NovaDC

Baby born in US with a B2 Visa Holder Mom

67 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

I don't get it. The US is literally the MOST EXPENSIVE place in the world to give birth. There are so many other better options in other countries with affordable prices and the same, if not better, care. Why would someone choose to come to the US to give birth from another country? 

https://www.globalimmigrationblog.com/2018/03/u-s-cracks-down-on-birth-tourism-industry/#page=1

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
56 minutes ago, NovaDC said:

And she is planning to rent a townhouse to stay in Fairfax, Northern Virginia. 

Generally people coming to the US for birth tourism/vacation tourism (and honestly planning on returning to the home country after giving birth) do not rent property or set up leasing in the US.  Normally they stay with friends.

CBP may question her intentions after giving birth as well as it would appear to them she is then taking steps to set up residence.

I assume your friend will be properly informing CPB when they ask "purpose of travel" that she is traveling for the sole purpose of giving birth in the US?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Other Timeline

OP,

I am older than dirt so have a far greater body of knowledge to draw from.  I am sorry I cannot convince you that you are at risk.  I expect that after she returns home, you will realize that she is no longer your "family" and leaves you stuck with a boatload of bills.

Please do not participate in this!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Roel said:

1 minute ago, CEE53147 said:

OP,

I am older than dirt so have a far greater body of knowledge to draw from.  I am sorry I cannot convince you that you are at risk.  I expect that after she returns home, you will realize that she is no longer your "family" and leaves you stuck with a boatload of bills.

Please do not participate in this!

Thank you so much for the concern. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

I don't get it. The US is literally the MOST EXPENSIVE place in the world to give birth. There are so many other better options in other countries with affordable prices and the same, if not better, care. Why would someone choose to come to the US to give birth from another country? 

Some people believe that having a US born child automatically grants the parent(s) a right to citizenship.

Most of those people don't realize that they have to wait 21 years for the child to even petition them, though.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Please update this thread if your friend will success in entering the US. Please make sure to write also if she admitted at the POE that she wants to give birth in the US and also rent an apartment.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Roel said:

Please update this thread if your friend will success in entering the US. Please make sure to write also if she admitted at the POE that she wants to give birth in the US and also rent an apartment.

I will. She plans to get here first week of October.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VRBO or AirBnB may be more suitable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I live in Fairfax County, Virginia. It is not cheap. Not to mention the cost of birth is expensive too. 

Sorry, but this kind of thing grinds my gears a bit since most of the time tax payers do end up paying ultimately, but people will do what people want to do. 

Anyway, if the friend wants to come here to give birth and has the means to, she can, but as other members stated, she needs to provide proof of ties to her home country, have enough $$ to show, and it's 21 years before parent has any kind of eligibility for US status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Problems with timing. Three months until she give birth then she has to wait for the birth certificate then she has to apply for a passport for the baby and receive it. Even if she get the full 6 months when she enters the timing will be really tight. 

Problems with you signing/co-signing for anything for her. You are the one on the hook. No matter how good a friend or family member they are I never trust anyone with more money than I can afford to lose. Have her pay you in advance (before signing the lease) for the 6 months rent. Even the best of friends seem to "forget" to repay their debts, especially when they are in another country. 

Hope everything goes well for her and the baby as a normal birth can cost more than $5,000 and if complications arise we are talking a lot, lot more. Also remind her the US has the highest health care costs and one of the highest infant/mother mortality rates of developed countries. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

As a note, she needs evidence of her upcoming medical plans and costs, not past ones. Having paid for small bills in the past doesn't mean anything for a potentially very large bill in the future. This won't involve just her regular physician.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but....anybody else find it odd that a tourist is coming to the US to see a US doctor regularly (with no indication of an unusual, chronic illness)? Even if you have all the money you can imagine, it seems very odd to to do so as a tourist. Definitely more to the story here...

Both of her parents were diagnosed and died because of cancer. She has her blood tests here and procedures to hopefully lower the chances of having cancer as well.

1 minute ago, NovaDC said:

Both of her parents were diagnosed and died because of cancer. She has her blood tests here and procedures to hopefully lower the chances of having cancer as well.

I'm very sorry to hear of her losses, and her situation.  Her visits to an oncologist (I'm assuming that's who she is seeing) will have no bearing on her proof of leaving after her baby is born.  Additionally, that medical history may put her into a high risk category for pregnancy, further complicating that she will be able to receive prenatal care while she's here as now she'd not only need an OB/GYN but possibly MFM (maternal fetal medicine) and they're even MORE expensive.

Spoiler

Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

03/08/19: Text and online notification that interview has been scheduled.

04/16/19: Interview.  AOS approval text rec'd.  Card in production!

04/24/19: GC in hand! 

Removal of Conditions

Here we go!

02/10/21: I-751 package sent

02/12/21: Delivered to Phoenix, AZ

03/22/21: Money order cashed

03/24/21: Text notification rec'd

03/25/21: NOA rec'd

04/30/21: Case updated: Fingerprints taken

06/27/22: Approved!  Card being produced!

07/05/22: 10-year GC in hand!

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

10 minutes ago, NovaDC said:

I'm sorry for her losses.

But can't they do the blood tests + CAT/MRI/PET scans in PH? Maybe the readings of the scan results might be better suited for a cancer center in the US, though...but they utilize a PACS system so the scans can be sent anywhere (either via CD or electronically).

As for risk factors, that's typically a one-and-done deal. There's only so much one can do to reduce the risk of developing cancer...the rest is early detection, which is what thew tests and scans come into play for. And those are read by a radiologist...an oncologist can explain them, but there's nothing to explain if there's nothing there yet.

I'm not one to question somebody's medical decisions. But this is an area I am quite familiar with and it still seems quite unusual for the need to have the care in the US for somebody who is not currently ill.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.