Angela Lyman

Help! N400 Denied

48 posts in this topic

So sorry Angela. It sounds like you did everything 100% correct as far as covering your bases when sending it. Best wishes with getting this resolved. 

For the benefit of others and myself Im curious about how the online situation is with RFE's? (had to look up what that was). Im doing my online app and wondering if this RFE would be requested online as well as snail mail? 

9 minutes ago, Kan777 said:

So sorry Angela. It sounds like you did everything 100% correct as far as covering your bases when sending it. Best wishes with getting this resolved. 

For the benefit of others and myself Im curious about how the online situation is with RFE's? (had to look up what that was). Im doing my online app and wondering if this RFE would be requested online as well as snail mail? 

Well a bit of googling seems to have answered my own question on the matter. From the USCIS website under tips for filling online. 

Respond to requests for evidence 

We will notify you by mail and text message or email, if you need to respond to a request for evidence (RFE).

Log in to your USCIS online account and go to the “Documents” tab to view notices and respond to the RFE.

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/tips-filing-forms-online

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Angela Lyman said:

Thanks for the tip! I just filed to Ombudsman. I got the confirmation# for my filing. Do you know if they really respond? The confirmation says it usually takes 90-120 days. but I feel it's just another typical bureaucracy...  

I hope you get a response very soon, I sympathize with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Angela Lyman said:

Thanks for the tip! I just filed to Ombudsman. I got the confirmation# for my filing. Do you know if they really respond? The confirmation says it usually takes 90-120 days. but I feel it's just another typical bureaucracy...  

I contacted the Ombudsman when I had a problem in 2015. They were very prompt in responding, and my problem was resolved within a few days. 

I also e-mailed SCOPSSCATA@dhs.gov, which oversees all the service centers. They were also responsive (told CSC to get their act together). Since you're dealing with a field office though, and not one of the service centers, I don't know if that would be very helpful. You might want to send them an e-mail anyway saying you're frustrated with the customer service there.

Good luck! 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Angela Lyman said:

They were extremely helpful when we did not receive a travel document that USCIS said they sent and filed for another one.  Resolved within 3 weeks.  But we did file/pay twice - just needed it expedited.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~A few post removed as they were derailing this thread. lets get back to helping the OP.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

3 hours ago, Zaira RH said:

Something similar happened to my brother's paperwork. How did you contact  the congressman office? Did you go or did  it over the phone?

You first need to google who's the congressman in your district. Then go to his/her website and submit the inquiry. Their office staff will contact you... Good luck to your brother too!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

A long with Ombudsman you might have to seek some legal counsel from an immigration attorney. Perhaps they've seen cases such as this before and can also direct you in the right place.

USCIS (or any other agency) losing any of my paperwork is one of my greatest fears

Edited by Rocko20

12 hours ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

My N400 got denied because USCIS said they didn't receive the RFE documents (the RFE letter was hand delivered to me during my interview). However, I DID send it and send it on time. I have FedEx delivery proof. Denial Letter says that I can file an appeal (8/1/2018 deadline). But I really don't want to spend $700 for the appeal because they lost my package!  These are the methods I tried so far:

1. Infopass: visited the local Infopass where I had the interview. The lady at the counter was not friendly, gave me attitude and blamed on me for everything. In the end, she took the package I prepared, including the requested RFE document and the FedEx delivery proof. She said she'll forward to N400 officers but they might not take it because the case is closed.  She gave a receipt to prove I visited Infopass and submitted the evidence. 

2. Congressman: after Infopass, I contacted my district congressman and hope they could ask USCIS to reopen my case. I also gave them my evidence and supporting documents for their reference. The office staff responded quickly. But it seems they need quite some time to check my case first before reaching to USCIS. So I'm not sure how much they could help before the deadline for appeal.

Does anyone have any suggestion????? I think it's really unfair that I might need to spend money on appeal or re-apply just because USCIS lost my package. This system sucks....

I totally sympathize with you. It's a Kafkaesque system. But, perhaps off topic, could you tell us what the RFE was about? It's been my understanding that for N-400, even if you don't respond to RFE, you can still get approved based on whatever evidence they have. So, it must depend on the kind of RFE.    

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

6 hours ago, randomstairs said:

I totally sympathize with you. It's a Kafkaesque system. But, perhaps off topic, could you tell us what the RFE was about? It's been my understanding that for N-400, even if you don't respond to RFE, you can still get approved based on whatever evidence they have. So, it must depend on the kind of RFE.    

I don't know if I  can believe that. My RFE was just a missing N/A from a second form and that question was already answered on the other form and yet, my petition was denied. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
18 hours ago, Angela Lyman said:

They do, it may take time but they do. They are very picky about cases they take on, even a slight error on your side and they will say you failed since you didn't follow process.

But since you followed everything each step of they way, it is very likely ombudsman will intervene and get it resolved.

Look at the annual report they put out: https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/DHS Annual Report 2018.pdf

Page 6 has an example where USCIS lost documentation and ombudsman stepped in to assist.

Like I said, its official public business, no one wants some agency riding them hard for doing something wrong or congressman knocking on behalf of their constituents. It may take time as they cross their T and dot their i so no more errors are present. They will not only resolve this but also track the accountability for internal purposes and how it can be improved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

This is OP. Just a quick update. I submitted the case investigation to Ombudsman yesterday from the tip of this thread. While I was thinking it would take forever for Ombudsman to reply, I received a phone call from USCIS local field office today! What a miracle!!! 

They were very polite and said they received the package that I submitted to Infopass. I just need to bring 2 photos to an officer next Monday and then they will proceed with my case. Although I DID include the 2 photos in the package to Infopass (they were securely taped and placed on the top page), the photos were missing when delivered to their hands. They don't know why it happened. Again, they lost my stuff one more time... but at this point, I don't have much to complain as long as my case will be moved forward. (I have a thought about this missing photo thing. Could it be an excuse so they can verify my identity or something when seeing me in person....?)

I'll update it again next Monday. Fingers crossed!

This is great news.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.