3 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I am just about ready to send my K-1 Visa petition; After spending all this time getting everything prepared and planning to get it out before today's last mail pick up for the week at 5 PM (I live in a small town :) ), something has been really nagging at me up until this last minute to not do this, but to file a CR-1 instead, and here's why:

Even tho I was in Manila just a few weeks ago, I AM fortunately able to travel again almost anytime (this is also one of the times of year up until the Christmas season, where airfares are at their lowest),  and my question is how long I should plan to be there to complete the entire marriage process from beginning to end? We would have a very simple civil wedding with her family and friends in attendance- Can I do this within about a 10 day or 2 week period?

I have, as mentioned in previous posts, had 2 K-1 visas approved in the past, 2009 and 2014, and I have already completed my Multiple Filer Waiver Request Letter that I would need to send with the K-1 petition. I also have a minor criminal record (all more than 20 years ago now and all could even be simply borderline "infractions" but they were recorded as misdemeanors) however these are NONE that are considered the "Specified Crimes" list on the I-129F application.

This form was revised last year and the previous forms did NOT ask about these minor crimes like they do now so now I must reveal them which is no problem. But when I contacted each court (there are a few different counties) and am told by each one that because the cases are so old there is a longer process in which they need time to search for these records. So instead of doing this, I simply typed a detailed account and explanation of each incident, including each disposition, to send in but I am afraid I may still get and RFE (or even NOID) because i did not submit the actual records and this may create possible delays.

I see nowhere on the I-130 or I-130a forms or instructions any mention or request for info on these minor crimes and the I-130 form is the same filing fee of $535 as the I-129F. I see also that the processing times are getting closer to each other (CR-1 is still longer).

Any feedback is welcome (the post office is only a few blocks away)!  :)

Edited by Robert D

~~moved to what Visa do I need from IR1/CR1 progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.