AngelaHallim

Applying for K-1. Can he get a visa if he has a child? The child is 15 years old.

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Monaco
Timeline

OK so we are 42 and 43 years old. My son is 21. His daughter is 15. He lives in Morocco. I guess I just need to see what the requirements are to even get a K-1 visa. I have read so many stories in here and it seems as though there are horror stories and many reasons why people are denied. We have known each other since 2007 and I have visited 3 times. I have visa Stamps,  correspondence, and many many photos back to 2007. Can someone give me advice or give me a list of requirements for the K-1 visa. Thank you In advance.

The main requirement is that you intend to get married when he arrives to the US. There are other criteria for admissibility (no risk of becoming public charge, criminal history, health, etc). The rest depends on the circumstances of your case, which include this particular country. From what I gather, facts like large age difference (not your issue) or cultural inconsistencies (religion, having children from another marriage, etc) may affect the outcome of the case. But, as far as I understand, these are not requirements. 

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

One requirement is that you have met in person in the last two years.  I see you've been in a relationship since '07, and have met three times, but has one visit been within the last two years?

On the face of things, it sounds like you have a good amount of evidence to demonstrate a legitimate relationship.  Just be sure to have everything documented to show an ongoing relationship (emails, chat history, etc).

If memory serves me, I do believe his son will also need a visa as well.  The particular requirements, I don't know.  I'm sure others can speak to that issue authoritatively.

3 minutes ago, Chris & Pam said:

One requirement is that you have met in person in the last two years.  I see you've been in a relationship since '07, and have met three times, but has one visit been within the last two years?

On the face of things, it sounds like you have a good amount of evidence to demonstrate a legitimate relationship.  Just be sure to have everything documented to show an ongoing relationship (emails, chat history, etc).

If memory serves me, I do believe his son will also need a visa as well.  The particular requirements, I don't know.  I'm sure others can speak to that issue authoritatively.

From the DOS website:

Does My U.S. Citizen Fiancé(e) Need to File Separate Petitions for My Children?

No. Your eligible children may apply for K-2 visas based on the approval of Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) filed on your behalf, but your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) must list the children on the petition. Separate visa applications must be submitted for each K-2 visa applicant, and each applicant must pay the K visa application fee.

After your marriage, your children will need to file separately from you for adjustment of status. They cannot be included on your application for adjustment of status. More information about adjustment of status is available on USCIS’s website under Green Card (Permanent Residence).

Important Notice: Under U.S. immigration law, a child must be unmarried. In order to file for adjustment of status for your child following your marriage to your U.S. citizen spouse, the child’s stepchild relationship with your spouse must be created before the child reaches the age of 18.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is he wanting to bring the child to the US? If so he needs to show he has permission from the child mother. 

You would file k1 for him and k1 for the child. 

I agree with the others too...when did you last see each other in person? Is there any reason why, in 11 years, you didnt get married? 

Edited by EandH0904

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The basic requirements for the K1 visa is that you are both free to marry and have met in person at least one within the past 2 years.

The fact that you have only met 3 times over the past 11 years may make things difficult to get an approval during the interview in Casablanca. What are the dates of your visits? How long were they?

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Has he got divorced yet? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lots of Face Tome, are you there now?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

age not being a factor here,   the daughter is the important thing

do you intent to bring her?  if so, summit that paperwork from mother giving the permission with your application

and you must agree to raise her in the Islam religion

I would suggest a new visit / a long viist/  and marriage in Morocco

the embassy now asks the  question "why did u not marry in Morroco?"

as it is so important to the Moroccan family to attend

You do not have to convert to Islam if you are not one to marry there

but u do need to make sure they understand this young girl will follow muslim traditions

she may find, once here, she has a choice but for interview there,  no choice

message me if you would like to know proceedure to marry in Morocco

things to know before marriage

TB is prevalent there so have him get a chest xray /  this is not normally required for the physical exam before marriage

let your head do the thinking/ not your heart / there really are too many "green card" hunters there

at this time there are thousands of young people trying to pass into Malilla, a spanish providence on the border of northern Morocco

there are few jobs in Morocco and most want out

That sounds so harsh but i have seen too many on here that post "i am going thru a divorce"

Be very sure of this relationship and hopefully u will be one of the happy ones with an honest Moroccan husband

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/world/europe/spain-migrants-morocco.html

Edited by adil-rafa

Timeline

list for K1 visa at top of homepage under guide or on USCIS homepage

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/visas-fiancees-us-citizens

not hard to do the necessary paperwork

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Monaco
Timeline
6 hours ago, Chris & Pam said:

Hi there. Thanks for the info. No that is the basis and reason for my question. He will not bring his daughter with him until she turns 18 then he would like to have her come. So that was my question can you leave on a K-1 visa if you still have a child below 18? I mean it seems like they deny for so many reasons I thought this could be a BIG reason for them to say no. If he left without the child. They might think he is trying to escape his responsability which is not the truth, But curious if someone is allowed to visa when they have a child

Timeline
8 minutes ago, AngelaHallim said:

Hi there. Thanks for the info. No that is the basis and reason for my question. He will not bring his daughter with him until she turns 18 then he would like to have her come. So that was my question can you leave on a K-1 visa if you still have a child below 18? I mean it seems like they deny for so many reasons I thought this could be a BIG reason for them to say no. If he left without the child. They might think he is trying to escape his responsability which is not the truth, But curious if someone is allowed to visa when they have a child

He would have to be a citzen to apply for her

she would have to remain unmarried

(look into the rules for this on aging out)

best to bring her now if possible

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The child can come over on a K-2 visa as long as they are under 21 and unmarried. Once they turn 21 or if she were to marry before coming to the US and receiving the green card, she would not be eligible for the K-2. If he does intend to bring her over, she needs to be named as his child on the I-129F petition. 

I don't really think that him coming to the US without the child initially would be a huge determining factor. People do leave children behind to move to the US to be with a new partner. Your biggest difficultly likely will still be proving a genuine relationship, especially since you have known him for a long time, with few visits within that time frame. Also, like someone stated above, you both need to be free to marry and legally divorced from previous partners before starting the visa process.  

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
9 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

The child can come over on a K-2 visa as long as they are under 21 and unmarried. Once they turn 21 or if she were to marry before coming to the US and receiving the green card, she would not be eligible for the K-2. If he does intend to bring her over, she needs to be named as his child on the I-129F petition. 

Time is limited for a child to get a derivative ( K2)  visa - it's a year  from the date of  K-1 visa issuance.

But yes, to be eligible for K2 visa a child must be under 21 and unmarried. And has to enter the US BEFORE turns 21.

Children have to be listed in I-129F regardless if they are following a parent or not.

Timeline
3 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

I don't really think that him coming to the US without the child initially would be a huge determining factor. People do leave children behind to move to the US to be with a new partner. Your biggest difficultly likely will still be proving a genuine relationship, especially since you have known him for a long time, with few visits within that time frame. Also, like someone stated above, you both need to be free to marry and legally divorced from previous partners before starting the visa process.  

need to put all children on application from both parties (even if not applying for the Moroccan to come)

they must be listed

I, the USC, had to list mine even though one was already out of the house and in the Marines

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.