jackyjimenez

OCTOBER AOS 2018 Filers

2,281 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, akoko-01 said:

thanks. so we r gonna go to H&R Block but I would like you to confirm these steps just so we will be ready when we go there:

we will file regular taxes but this time we need to add my husband's annual income. then later we r gonna deduct it in later spaces on the form. then we r gonna attach a statement which I don't know what it is but read about it on the internet.

then if we have bank account, we need to file FBAR. is that it?

If you are filing jointly, you will be filing form 2555, if your husband’s annual foreign income was lower than the amount (somewhere above $100000 I don’t remember exactly) then you can exclude it. If you file jointly then the foreigner will count as resident (and to file 2555 you need to past through tax home test and residency test- just check irs)

it can get complicated if you don’t know what you’re doing so H&R Block May be a good idea for the first year.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 1/25/2019 at 12:05 AM, Rocko20 said:

Sorry if already asked, how did you guys file your taxes if the foreign spouse doesn't have a SSN yet? I filed mine (married filed jointly) with my spouse's SSN (from her cultural visa which came with a SSN which allowed her to work) but it was rejected by the IRS.

I assume we have to file a W-7 (for an ITIN) with the tax return?

We did file jointly last year and put "applied for" for the ITIN and the w-7

Timeline

We should be coming up with an interview time---according to our field office timeline. My only worry is that I am going out of the country for 6 days right at the time my field office averages its interviews. What is the average time frame from getting the interview letter to the actual date? What if I am  on my trip during this time (hubby is staying home) If we reschedule this , does it bump us way down the line? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
14 hours ago, redcat56 said:

We should be coming up with an interview time---according to our field office timeline. My only worry is that I am going out of the country for 6 days right at the time my field office averages its interviews. What is the average time frame from getting the interview letter to the actual date? What if I am  on my trip during this time (hubby is staying home) If we reschedule this , does it bump us way down the line? 

You can reschedule. I think worrying that the interview will fall in that 6 day probably 4 working day vacation is just being overly nervous though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Good afternoon- I have a question for anyone who may know the answer. Although we are waiting for advanced parole to leave the country, can my husband still board a plane to go to a domestic destination? And what about the US Virgin Islands? Would we be able to fly there? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
3 hours ago, lauretta2007 said:

Good afternoon- I have a question for anyone who may know the answer. Although we are waiting for advanced parole to leave the country, can my husband still board a plane to go to a domestic destination? And what about the US Virgin Islands? Would we be able to fly there? 

You don't have to pass from passport control in domestic flights. you will show your passport as an id in domestic flights. 

You suppose to fly to US Virgin Islands.

Edited by metehn

Timeline
On 2/5/2019 at 2:44 PM, lauretta2007 said:

We have flown several times this year and it was no problem at all flying domestic with passport. I had all our documents (letters and copies ) just in case--but it was very simple. 

Timeline

I don't know how important this is to anyone, but since we have been talking a lot about taxes I'll post it. My wife got her SSN last week and I tried to file married filing joint on Monday but it was declined because my spouses info did not match the e-file database. After some research I realized I had to wait a while. Re-filed today and it was accepted. My understanding is as long as you were married by December 31st you are eligible to file married filing joint just as a regular citizen would and it was extremely advantageous to me as she had 0 income. Hope this helps someone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

I don't know how important this is to anyone, but since we have been talking a lot about taxes I'll post it. My wife got her SSN last week and I tried to file married filing joint on Monday but it was declined because my spouses info did not match the e-file database. After some research I realized I had to wait a while. Re-filed today and it was accepted. My understanding is as long as you were married by December 31st you are eligible to file married filing joint just as a regular citizen would and it was extremely advantageous to me as she had 0 income. Hope this helps someone.

Yes this is what i know too but i’ve been reading from some peoples post saying that spouses should have been here in the U.S for 6 mos before they can be included. This confused me a little bit. Any idea?

Anyhow, we have not finalized our tax filing yet since we are still waiting for my sons SSN (also looking into filing an ITIN in case it wont arrive next mo together w his combo)

10/10/17 : Application Sent

10/16/17 : NOA1

04/09/18 : RFE (Just needed to check No on Criminal History which we already did when we filed)

04/13/18 : RFE HARDCOPY RECEIVED

04/16/18 : RFE REPLY SENT TO CA

04/18/18 : RFE RECEIVED by USCIS

04/27/18 : NOA2  (Completely Silent NOA)

05/14/18 : NVC CASE RECEIVED

05/15/18 : NVC CASE NUMBER

05/18/18 : IN TRANSIT / EMAIL received

05/20/18 : CASE READY

06/4-5/18 : MEDICAL

06/07/18 : INTERVIEW - Approved

06/11/18 : Administrative Processing 

06/13/18 : Issued K1

06/18/18 : Issued K2 (AP 6/14)

06/21/18 : VOH

06/28/18 : CFO

07/12/18 : FLIGHT/POE

WEDDING ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

AOS

10/01/18 : Application Sent (I-1485, I-765, I-131)

10/**/18 : NOA1

10/**/18 : Biometrics Schedule

10/**/18 : Interview Schedule

10/**/18 : Approval

Timeline
8 minutes ago, BnK said:

Yes this is what i know too but i’ve been reading from some peoples post saying that spouses should have been here in the U.S for 6 mos before they can be included. This confused me a little bit. Any idea?

Anyhow, we have not finalized our tax filing yet since we are still waiting for my sons SSN (also looking into filing an ITIN in case it wont arrive next mo together w his combo)

I did a lot of looking around and came down to this. As long as you are married as on December 31st they do not even have to be in the US. It also says right at the beginning that it covers situations in which they were a non resident part of the year and a resident the other part. It doesn't directly apply to the K-1 situation but it made it pretty clear I wasn't doing it wrong by claiming the exemption for her. Filing status is always about your situation on December 31st is my understanding. I am not an accountant.(I feel I should mention that)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Edited by ThomasNC1988

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

I did a lot of looking around and came down to this. As long as you are married as on December 31st they do not even have to be in the US. It also says right at the beginning that it covers situations in which they were a non resident part of the year and a resident the other part. It doesn't directly apply to the K-1 situation but it made it pretty clear I wasn't doing it wrong by claiming the exemption for her. Filing status is always about your situation on December 31st is my understanding. I am not an accountant.(I feel I should mention that)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Yes that’s what I am believing too and will be doing with our taxes as soon as everything is ready...

im trying to understand how they calculate things here,  havent really fully understood their system yet ( I am not an accountant too ;) ) Unlike in my country where its easy to compute for your taxes even if our company files it for us

10/10/17 : Application Sent

10/16/17 : NOA1

04/09/18 : RFE (Just needed to check No on Criminal History which we already did when we filed)

04/13/18 : RFE HARDCOPY RECEIVED

04/16/18 : RFE REPLY SENT TO CA

04/18/18 : RFE RECEIVED by USCIS

04/27/18 : NOA2  (Completely Silent NOA)

05/14/18 : NVC CASE RECEIVED

05/15/18 : NVC CASE NUMBER

05/18/18 : IN TRANSIT / EMAIL received

05/20/18 : CASE READY

06/4-5/18 : MEDICAL

06/07/18 : INTERVIEW - Approved

06/11/18 : Administrative Processing 

06/13/18 : Issued K1

06/18/18 : Issued K2 (AP 6/14)

06/21/18 : VOH

06/28/18 : CFO

07/12/18 : FLIGHT/POE

WEDDING ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

AOS

10/01/18 : Application Sent (I-1485, I-765, I-131)

10/**/18 : NOA1

10/**/18 : Biometrics Schedule

10/**/18 : Interview Schedule

10/**/18 : Approval

Timeline
8 minutes ago, BnK said:

Yes that’s what I am believing too and will be doing with our taxes as soon as everything is ready...

im trying to understand how they calculate things here,  havent really fully understood their system yet ( I am not an accountant too ;) ) Unlike in my country where its easy to compute for your taxes even if our company files it for us

I have used Credit Karma Tax the past 2 years. It is by far the easiest and cheapest(free) that I have seen if you do not have a complicated return.

Edited by ThomasNC1988

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.