47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks Georgia. Am waiting for the attorney to get back to me.

I called the NVC they have still not received the package and they say that it will be sent back to the USCIS and i need to follow up with them

to know the status in some days.

Do you think i can contact the USCIS?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
3 minutes ago, AngDon19 said:

Thanks Georgia. Am waiting for the attorney to get back to me.

I called the NVC they have still not received the package and they say that it will be sent back to the USCIS and i need to follow up with them

to know the status in some days.

Do you think i can contact the USCIS?

They won't know anything about it since they have not received it yet as it has just been sent back.

1 hour ago, ujones said:

@AngDon19, I am still early in the process & haven’t had my interview yet. So I don’t really know how the denial process work either. But I’m sure we have a lot of knowledgeable people here including @Greenbaum who will be able to help you find an answer. 

@geowrian has given the BEST answer. I can't add anything that would be different from his/her response to you.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

2 hours ago, AngDon19 said:

Does this mean NVC sends it over to USCIS or it goes directly to the USCIS from the Mumbai consulate?

It will pass through NVC but is being sent back to USCIS. NVC is just the facility to coordinate between USCIS and DOS.

When they receive it will they let us know the denial? How long do you think it will be before we hear from the?

They will receive it, let it expire, then send you a notice that the petition is expired. They will not review it (they stopped this years ago for the I-129F) and therefore will have no additional information to provide about why it was refused.

It's a bit complicated why they do this, but the long and short of it is to avoid a misrepresentation-based permanent bar. They let it expire and permit you to just reapply or marry & file for a spousal visa (highly preferred over trying fro another K-1).

As for how long, it's usually a month or 2 for USCIS to get it once the embassy actually sends it back (not just when they say they will do so).

Then it will sit at USCIS until the approval expires. The approval is initially valid for 4 months and renewed/extended in intervals of 4 months.

if we get an email then can we apply again?

You can technically reapply for a K-1 right now (with a formal withdrawal letter for the previous I-129F). Or you can wait for the existing I-129F to expire first.

But it is highly suggested to marry and just file an I-130 for a spouse. You can do this anytime - no need to wait for the petition to be returned and expire.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack posts have been removed. Please do not post your questions to your case in another members thread. It is also English only in the Main forums. If you must post in another language please do so in the proper regional forum. Changing quotes from another member is a TOS violation do not do that again.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, from reading this thread it sounds like your attorney may not have front-loaded enough information to convince the IO that the relationship was bona fide.  That or the engagement ring photos looked too much like a wedding ceremony.  Whatever happened, it is done now and it's time to move on.  Whether you try for a K-1 again or get married and try for a CR-1 (highly recommended), DON'T hire an attorney this time, do it all yourself, and front-load the petition by including lots of evidence of time spent together.  And do a lot more reading about the process here on VJ, and study similar cases to yours to find out what worked for others.  Good luck!

19 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

OP, from reading this thread it sounds like your attorney may not have front-loaded enough information to convince the IO that the relationship was bona fide.  That or the engagement ring photos looked too much like a wedding ceremony.  Whatever happened, it is done now and it's time to move on.  Whether you try for a K-1 again or get married and try for a CR-1 (highly recommended), DON'T hire an attorney this time, do it all yourself, and front-load the petition by including lots of evidence of time spent together.  And do a lot more reading about the process here on VJ, and study similar cases to yours to find out what worked for others.  Good luck!

@carmel34, perfect advice. Learning the process is very crucial as we cannot trust a third person take as much interest in our life as we do ourselves. I regret not getting on to VJ prior to submitting my I 129 as even though I think I did a great job front loading my petition I also made a small mistake by mentioning abt  engagement & including  a ring receipt. So now for my upcoming interview I hve to prove that it was a simple engagement with no guest. But if I was in this forum before had known it that I should not say anything I would not hve done it. Hopefully everything will go smooth for our interview but knowledge is power 

18 hours ago, AngDon19 said:

We have submittedt them all  proof of all documents. I just believe they do not like Indians and i happened to be the victim.

Please don't use that kind of terminology again! 

It seems to be a common tendency for denied Indians to accuse a CO of being unfair/rude/doesn't like Indians, etc. I've seen that on several desi(India)-centric forums. Fact is, if you have all your ducks in a row, K1s and CR1s are approved without issues. There are numerous posts of Indian nationals being approved. You are not a victim! 

Suggest that you guys get married, and file for the CR1. 

And get rid of the lawyer.  CR1/2 can be done on your own!

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

You can file a Freedom of Information Act inquiry or ask via a congressional office.   But the reality of it is once it has been sent back to the NVC it will never go back to the embassy.  This is a major difference to the spousal visa which can be appealed. 

You can file another K1 but do yourself a favor and get married.   It is cheaper, and you will end up with a green card before getting the K1 and adjusting.   Plus if it is rejected at the embassy you can actually appeal.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Thanks Carmel. Will look into this but my fear is what after we get married they deny us since the first time we got denied. Also can we start the process soon as we get married?

13 minutes ago, AngDon19 said:

Thanks Carmel. Will look into this but my fear is what after we get married they deny us since the first time we got denied. Also can we start the process soon as we get married?

You can start the process as soon as you have a legal marriage certificate.  Different jurisdictions take different lengths of time to issue the document, but most couples should be able to get it within six weeks of marriage.

And since you already know that it will take upwards of one year, you can prepare for the interview by spending as much time together as possible and commingling households (as much as you can from afar).  There are many, many posts and guides on this site about doing just that.

Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I understand your fear of possibly getting denied after marriage and filing the CR-1, I live with that fear every day, as the outcome of any visa application, even for a spouse, is never guaranteed.  So you have to weigh the risks, the options, do lots of research, and if you love each other enough, you will eventually be together somehow, somewhere.  It may take a long time, but it will happen if you are determined and very patient.  Read all the advice here on Visa Journey.  Study the CR-1 guide and follow it exactly.  Spend time together and save the documents to prove all of your visits.  Co-mingle finances as much as you can based on many previous threads and suggestions on the subject.  You also need to think about a plan B in case there is an eventual denial, just to set your mind at ease.  Chances for approval are much better for a CR-1 than a K-1 because it shows more commitment, to be married already, but it also requires more evidence to prove a bona fide marriage.  And if it is eventually denied, you can appeal the decision or go to your plan B.  Are you willing to move to India to be with your spouse if the US visa is denied?  Live together in another country outside the US and try again in a year or two?  This process is long, complicated, frustrating, and uncertain, but if you really, truly love each other and want to spend the rest of your lives with each other, you will find a way.  Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.