UAtoUS

Will Martial Law in Ukraine influence the Visa approval?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Guys, I've had real fun going through speculations about impending apocalypse in Ukraine ;) There is no lack of food, gas, cash, police or health care. And no evidence suggesting it will happen.  We have been through much harder and scarier times in 2014. Yes, you can try to expedite but go to May and June threads and you will see that unsuccessful (and 99% your attempt to expedite your case due to implied Ukraine hardships will be unsuccessful) attempt to expedite results in 1 to 1.5 month delay because it interrupts the normal prtocess which is slow going by itself. It is quite understandable that you are worried for your SOs and your SOs want to join you ASAP but unless you have other sound reasons to be worried or to seek expedite, just relax and enjoy the coming holidays. 

Timeline

By the way, if you want an idea of how the DOS sees the situation in Ukraine, you may check it at  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Ukraine.html#/

All Ukraine including 10 affected areas apart from Donetsk, Luhansk and Crimea (level 4) is considered level 2 (out of 4) and just one level apart from normal (level 1). France, UK and Germany are also level 2 by the way. 

Edited by HP+IC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
9 hours ago, UAtoUS said:

Thanks. But I am kind of freaking out for real here because she lives only 30 min from Russian border and our NOA2 is due in March that is around the time of election in Ukraine and considering their history in the past few elections it wasn't really safe at all. 

When Ukrainians disagree with election, they  demonstrate it in the capital of the country. 

So,  if something happens after the elections, it will be on Kiev streets, not in a border town.   

Timeline

The way the media blows up this martial law thing to make it seems more than what it is makes me laugh.

I live in Baltimore, MD - in the city - and we had Martial law here a few years ago when we had the riots after the death of Freddie Gray.  It basically meant you cant leave your house after 8pm and everything shut down.  From talking to my fiance it sounds like the same situation In the affected areas in Ukraine.

Edited by GP1977

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ksenia_O said:

When Ukrainians disagree with election, they  demonstrate it in the capital of the country. 

So,  if something happens after the elections, it will be on Kiev streets, not in a border town.   

I have worked for a state agency right in the governmental quarter for a couple of years and we have had civil protests in front of the building literally every day. What really is bothersome in Kiev, it's false bomb warnings at subway stations. You may get stuck on your way to the train station and that's serious. Though they have all been false, subway traffic may be interrupted for an hour or so. As to people coming into the streets, Kiev in case of emergency easily deploys several thousand trained police officers and if that is not enough, there  is a National guard military training camp just like 15 km away. There is normally the same amount of police as the protesters. As to the regions, they are quiet by themselves but in case of necessity police and the National guard are deployed as well, they have done it in Odessa every May. And as to the Martial Law, it is expressly declared that restrictive measures may be implemented in case of Russia invading Ukraine by land. 

Frankly speaking, I am freaking out about school shootings in the USA much more than any hazard in Ukraine.

Edited by HP+IC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, HP+IC said:

Guys, I've had real fun going through speculations about impending apocalypse in Ukraine ;) There is no lack of food, gas, cash, police or health care. And no evidence suggesting it will happen.  We have been through much harder and scarier times in 2014. Yes, you can try to expedite but go to May and June threads and you will see that unsuccessful (and 99% your attempt to expedite your case due to implied Ukraine hardships will be unsuccessful) attempt to expedite results in 1 to 1.5 month delay because it interrupts the normal prtocess which is slow going by itself. It is quite understandable that you are worried for your SOs and your SOs want to join you ASAP but unless you have other sound reasons to be worried or to seek expedite, just relax and enjoy the coming holidays. 

??????????????

I don't really understand how it slows down to process. All the people on here told me otherwise, that it will not slow down. Please explain. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, GP1977 said:

The way the media blows up this martial law thing to make it seems more than what it is makes me laugh.

I live in Baltimore, MD - in the city - and we had Martial law here a few years ago when we had the riots after the death of Freddie Gray.  It basically meant you cant leave your house after 8pm and everything shut down.  From talking to my fiance it sounds like the same situation In the affected areas in Ukraine.

Ukraine is very different from the USA. Martial law in Ukraine is not just about having a curfew. What media says about it is exactly what it is. 

There is war in Ukraine, and the situation is escalating.

Edited by Olichka

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Olichka said:

Ukraine is very different from the USA. Martial law in Ukraine is not just about having a curfew. What media says about it is exactly what it is. 

39 minutes ago, UAtoUS said:

??????????????

I don't really understand how it slows down to process. All the people on here told me otherwise, that it will not slow down. Please explain. 

Gosh, it's been war in Ukraine going on for almost 5 years. And the situation is not escalating by any means. 

You may want to look at the latest postings in June thread or try your own luck :) almost all June expedite requests were for military reasons .... and all denied.  Current situation in Ukraine has nothing to do with real qualifying reasons

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
1 hour ago, UAtoUS said:

??????????????

In response to your request to expedite the case has to be assigned for an IO's  re-view. And if the request is denied (and this is what's going to happen), then there is no guarantee the case will be put in the same order in line - unfortunately, cases are not getting reviewed by date or in the order they have been sent. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Olichka said:

All countries are different.

So, what IS it about, a Martial Law in Ukraine?.... Have you even read the Law?

http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb2/webproc4_1?pf3511=65008

..can't believe it is still possible  nowadays- to believe in everything what media says. 

With all respect - sometimes, especially in times  like this one, it's necessary to calm down, be selective with Media to read/believe  and control the info about war from Official sources.

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline

Yep, the poster in June thread believed his case could have been adjudicated by now (almost 180 days) had he not requested expedite. 

As to Martial law, the strongest restriction probably may be booze sale ban but nothing of the kind is expected. Martial law is almost there, starting 9 am tomorrow ;) And the whole thing is carefully scheduled not to intervene with New Year celebrations 

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
2 hours ago, Olichka said:

The situation is not what you are making it out be. As has been mentioned in previous posts, war has been going on for years in Ukraine and the State Department has it as a Level 2 advisory (except crimea and donestk) and that is the same as China and many Western European Countries.   If it becomes an unsafe situation, our state department will issue an appropriate advisory.  If you want to justify it internally to yourself that you qualify for an expedite b/c of this "escalating situation", then go ahead and ask USCIS. But its not.

My fiancee lives in Zaporozhye, and she seems to think its nothing serious, just Poroschenko trying to delay the vote or bolster his standing since he is trailing pretty badly in the polls for the election. She said she hasnt seen much in the way of extra military presence other than when she went to Vasliyvka to finish renewing her passport.

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.