Carolina Wilson

Removal of Conditions, not sure what to do, HELP

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Carolina, I am a foreign national, born in Argentina that obtained my conditional green card through marriage (8 months ago), our GC interview was super easy, we had enough proof of bona fide marriage and the interview lasted about 20 mins.

I met my husband when I was in medical school here in the US, we dated for one year and then got married (one year and 1/2 ago). After we got married I moved in with him and his family while I was waiting on my AOS to be over. Life was going great until problems started. My husband has some sort of bipolar disorder that I discovered once I moved in with him. He has mood swings that are horrible, we argue all the time for no reason, even the most tiny thing we do not agree on, he will go full on beast mode and start screaming at me for hours, same way he treats his parents (awkwardly enough, his parents are okay with it); I tried to make things better by just not voicing my opinion regarding any topic just to keep him happy; and Ill say that when he is happy he is a nice person, but as I said, the smallest thing will trigger this episodes. Every time he is in a bad mood he screams and insults me in ways that I've never heard before, from calling me dirty 'wetback, beaner', and all sorts of racial slur. His family is low-key racists so they drop the N word every hour for no reason, and blame every that is wrong in this country to Obama, black people and the AA. Being foreign and from Argentina I find it extremely uncomfortable. His parents and I get along very well (we obviously do not share some values, but they like me a lot), but his mother will stand by him, even when he is being irrational and rude.

Recently my husband started threatening me with divorce every time he gets angry at me; and this is the reason why I come here to VJ today.

I also recently signed a contract with a clinic in Atlanta to do my residency and become an OBGYN. It is a three year program that will start in August.

I am now extremely nervous regarding what to do; if things get out of control and he divorces me, should I quit my job half-way through my residency? Am I allowed to apply for ROC if I get divorced??? I am torn between trying to save my marriage and trying to fulfill my life long dream, and the reason why I came to the US. (I've had multiple visas before due to work and coming to the US was never an Issue, and I did not marry just for a stupid GC, I and just afraid I made a mistake by obtaining one). Should I give up on my GC and get a visa again?? Is that possible? - My only goal is to NOT get in trouble with uscis, as I have never broken any rules or overstayed my visas for the last 8 years I have been in this country.

TLDR:

- can I apply for ROC after a divorce? Marriage was legit and I do not wish to get a divorce, but his threats are very frequent and I am terrified.

- Am I in trouble if he divorces me? (as said before have no intentions of divorcing, I love this person and want things to change, but he is making this very hard for me to battle.

- I assume I need a lawyer for this mess, right?

Thank you for the help.

C

2 minutes ago, Carolina Wilson said:

TLDR:

- can I apply for ROC after a divorce? Marriage was legit and I do not wish to get a divorce, but his threats are very frequent and I am terrified.

- Am I in trouble if he divorces me? (as said before have no intentions of divorcing, I love this person and want things to change, but he is making this very hard for me to battle.

- I assume I need a lawyer for this mess, right?

Thank you for the help.

C

I am so sorry you’re facing all this. Life sometimes just throws us a curve ball. Anyway, the answers to your questions are:

1) Yes, you can file for ROC by yourself after a divorce. USCIS fully understands that even the best marriages with the most sincere intentions sometimes just don’t work out. It happens more often than you think. I have seen many posts here almost like every other week, there is someone who has done it retelling their stories. You just need evidence of the marriage was entered in good faith. 

2) No trouble at all. 

3) You can, or you can do it yourself. Last month or so I believe I saw a post from a law school grad waiting to take her bar exam who did it by herself and got the 10 year green card. I can try to find that post and you can connect with her. I’m sure she’ll be happy to help. My knowledge in the details of this is limited as of course I never did it myself. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I am so sorry you’re facing all this. Life sometimes just throws us a curve ball. Anyway, the answers to your questions are:

1) Yes, you can file for ROC by yourself after a divorce. USCIS fully understands that even the best marriages with the most sincere intentions sometimes just don’t work out. It happens more often than you think. I have seen many posts here almost like every other week, there is someone who has done it retelling their stories. You just need evidence of the marriage was entered in ngood faith. 

2) No trouble at all. 

3) You can, or you can do it yourself. Last month or so I believe I saw a post from a law school grad waiting to take her bar exam who did it by herself and got the 10 year green card. I can try to find that post and you can connect with her. I’m sure she’ll be happy to help. My knowledge in the details of this is limited as of course I never did it myself. 

Thanks for your reply. all things good to know.

I am terrified that the denial of my ROC will finish my career and get me in trouble with uscis, which I do not intend to do.

I will surely get an attorney as we did for our AOS. And yes, I have plenty of evidence of Bona fide marriage.

Thank you!

Edited by Carolina Wilson

Timeline
10 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

1) Yes, you can file for ROC by yourself after a divorce. USCIS fully understands that even the best marriages with the most sincere intentions sometimes just don’t work out. It happens more often than you think. I have seen many posts here almost like every other week, there is someone who has done it retelling their stories. You just need evidence of the marriage was entered in good faith. 

2) No trouble at all. 

I am terrified that the denial of my ROC will finish my career and get me in trouble with uscis, which I do not intend to do.

I will surely get an attorney as we did for our AOS. And yes, I have plenty of evidence of Bona fide marriage.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

So sorry what you are going through

you don't have to quit your job, you can file yourself for a ROC with a divorce waiver

Vamos Argentina!!!!!!!!!!

😎

34 minutes ago, Carolina Wilson said:

I will surely get an attorney as we did for our AOS. And yes, I have plenty of evidence of Bona fide marriage.

Thank you!

Good luck to you! Hang in there. For now, keep working on your marriage but keep all the evidence of a good faith marriage. Is he open to going to see a pyschiatrist or something or he just doesn’t think there is a problem at all?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

OP, I'm sorry you're going through this tough situation.  I suggest you read up on VAWA and take precautions to keep yourself safe in case your husband's episodes escalate.

Also, you might find similar cases to yours in this section of VJ:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/127-effects-of-major-family-changes-on-immigration-benefits/

I wish you well.

Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

Good luck to you! Hang in there. For now, keep working on your marriage but keep all the evidence of a good faith marriage. Is he open to going to see a pyschiatrist or something or he just doesn’t think there is a problem at all?

Well, I tried to make that happen, but he went hulk mode and I had to withstand an hour of insults. I promise I try, and I do not want to end this, but his threats are so frequent and he assumes he has me hostage due to the green card thing. It is just to much to endure somedays and I can see him just divorcing me a random day. 

Do you think a lawyer would be willing to help me with this, once the time comes of course, I just think of all the worst case scenarios of course, a very short marriage and a divorce only a few months after I got my conditional GC. 

Some days I just wanna quit and go back home, but at the same time I came here for this career. : ( 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from ROC General Discussion to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits to be among similar threads**

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

45 minutes ago, Carolina Wilson said:

Well, I tried to make that happen, but he went hulk mode and I had to withstand an hour of insults. I promise I try, and I do not want to end this, but his threats are so frequent and he assumes he has me hostage due to the green card thing. It is just to much to endure somedays and I can see him just divorcing me a random day. 

Do you think a lawyer would be willing to help me with this, once the time comes of course, I just think of all the worst case scenarios of course, a very short marriage and a divorce only a few months after I got my conditional GC. 

Some days I just wanna quit and go back home, but at the same time I came here for this career. : ( 

Yes, a lawyer can help, but it has to be a right lawyer. I know a very good immigration lawyer, extremely knowledgeable and she specializes in difficulty cases, cases that have been denied and filing appeals. She successfully appealed and reversed many visas and petitions denials. I did a consultation with her, did not actually hired her because I didn’t need to, but she definitely made a good impression to me. Your case I wouldn’t call it difficult though, but of course you want to consult or hire a lawyer, you can. PM me if you need this lawyer. One other thing I just think of is if you can, collect as much evidence of these rude, insulting episodes (recording it maybe). Abuse does not have to come in physical form. It can be mental and emotional as well, and you may have a case for VAWA (Violence Against Women Act). 

14 hours ago, Carolina Wilson said:

Thank you!

People file for RoC while going through a divorce or already being divorced all the time. USCIS aren't expecting all immigrants to live out fairytale Disney marriages in order to keep legal status. Sorry you're going through this but you seem independent and intelligent enough to make it through just fine, whichever way your marriage goes. Honestly though, if you are terrified, you should get out now before he escalates to physical harm. He may not have said or done such things yet but he sounds very angry and the angrier someone gets, the more unpredictable their behavior gets as well.

Just a word of caution though: make sure you have your own copies of all AoS related paperwork and documents of financial comingling. This is really where a lot of people trip up if filing RoC with a divorce waiver: they don't have copies of paperwork because their ex has it all.

Some advice often shared on here that applies to your situation:  Keep your important documents, including immigration documents, evidence of your good faith marriage, and, if necessary, evidence of his mistreatment of you, in a safe location he does not have access to.  A safe deposit at a bank could be one example.  While ROC with a divorce is definitely possible, some people on here have struggled with providing enough evidence after having divorced an abusive spouse who kept or destroyed evidence. 

I understand that you want to work on your marriage, and no one here can tell you whether or not it is worthwhile.  But it could be wise to have a stash of evidence in case things don't work out, as he could get worse in his treatment of you.  Racist and derogatory language is already pretty bad.

Good luck!  Don't give up on your dreams.  If he doesn't want to come along for the great life you have planned for yourself then it's his loss, not yours.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, dawning said:

Some advice often shared on here that applies to your situation:  Keep your important documents, including immigration documents, evidence of your good faith marriage, and, if necessary, evidence of his mistreatment of you, in a safe location he does not have access to.  A safe deposit at a bank could be one example.  While ROC with a divorce is definitely possible, some people on here have struggled with providing enough evidence after having divorced an abusive spouse who kept or destroyed evidence. 

I understand that you want to work on your marriage, and no one here can tell you whether or not it is worthwhile.  But it could be wise to have a stash of evidence in case things don't work out, as he could get worse in his treatment of you.  Racist and derogatory language is already pretty bad.

Good luck!  Don't give up on your dreams.  If he doesn't want to come along for the great life you have planned for yourself then it's his loss, not yours.

Thank you.

I will surely start gathering all I have and keep it safe. 

C

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.