1,373 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
5 hours ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

Anyone here from California that was able to apply for state id/driver lic and change ssn name with just ssn and aos noa1 ? m just curious - biometrics is scheduled tomorrow might as well drop by dmv 

I don't think it is possible in California unfortunately because of its proof of identity documents.

The last one would work with Valid/unexpired foreign passport with an approved record of arrival/departure (I-94) however, when they give you under k1, as it expires in 90 days of entry (expiration of I-94) the license also expires. So I am not trying till I get my ead. California accepts driver's license from other countries to be used, I believe up to 6 months of entry. 

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/0818af9b-f2a8-4cec-9001-10dd2a9f56d3/Commercial_dl_DocsList.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Edited by Naes

Timeline
4 hours ago, CaptainAmerica said:

Hello to everyone on this thread! I've just spent ages catching up on everyone's posts until I decided to chime in... I've been here since mid-May, married June 1st and had my NOA1 on 20th July. It's amazing to me that some people have already had interviews! Congratulations to those people. I'm in the Los Angeles area, so I'm not holding my breath to get my interview anytime soon. I had my biometrics done in August and my case status changed to 'ready to be scheduled' since August 17th but no change since then. I'd resigned myself that I wouldn't get my EAD or AP until at least late November or early December, but if those are coming sooner that would be a blessing. I would love to be able to go home for Christmas, but I'm not planning anything until I have the AP in hand! 

I've seen a few people mention getting their driving licences, and it's odd how much it differs from state to state. California is the same pain as that once your I-94 expires, you're back in limboland in the DMV's eyes... I even called California Highway Patrol to ask their thoughts on driving on a UK licence, but they advised I can't. You're a California resident in their eyes, and so you must have a California licence (though the man I spoke to was so friendly and recognised the absurd situation). Thankfully there is the AB60 option. I have that licence, and I'll explain how I got it! 

I initially had quite a fiasco with the DMV (after spending four hours waiting/being seen on my first visit) but I was able to apply for a temporary licence within my i-94 window. I had my written test during my first visit and passed, and was very lucky in being able to find a practical test slot two weeks later. I'd already been driving my husband's car during my previous visits to him (on my UK licence) but wanted to make sure I was able to drive to the California test standard, so I took a few lessons with an instructor so that I'd feel more confident and also know how to pass the test. Thankfully I managed to pass first time! BUT, after passing my test I really only had two weeks of a licence before that would expire. This is when I put in three separate calls to the main DMV call centre, and they helped me clear up what I could do. Each person I spoke to was well aware of this limbo issue for certain visas, and were helpful in how I could resolve the problem. 

California DMV won't accept any other form of verification that you are legally within the US until your EAD is ready, in order to get a regular licence (or the new RealID). They do however provide the AB60 licence, which functions similarly to a regular driving licence with limitations ie you can't use it to fly (which is no problem if you have a passport), or for work authorisation. If you can provide the DMV with your passport, SSN, and proof of residence, you should be able to get an AB60 with no problem. I'd read that there is a secondary review which can take a long time, but twice upon talking to the DMV over the phone, they told me that I had enough documentation to successfully get the AB60 - but I had to go to a specific driving licence processing centre to get that ie not every local office can process it. Fortunately there was one processing centre only a short drive from me, so I went there to prepare to wait hours again. Thankfully I was done in 90 minutes! I'd brought my passport, current temporary licence (that had just expired), SSN card with the slip including my address, bank statements, and even my marriage and birth certificate in case they needed those. All that I needed to show them again was my passport, SSN card and bank statements for proof of residency. And that was it. I received my California licence in the mail just over a week later, and it's been a blessing to have it. My husband and I are looking to buy a new car, and just having that licence with me has been such a help. Once I receive my EAD, I just need to go back to the DMV again to swap the licence for a RealID. 

I hope this information helps anyone else in a similar situation, although it might be that you can now hold out for the EAD if these really might be with us by next month! 

6 hours ago, dynesyzygy24 said:

Anyone here from California that was able to apply for state id/driver lic and change ssn name with just ssn and aos noa1 ? m just curious - biometrics is scheduled tomorrow might as well drop by dmv 

I’ve just read the above post in July filers, it has info on California drivers license (ab60) if you want to check.

4 hours ago, Naes said:

Biometrics done! It was less than a 10 minute experience with awesome people! 

Good deal.

It took us about half an hour

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Timeline
1 hour ago, dpcalbears said:

Hello!

Quick question. For applying for Advance Parole (I-131) along with AOS is a letter explaining the reason for travel required?

Nope

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Montenegro
Timeline

Hi everyione ,

I sent I 485 form and affidavit for aos pakage. I dont know how but ,we were thinking employement autorization and travel documents we should send like separate forms.So we didnt send it .I understood now people send that all together.  Is anything we can do now for that? 

Thanks !!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
20 minutes ago, paracelsus said:

Hi everyione ,

I sent I 485 form and affidavit for aos pakage. I dont know how but ,we were thinking employement autorization and travel documents we should send like separate forms.So we didnt send it .I understood now people send that all together.  Is anything we can do now for that? 

Thanks !!

Wait until you get your hard copy NOA receipt notice for your I-485 in the mail. Make a copy of it and send with your EAD and Advanced Parole forms. Maybe also include a cover letter explaining you have sent I-485 and to see attach receipt notice.  

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
On 10/2/2018 at 12:23 AM, Naes said:

I’ve just read the above post in July filers, it has info on California drivers license (ab60) if you want to check.

Thank you @Naes this is so useful

Just did the boemetrics yesterday it was so quick and everyone was so nice then we decided to go to SS office afterwards to change my lastname and the guy was nice however I still have to wait for the EAD with that being said my husband and I decided not to go to DMV 

it was still a productive day we were able to watch the lakers game at staples center yeyyy!! 😁

Applied for AOS/EAD/AP : August 7, 2018 (via USPS)

USCIS Chicago received the package: August 9, 2018

NOA1:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My name is Guillaume, I moved to south Texas on a K-1 visa on August 2nd and got married august 24th.

Filled my I-485 , I-765 and I-131 altogether and got the I-797C on September 11 and got my biometrics today.

requested an expedite advance parole on September 12th because of a family loss, they answered by e-mail on September 17th requesting me to fax evidence, which I did and now I'm waiting. I guess and I hope it's gonna move on now I did the biometrics.

I guess my field office will be in Harlingen Texas since it's the closest one.

Now the long wait begins!

K-1 Visa

05-16-2018: Interview (Approved)

05-23-2018: Visa Issued

08-02-2018: P.O.E Austin

08-24-2018: Married :)

AOS/EAD/AP:

09-05-2018: Package sent.                                                                 10-29-2018: New application sent.

09-11-2018: AOS/EAD/AP NOA-1                                                      11-05-2018: Reception text messages

09-12-2018: Request expedite AP                                                     11-06-2018: Fees cashed

09-12-2018: Expedite AP USCIS answer (request evidence).       11-07-2018: Expedite AP requested

09-13-2018: Evidence Fax sent                                                          11-08-2018: Expedite AP denied

09-14-2018: Notice for biometrics                                                    11-09-2018: NOA1 Hard copies

10-03-2018: Biometrics appointment                                               11-28-2018: Biometrics

10-20-2018: Rejected! (Check bounced) 😢                                   02-07-2019: Interview Notice

03-07-2019: Interview

03-07-2019: Card is being produced 🤗🤗🤗

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Biometrics done. Took 15 minutes, could of been shorter we just had to show our marriage license to confirm that her last name was legally changed.

Removing Conditions 

I-751 Sent:    04-Nov-2020

i-751 Received: 10-Nov-2020

Fee charged: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1 Received: 17-Dec-2020

24 mo. Extension: 15-Nov-2021

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all, US-based AOS filer (not a K1) but just joined VJ and wanted to say that I'm with you in spirit as a fellow Sept/2018 applicant. As of yesterday, got the e-notice for "Case is ready to be scheduled". Now the very, very long waiting game begins...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/u-s-citizens-applying-green-cards-noncitizen-spouses-see-growing-n912946

2018/08/28 - mailed combo 130/485/131/765 with evidence, omitted 693, used personal checks and USPS priority mail

2018/09/07 - e-notice for received apps (some went to spam), checks cashed

2018/09/13 - hard copies of receipts for above

2018/09/14 - e-notice for biometrics notice

2018/09/22 - bio appt hard copies arrived, with 10/08 date

2018/09/25 - courtesy letter for missing I-693

2018/09/26 - biometrics completed early as walk-in

2018/10/03 - e-notice for "case is ready to be scheduled"

2019/01/31 - e-notice for "new card ordered for production" (EAD)
2019/02/05 - hard copies of notices of approval for EAD and AP

2019/10/07 - mailed renewal apps for EAD and AP (~120d before combo card expiration)

2019/12/03 - got 693 medical exam in sealed envelope

2019/12/11 - e-notification "interview was scheduled"

2019/12/17 - interview notice delivered, 2020/1/15

2020/1/15 - interview in SF, card in production

2020/1/24 - Conditional (2year) green card received in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone! Have a question.. I received the NOAs with the receipt numbers of the cases (date sept 25th) and went to the USCIS website to check the status just out of curiosity of course cuz know not more than “my case was received” will be there. But it end up that just one of the numbers is working, for the I-131, the other two it says they don’t recognize the receipt number.. it happened to anyone else? It will update later? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
2 minutes ago, CindyS said:

Hey everyone! Have a question.. I received the NOAs with the receipt numbers of the cases (date sept 25th) and went to the USCIS website to check the status just out of curiosity of course cuz know not more than “my case was received” will be there. But it end up that just one of the numbers is working, for the I-131, the other two it says they don’t recognize the receipt number.. it happened to anyone else? It will update later? 

Same thing happened to me with my EAD receipt number while my I-485 and I-131 receipt numbers work fine. I was hoping it would resolve itself thinking they might be having technical issues but it's been over a week now and still comes up as an error... Grrr

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello everyone i did my biometrics on the 1st of Oct and now i got the "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview" message. So does that mean no potential RFEs?

Edited by Miroslav91

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.