Tommy john

So worried just Married, not living together, no money!! (merged)

51 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

I think if you just met and got married and have no proof of a bona fide marriage you are in for a difficult time.  I don’t know why people rush into something so life changing without researching anything.

If your spouse is from a high fraud country, you may be working on this for enough years that you’ll at least have a chance to develop a relationship.  Everything you stated (got married in three months, have nothing to show as evidence) sounds like a green card marriage to be perfectly honest.  I would probably look at making trips, keeping chats and opening any accounts you have together and wait a little while before filling.  

Si el rio truena... es porque piedras trae... So said my wise late grandmother. Let's just play devil's advocate for a second, though. Even if this is a true marriage, there is a really good chance that USCIS may disagree, and he will get to his interview to find an ambush, and getting separated, etc etc.

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

5 hours ago, Tommy john said:

massages ,

Nice but not necessarily evidence of bona fide marriage. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I feel that it is in everyone's best interest to follow the I-130 directions - page 3/12 - which state

"Evidence. At the time of filing, you must submit all evidence and supporting documentation listed in the General Requirements section of these Instructions. USCIS may issue a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) or a Denial Notice for petitions filed without the required supporting evidence."

Historically, we have all seen that those adjusting from visas other than K-1, have much easier interviews when they front-load plenty of evidence of bona fide marriage. 

Time and time again, we see foks who get through AOS with mininal evidence. Then, the marriage ends up falling apart before removing conditions. And they end up scrambling to come up with evidence of bona fide marriage for a I-751 petition on the basis of divorce. The way I see it, if you start out with a boat load of evidence, and your marriage falls apart later, then it's all there. We kept two clones of the 13 lb package we sent USCIS. Say I die, and my husband ends up having to remove conditions on his own, he will have a pretty good base of documents to file. 

But that's just me.  The days of sending USCIS the bare minimum are over. Officers have to justify their decisions. The process is invasive. We all signed up for it. It is what it is. 

Best of luck to OP! 

I-751 Joint Filing.

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

Lets see, with our I-130 we sent, after the basics:

One bank account statement 

10 photos

A few receipts of things we did together (really it was a waste if time to send these)

Joint car insurance

2 affidavits

Beneficiary of life insurance

Yup thats about it... 

I had emails and chats but saved those for an RFE (that we never got)

Our list for the i-751 was much thicker and better obviously as we had been married for almost 3 years at that time.  

They really dont expect newlyweds to have a bunch.

If you were really asking for a friend, next time say its for a friend, or better yet, tell the friend to join. I still am not sure I believe it, but Im not the one judging your file or marriage either. 

FWIW, we had only been dating for 6 months when we married. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 hours ago, Tommy john said:

So what’s your advice ?

we will do three joint bank accounts tomorrow 

You were also asked what country are you from?

4 hours ago, NikLR said:

Lets see, with our I-130 we sent, after the basics:

One bank account statement 

10 photos

A few receipts of things we did together (really it was a waste if time to send these)

Joint car insurance

2 affidavits

Beneficiary of life insurance

Yup thats about it... 

I had emails and chats but saved those for an RFE (that we never got)

Our list for the i-751 was much thicker and better obviously as we had been married for almost 3 years at that time.  

They really dont expect newlyweds to have a bunch.

If you were really asking for a friend, next time say its for a friend, or better yet, tell the friend to join. I still am not sure I believe it, but Im not the one judging your file or marriage either. 

FWIW, we had only been dating for 6 months when we married. 

Every case is different and unique. You filed in 2012 and did consular processing. The year and the route matter. All we can say is that in your case, whoever reviewed your file deemed your evidence as sufficient to show your marriage is bona fide. We can't extrapolate from your case -Sample size 1 - and say that is going to work for everyone.

This is from 1mm1h3lp. What should have been an easy and straightfoward interview for a couple that has been married longer than 2 years, took an unexpected turn. From what I gathered, they did not submit much evidence with their AOS petition but brought an OK amount of evidence to the interview. On that site, we have seen several NOIDs issued after an initial interview - the issue again; they submitted a marriage certificate with a thing here and there.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Interview didn't go well. Detroit, MI

Here's our timeline.
Jan 3 & Jan 5 = Case received 
Jan 29 - Biometerics appt
Feb 5 - RFE I864 tax returns
Sometime in March/April they continued process our case
July 23rd - EAD in hand
Oct 23 - Interview scheduled 
Nov 27 - Interview

We ended up being 20 min late because of construction on the highway. (We thought we left in enough time). We checked in. i feel as if our IO was not polite, she didn't introduce herself. Didn't call me by name like all the other officers were doing, she just called us Mr and Mrs (our last name). She went straight to the point, asked us about our wedding our relationship etc. My husband was so nervous he said the wrong wedding date and the Interview went down hill from there. She kept saying I overstayed (I am DACA) and she had to get to the bottom of it. She said we didn't submit a lot of bonafide evidence. I submitted (what I thought was enough), we lost a lot of things due to a flood in the house we were staying in while we were homeless. I don't feel like we got a chance to explain much, once she wrapped it up she said expect a letter in a few days. 

On Nov 29 I received a case update that said on Nov 21st my case is ready to be scheduled for an Interview. I called USCIS and they said it was a glitch and to disregard.. 

I am DACA since 2013. My husband and I were married July 2016 filed and Dec 30 2017 and here we are. 

What do I expect? She said she wants to see more, but as of now we haven't heard anything. Has anyone else had any problems with this office? Any bad interview experience?

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

I-751 Joint Filing.

I never said the OP should send what i sent.  I forgot to list the 3 boarding passes from visits as well, the receipts went with those. Just listing what we sent.  As the OP is doing AOS at least they have the opportunity to build on their case and present more at interview.  This isnt your thread. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

You will be expected to have signs of bona-fide marriage that are typical for newly-weds, maybe like: 
1. Moving in together. Add her/him on your lease, utility payments, etc. 
2. Strong, mutual romantic attraction. Convincing story for the romantic connection. BTW, if the beneficiary is 20 years old and the petitioner is 55, it will be less convincing. :) 
3. Joint bank accounts, credit cards. 
4. Adding him/her on your insurance. 
5. Buying big items for the family together such as furniture, car, etc. 
6. Wedding, honeymoon, photos/evidence/tickets, etc. 

They will scrutinize every marriage, but they will scrutinize quickies more. But it is your right to marry the person you like, none can judge you for that. Pile up evidence that your marriage is real and stand your ground honestly. They will give you a conditional green card anyway, which is the uscis safety net for quickies. 

Edited by MyJourney

Relax, this is not a race.

3 minutes ago, Tommy john said:

Hi folks!!!!

can I waived fees for I-485 ?

If you are filing for AOS then the fees for AP and the EAD are already waived. 

22 minutes ago, Tommy john said:

But the form I-485 that is almost 1000$ ?

Generally, seeking a fee waiver is not recommended as it can cast some doubt on the public charge front: https://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver Has your spouse already filed the I-130 (the I-130 has a separate $535 fee)? USCIS now accepts credit cards: https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-expands-credit-card-payment-option-fees

Edited by lummo

Sorry,  this isn't going to be cheap.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.