UAtoUS

Will Martial Law in Ukraine influence the Visa approval?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The news just came out that Ukraine might declare Martial Law because of the conflicts with Russia. We should be getting our NOA2 in March. My fiancee in Ukraine freaking out saying if they do so it will stop the process and they will not let anyone leave the country during that time. That would mean that she will not get her interview at the embassy? 

Does any one know what would happen? Will this influence in any way our process? Please help.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are a long ways off until March.  Recommend your fiancée stop over-reacting.  We just heard the proposal for marshal law was for 30 days.   Ukrainian parliament is in session on it right now.   Many in Ukraine are emotionally tense at the moment.  My opinion is that it will have no effect on you.  But nobody really knows what will occur in the future. 

Timeline

At this juncture, it is to early to tell what Martial Law will do, if anything.  Remember, Martial Law will affect Ukrainians and their life, but not how the embassy operates.  I haven't read anything along the lines of what she is saying.  I remember back in '14, when we were applying, there were all sorts of rumors, too.  What I did was expedite the processing.  I requested as how it would be a burden on myself, not my fiancé.  How I would need to go there to support her and her girls, how this would financially impact me/us and how it could possibly affect my employment.  Yes, this was approved.  I think we saved about 6 months in processing time.  Need to communicate with your fiancé about not believing everything they hear on the street.  Dig through the rumor mill to find the truth.  If anything, Martial Law will affect the government and the military, not so much the individual citizen.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, UAtoUS said:

The news just came out that Ukraine might declare Martial Law because of the conflicts with Russia. We should be getting our NOA2 in March. My fiancee in Ukraine freaking out saying if they do so it will stop the process and they will not let anyone leave the country during that time. That would mean that she will not get her interview at the embassy? 

Does any one know what would happen? Will this influence in any way our process? Please help.  

Ukrainian Parliament still has to approve whatever the president decrees. They are having meeting right now and from what I see on-line (live) - it's turning to a mess. So I'd say it's still a big question if the Law gets approved by Parliament.

Anyway, even if it IS approved, it would be for 60 days (30?) and should be over by January 25 of 2019.  Definitely some civil rights may be limited or restricted. But not necessary.  

So as long as US Embassy keeps working and  your Fiance  is not on military duty, I don't see any problem for her to leave the country once her K-1 is issued.  

I understand your worries - I was in K1/K2 process in 2013-2014 and every day we lived in a 'fear" of loosing internet, or Martial Law and etc.. I have my parents there, still, and also a scheduled trip to Ukraine, in April 2019

For now the only thing we can do - just wait and see what Parliament will decide.  Nothing else can be done at the moment. if they go with Martial Law, then restrictions of civil rights   must be announced, so we will know if Ukrainians can leave the country or they would need a some kind of permission...

Honestly, I don't see how that even possible - to  keep all people , locked in the country, and international airports closed - every family there has at last one family member  across the Europe, if not across the World... 

Timeline

Thanks for your replies. I guess nothing we can do now but wait and see what they decide and what new Law they will make for citizens if any. 

We were also thinking of applying for B-1 guest visa around Christmas so she could visit me for a week or two, but I guess that is out of the question now. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, UAtoUS said:

Thanks for your replies. I guess nothing we can do now but wait and see what they decide and what new Law they will make for citizens if any. 

We were also thinking of applying for B-1 guest visa around Christmas so she could visit me for a week or two, but I guess that is out of the question now. 

Honestly, her chances to get B1/B2 approval are from slim to zero, especially with I-129F pending... 

but it doesn't hurt to try - the only loss would be $160.0 visa fee.

Well, Kiev is beautiful during Christmas and New Year time, and there are a lot of good  meal right on the streets there during the Holidays :). so, maybe - you could get a chance to go?..... 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Well, Kiev is beautiful during Christmas and New Year time, and there are a lot of good  meal right on the streets there during the Holidays :). so, maybe - you could get a chance to go?..... 

I never went to Kiev during winter. I am sure it is nice. But to be honest it will depend on this Martial Law thing and what will be happening during that time.  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, UAtoUS said:

I never went to Kiev during winter. I am sure it is nice. But to be honest it will depend on this Martial Law thing and what will be happening during that time.  

i have been in Kiev in October and it was nice, but i would wait for this to mellow down and wait till your fiance comes safely to the US. Not worth the risk of getting stuck there will all the uncertanties

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not unless she's in the Ukrainian military now and/or trying to evade military service. It has been proclaimed 10000000 times that NO civil rights and freedoms will be infringed upon. Some people just like horror stories, but this is not the case now

Timeline
1 hour ago, Alabamak1 said:

i have been in Kiev in October and it was nice, but i would wait for this to mellow down and wait till your fiance comes safely to the US. Not worth the risk of getting stuck there will all the uncertanties

There is no way and no risk to get stuck there. My fiance is coming for Xmas and flying via Kiev to Odessa. Travel to Ukraine may be complicated if you are a Russian national, definitely not for Americans. Whatever happens is well under control and is by no means aimed at making life harder for Americans

Timeline
2 hours ago, UAtoUS said:

Seems like Parliament approved Martial Law, but not the president's "version" and partly.

The Law will be provided only in 9 areas - Vinnytsia, Luhansk, Mykolaiv, Donetsk, Odessa, Sumy, Kharkiv, Chernihiv, Kherson and Zaporizhia. Basically, border cities. And it's for 30 days.

Timeline

Not Donetsk and not Zaporizhia. 28.11.2018 to 25.12.2018. Actually, nothing to write home about

1. Вінницька
  2. Луганська
  3. Миколаївська
  4. Одеська
  5. Сумська
  6. Харківська
  7. Чернігівська
  8. Херсонська
  9. Внутрішні води Азово-Керченської акваторії.
Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
23 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Not Donetsk and not Zaporizhia. 28.11.2018 to 25.12.2018. Actually, nothing to write home about

1. Вінницька
  2. Луганська
  3. Миколаївська
  4. Одеська
  5. Сумська
  6. Харківська
  7. Чернігівська
  8. Херсонська

She lives in Kharkiv now, so this will influence her region. But listening to all of you it should not influence our process. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

1. Вінницька
  2. Луганська
  3. Миколаївська
  4. Одеська
  5. Сумська
  6. Харківська
  7. Чернігівська
  8. Херсонська

Yes,  UNIAN gives the info without Donetsks and Zaporizhia. TSN and some others, including the Embassy of Ukraine in USA - still with those 2 areas.  

but, anyway,  with or without - it doesn't really make a big difference . 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.