Speedysam

Traveling outside the US without an advance parole

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Speedysam said:

What is the process of transferring her approved and pending  I130 to a consular process. 

Contact the USCIS office where you filed AOS for her and ask.  Explain what happened, that she left the country before getting AP.  They will tell you to start over and file a new I-130 because she is now outside the US, the one you filed is automatically void.  She will have to wait the 14-16 months in Colombia for a spousal visa.  Good luck.

Edited by carmel34

10 minutes ago, Speedysam said:

Visitor visa

She will most likely not be able to get that again.  File the new I-130.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Why would she even leave US in the middle of the process? The instructions are so clear, stating that it will mean abandoning the whole thing...

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Under what process does her Visitor Visa get cancelled automatically when you file to adjust?

Asking for a friend.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

46 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

She will most likely not be able to get that again.  File the new I-130.

I don't think he has to file a new I-130. The existing I-130 will continue to be processed. Only the I-485/I-131/I-765 will be abandoned. 

58 minutes ago, Speedysam said:

Visitor visa

OP, as everyone mentioned, the AOS is considered abandoned/canceled. It is extremely unlikely that your wife will get a B1/B2 again. You need to file for an application for action on an approved application or petition (form I-824). 

https://www.murthy.com/2018/07/12/changing-from-adjustment-of-status-to-consular-processing/

Changing From Adjustment of Status to Consular Processing

For most types of immigrant petitions, such as a family-based petition for an alien relative (form I-130) or an employment-based petition for an alien worker (form I-140), the petitioner must indicate whether the foreign national beneficiary will be applying for adjustment of status (form I-485) from within the United States, or applying for an immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate abroad, commonly referred to as consular processing.

If the immigrant petition indicates that consular processing will be used, but the foreign national instead decides to apply for adjustment of status, form I-485 can be used as normal. On the other hand, if the immigrant petition indicates that the beneficiary will apply for adjustment of status, but the beneficiary instead decides to use the consular processing option, an application for action on an approved application or petition (form I-824) typically must be submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Form I-824 Used to Have Case Transferred to National Visa Center

If the consular processing option is indicated on an immigrant petition, after the petition is approved, the case is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). Once the priority date is current, or at least close to becoming current, the NVC transfers the case to the appropriate consulate and the beneficiary is scheduled for an interview. More details on how this process operates are available in the MurthyDotCom NewsBrief, Role of National Visa Center in Immigrant Visa Cases(05.Jan.2015).

If the immigrant petition indicates that the case will be completed using the adjustment-of-status option, but the beneficiary decides instead to switch to consular processing, form I-824 is needed in order to have the case transferred to the NVC. Form I-824 generally should be filed as soon as possible, as it can take months to adjudicate. Further, note that, for most types of cases, the petitioner is required to sign the I-824.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Speedysam said:

What is the process of transferring her approved and pending  I130 to a consular process. 

What I would do is call USCIS yo might be able to save the I130 you file. Tell them whst happened and ask to have the I130 sent to NVC when completed and approved. 

I130 hasn't been approved right?

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Do I need to just file I824 and re apply for adjustment of status(I485-I765 and I131)

will she get a spouse visa promptly 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Speedysam said:

i130 has been received by USCIS and it is pending according to the receipt

You just need to get it moved as she will now be going through her local Consulate, see above.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Speedysam said:

Do I need to just file I824 and re apply for adjustment of status(I485-I765 and I131)

The I-130 is still good.  You need to get it to consular processing instead of adjustment of status by filing form I-824.

There is no reapplying for an adjustment of status.  Your wife will need a spousal visa which will take about a year.

Nothing is going to be prompt.  It will take about a year for your wife to get a spousal immigrant visa.

The visitor visa was not automatically cancelled when your wife filed for AOS.  However, filing for AOS shows immigrant intent and her visitor visa would be cancelled if she tries to enter the US as a tourist and she will be put on the next flight home at her expense.  

52 minutes ago, Speedysam said:

No reapplying adjustment of status. That ship has sailed. She cannot adjust status because by definition, only people inside the US can adjust status. People outside the US has to obtain an immigration visa through consular processing. She will not be able to come back to US until she receives an immigrant visa, at which point she will be able to enter as a Lawful Permanent Resident and receive the GC immediately after she enters. 

The process is you have to wait for the I-130 to be approved, then it will be forwarded to the NVC and then to the local Consular Post where your wife will attend the interview. The only thing is since already indicated on I-130 that you would do AOS, they won't automatically transfer the petition to the NVC. Hence the need to file the I-824 to tell them to do that.  The whole process will take about 12-14 months until she is able to come back on an immigrant visa (that's if everything goes well). If it was the reverse ( you indicated that you want CP but instead changing to AOS), you can just simply file the I-485. 

The only thing I don't know is: do you have to wait until the I-130 is approved to file the I-824 or you can just do it now? Maybe it's worth a phone call to USCIS and talk to tier 2 officer or take an appointment at the local office. 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline

My understanding is that you can file it right now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.