JMCKNG

November 2018 AOS Filers

3,118 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
22 minutes ago, RambaCat said:

You'll need to select yes for that question; married couples can only file jointly if they are considered residents for the full year. Then you should be able to find the 2555-EZ and schedule 1 of 1040 (it's an addition to the 1040 return)

Yeah, you're right. I think the issue is the electronic filing version of Turbotax doesn't have that capability. I think I just need to download Turbotax and manually complete the forms. Which isn't that big of a deal, it's just that the electronic filing is soooooo much more convenient. 😅 Thanks!

56 minutes ago, kanderson101 said:

Yeah, you're right. I think the issue is the electronic filing version of Turbotax doesn't have that capability. I think I just need to download Turbotax and manually complete the forms. Which isn't that big of a deal, it's just that the electronic filing is soooooo much more convenient. 😅 Thanks!

You cant electronic file if you are filing MFJ for this first year. You CAN complete the tax return online but then you would have to print it and mail it in. The reason for that is the immigrant would need to elect to be treated as a Resident Alien for the entire tax year to file MFJ. To do that they would write up an election letter declaring so. That letter must be included in your tax filing, thus you cannot file taxes electronically this first year as there is nowhere to submit the RA Election letter. Paper file only.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

4 hours ago, RambaCat said:

Oh I don't regret the K1; we had a beautiful wedding, and we are together a little quicker but...it doesn't do anything for my mental health being stuck at home (and often indoors) all day every day. I like to be able to travel, even if it's just driving to the local park or beach, but I can't even do that at the moment and it's demoralizing :(

I feel you. I want my combo card/green card so bad, just for the SSN so I can get my driver's license! I don't need to work and I'm not sure I would start working right away to be honest, I just want to be able to drive dammit!! 😬

While my husband was deployed I basically spent months inside the house 😪

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
14 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You cant electronic file if you are filing MFJ for this first year. You CAN complete the tax return online but then you would have to print it and mail it in. The reason for that is the immigrant would need to elect to be treated as a Resident Alien for the entire tax year to file MFJ. To do that they would write up an election letter declaring so. That letter must be included in your tax filing, thus you cannot file taxes electronically this first year as there is nowhere to submit the RA Election letter. Paper file only.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Thanks very much! I'm consistently amazed at how much cumulative knowledge this community has at its fingertips. I'm surprised VJ doesn't charge a fee for membership 😅

1 hour ago, kanderson101 said:

Thanks very much! I'm consistently amazed at how much cumulative knowledge this community has at its fingertips. I'm surprised VJ doesn't charge a fee for membership 😅

Omg I'd cry; maybe if they did it on a "once you're earning" basis!

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

05/16/19 - Green Card Issue Date

03/10/21 - Sent ROC paperwork to Phoenix, AZ | USPS 2-Day Shipping

04/07/21 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

On 3/13/2019 at 2:37 PM, WalWal said:
EAD RD: Nov 9th, 2018 National Benefits Center 
I got approved today! My case status changed from "Case was received" to "New Card Is Being Produced" 5 minutes ago. Hang in there November filers. It's happening!

Congratulations! 😀 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
On 3/12/2019 at 3:48 PM, Allaboutwaiting said:

What I've noticed for November is a huge amount of people stuck in "Fingerprint fee received", while, from what I've read on the forums, December and January filers, get their status updated right after biometrics. 

Our case hasn't been updated since November 28th. I used to check informed delivery daily and get excited about any notifications, but all the ones I get, come from Candy Crush. 😅

The fantasy I had of us getting an early interview, seems now unattainable. I feel being awarded a Nobel prize is way easier. 😂

I finished all the AOS paperwork in October, so my wife has her EAD now. However, we had an RFE (USCIS lost the tax tranccipts)  for the I-485 so once they received the RFE response, that pushed our notice of action date for the I-485 to November 28th.

At the moment, our case status is still stuck on "fingerprint review was completed"  so I'm hoping we can get an interview in another month or so since there are several October filers who already have scheduled dates. 

2 hours ago, Rocko20 said:

I finished all the AOS paperwork in October, so my wife has her EAD now. However, we had an RFE (USCIS lost the tax tranccipts)  for the I-485 so once they received the RFE response, that pushed our notice of action date for the I-485 to November 28th.

At the moment, our case status is still stuck on "fingerprint review was completed"  so I'm hoping we can get an interview in another month or so since there are several October filers who already have scheduled dates. 

Just making sure that you understand your timeline for the GC has nothing to do with other October filers receiving their interviews scheduled. It's dependent on the timeline of your local field office processing times.

Another week, and hopefully another round of approvals ❤️ My timeline for EAD has gone down by a whole 10 days since we started!!

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

05/16/19 - Green Card Issue Date

03/10/21 - Sent ROC paperwork to Phoenix, AZ | USPS 2-Day Shipping

04/07/21 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.