32 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any USCIS EVIDENCE that proves that my marriage certificate that only states my maiden name rather than both my married name AND my maiden name is a valid. 

I COMPLETELY understand that I can elect to take my spouse's married name simply because it is listed on our MC but I got an RFIE for both I765 and I131 for "the name you provided on Form XXX does not match your name in other USCIS records".

I totally understand too that they could have simply lost my MCs but the RFIE goes on to state "Provide evidence that the name change was completed according to the relevant state (or foreign) law" so my concern is that line there as I have no evidence that the name change is actually legal.

I'm going to call the county clerk on Monday to find out if they can issue you me something that states that MCs in their county don't indicate the new married name and only the maiden name.  What do you think?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes.when we did the marriage agreement in Morocco the , judge wrote my maiden name from my birth certificate

i was using last name of my late husband as shown on passport and driver's license

and i signed my marriage as such (name of late husband)

i did not see this until we had the papers translated

but by posting all current and former names used on my application,  i never had a problem and i was concerned 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
4 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Does anyone have any USCIS EVIDENCE that proves that my marriage certificate that only states my maiden name rather than both my married name AND my maiden name is a valid. 

I COMPLETELY understand that I can elect to take my spouse's married name simply because it is listed on our MC but I got an RFIE for both I765 and I131 for "the name you provided on Form XXX does not match your name in other USCIS records".

I totally understand too that they could have simply lost my MCs but the RFIE goes on to state "Provide evidence that the name change was completed according to the relevant state (or foreign) law" so my concern is that line there as I have no evidence that the name change is actually legal.

I'm going to call the county clerk on Monday to find out if they can issue you me something that states that MCs in their county don't indicate the new married name and only the maiden name.  What do you think?

You can change your name with your country.So from what I know, your new passport with your new name after recording your marriage in your embassy (or however it works for your country some may differ) would be proof of name change too. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

With the number of posts on VJ about name change after marriage, I wonder why people still bother. There are times where I think I might as well change my last name to match my husband and child, and then I see more posts about issues and think, nah. So many documents to adjust. 

I know this isn't helpful to your conundrum, but to anyone else reading - consider doing it later? If at all? 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

57 minutes ago, eckoin said:

With the number of posts on VJ about name change after marriage, I wonder why people still bother. There are times where I think I might as well change my last name to match my husband and child, and then I see more posts about issues and think, nah. So many documents to adjust. 

I know this isn't helpful to your conundrum, but to anyone else reading - consider doing it later? If at all? 

I did consider asking it to be done at my AOS interview but it still isnt clear to me that all IOs will ask you/offer to issue it in the name of choosing. Then if they wouldnt do it there I would be stuck paying the huge GC correction fee later.

1 hour ago, Naes said:

You can change your name with your country.So from what I know, your new passport with your new name after recording your marriage in your embassy (or however it works for your country some may differ) would be proof of name change too. 

In Canada you need a government issued ID in the name you wish to change it to in order to apply for a new passport to change your name. Unfortunately my Married name SSN didnt come through nor could I apply for a DL in my state without the EAD. So I'm stuck in the revolving door. Thanks for the suggestion.😞

Timeline
5 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I did consider asking it to be done at my AOS interview but it still isnt clear to me that all IOs will ask you/offer to issue it in the name of choosing. Then if they wouldnt do it there I would be stuck paying the huge GC correction fee later.

I meant like... After citizenship. Way down the road. I had legally changed my name once, in Canada, not due to marriage but due to my extremely unfortunate family name, and it was a giant pain. I did it right between graduating high school and starting university, so I was pretty young--and it still sucked. 

At this point, there are multiple passports, SS card, drivers license, insurance, credit cards, debit cards, work email addresses, billing information for everything I pay for, hospital records, child records... Oh my goodness.

------------------

------------------

3 minutes ago, eckoin said:

I meant like... After citizenship. Way down the road. I had legally changed my name once, in Canada, not due to marriage but due to my extremely unfortunate family name, and it was a giant pain. I did it right between graduating high school and starting university, so I was pretty young--and it still sucked. 

At this point, there are multiple passports, SS card, drivers license, insurance, credit cards, debit cards, work email addresses, billing information for everything I pay for, hospital records, child records... Oh my goodness.

I hear ya. At the moment though I only have a passport, SSN and health insurance to change to my married name as not having the EAD has afforded me anything else. Seemed like a good time to do it now, lol. Not to mention the EASY way it claimed to be. We'll see. I'll call my county clerk on Monday and see if they can provide some sort of statement stating that they only issue MCs in the maiden name with no boxes stating new married names. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I hear ya. At the moment though I only have a passport, SSN and health insurance to change to my married name as not having the EAD has afforded me anything else. Seemed like a good time to do it now, lol. Not to mention the EASY way it claimed to be. We'll see. I'll call my county clerk on Monday and see if they can provide some sort of statement stating that they only issue MCs in the maiden name with no boxes stating new married names. 

Yeah man, I have no advice for you personally, it seems like something got jumbled in there somewhere and I hope you can get it handled without too much hassle. Good luck! 

Fair enough on not having too many things to deal with, but like... Still such a pain. I get it, but I just can't justify the effort. 

------------------

------------------

7 minutes ago, eckoin said:

Yeah man, I have no advice for you personally, it seems like something got jumbled in there somewhere and I hope you can get it handled without too much hassle. Good luck! 

Fair enough on not having too many things to deal with, but like... Still such a pain. I get it, but I just can't justify the effort. 

Thanks hunny! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My marriage certificate only contains my maiden name but I did not receive this REIE. Did you list your maiden name in the "previous names used" section?

1 minute ago, MLR14 said:

My marriage certificate only contains my maiden name but I did not receive this REIE. Did you list your maiden name in the "previous names used" section?

Yes. I did. That's why my assumption is the only thing that could have happened was they lost the MCs. Im really over thinking this I think. 

Thanks for reassuring me your Maiden name MCs are legit! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes. I did. That's why my assumption is the only thing that could have happened was they lost the MCs. Im really over thinking this I think. 

Thanks for reassuring me your Maiden name MCs are legit! 

Sounds like they just misplaced them then! I was confused when I got my marriage certificate and it didn't state my new name anywhere but I was reassured that this is normal!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
2 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

In Canada you need a government issued ID in the name you wish to change it to in order to apply for a new passport to change your name. Unfortunately my Married name SSN didnt come through nor could I apply for a DL in my state without the EAD. So I'm stuck in the revolving door. Thanks for the suggestion.😞

So I can only tell you what I did, we also need to change the name first in government records and then apply for a passport. What I did was to register my marriage in the embassy as vital records, which gave me the right to change my last name if I want to. This became my government issued ID (the records I mean) and I was able to apply for a new passport. as SSN is not a Turkish government ID they wouldn't accept that in my case.

I am sorry though it sounds like a ridiculous thing to happen either way...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Another data point here.

My understanding is that marriage certificates vary by state. Mine lists only the names of both parties before the marriage occurs, i.e. maiden names, and has no designated space of any sort to record married names. There were no issues with USCIS.

Hope you can get yours sorted out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.