Angela Lyman

Help! N400 Denied

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

This is OP. Just a quick update. I submitted the case investigation to Ombudsman yesterday from the tip of this thread. While I was thinking it would take forever for Ombudsman to reply, I received a phone call from USCIS local field office today! What a miracle!!! 

They were very polite and said they received the package that I submitted to Infopass. I just need to bring 2 photos to an officer next Monday and then they will proceed with my case. Although I DID include the 2 photos in the package to Infopass (they were securely taped and placed on the top page), the photos were missing when delivered to their hands. They don't know why it happened. Again, they lost my stuff one more time... but at this point, I don't have much to complain as long as my case will be moved forward. (I have a thought about this missing photo thing. Could it be an excuse so they can verify my identity or something when seeing me in person....?)

I'll update it again next Monday. Fingers crossed!

Sounds great!  Good to know the Ombudsman actually works.  Good luck!

51 minutes ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

This is OP. Just a quick update. I submitted the case investigation to Ombudsman yesterday from the tip of this thread. While I was thinking it would take forever for Ombudsman to reply, I received a phone call from USCIS local field office today! What a miracle!!! 

They were very polite and said they received the package that I submitted to Infopass. I just need to bring 2 photos to an officer next Monday and then they will proceed with my case. Although I DID include the 2 photos in the package to Infopass (they were securely taped and placed on the top page), the photos were missing when delivered to their hands. They don't know why it happened. Again, they lost my stuff one more time... but at this point, I don't have much to complain as long as my case will be moved forward. (I have a thought about this missing photo thing. Could it be an excuse so they can verify my identity or something when seeing me in person....?)

that sounds good, good luck.

where your local field office is? if you dont mind

56 minutes ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

They do act quick! Per my experience, I felt that they were on my side lol.

Tremendous to hear they already contacted you and gave you the help you needed.

The Ombudsman is definitely meant to be on your side. At the very least, they shouldn't be on USCIS' side and just rubber-stamping their erroneous decisions.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
23 hours ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

Awesome!  Best of luck!

On 7/27/2018 at 2:17 PM, Angela Lyman said:

Hi everyone,

Hi all,

This is OP. An update about the case: I passed and the oath ceremony has been scheduled!

Here just a brief timeline and the recap of my N400 case:

• 4/4 interview. RFE sheet issued during the interview: evidence has to be received by 5/4.
  • 4/6 RFE document arrived the field office, according to FedEx tracking system
  • 7/6   Denial Letter issued because RFE not received
  • 7/11  Denial Letter received by mail 
  • 7/24  Infopass: re-submitted REF package and proof of delivery. Officer at window forwarded my packaged to N400 team but suggested that my case probably won't be reopened. Congressman: contacted congressman office for help after returning from Infopass
  • 7/25: Congressman office called said my problem was I wasn't qualified to apply N400 (I was like ####### when  I heard that...). I insisted nothing wrong about the qualification. Although they didn't really believe what I said, they said they'll see what they can do. At that point, I thought no one could help me. So
  • 7/26  posted for help on VisaJourney!  Contacted Ombudsman according to the suggestion in the thread replies. 
  • 7/27: USCIS filed office called said they received my REF documents and the case was reopened. verbally scheduled to meet an office with 2 passport style photo, which was missing in my re-submission package (however, I did include them)  
  • 7/28: received a call and email from Congressman office saying that they got replied by USCIS about my case reponed.

So to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about how my case was reopened. Although at first, I thought it was Ombudsman, it seemed both Infopass and congressman helped as well.

• 7/30: met with a USCIS officer, submitted 2 photos, had a brief talk to make sure the contact info and name change. Case pass was announced right away. Oath Ceremony Notice was handed 40 minutes later. 

Ever since I posted for help here, my case started moving forward and the problem has been solved. I really wanted to thank VisaJourney and every who gave me suggestions and encouragement in this thread.  It won't happen without you guys! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Edited by Angela Lyman

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
Just now, Angela Lyman said:

Hi all,

This is OP. An update about the case: I passed and the oath ceremony has been scheduled!

• 4/4 interview. RFE sheet issued during the interview: evidence has to be received by 5/4.
  • 7/24  Infopass: re-submitted REF package and proof of delivery. Officer at window forwarded my packaged to N400 team but suggested that my case probably won't be reopened. Congressman: contacted congressman office for help after returning from Infopass
  • 7/25: Congressman office called said my problem was I wasn't qualified to apply N400 (I was like ####### when  I heard that...). I insisted nothing wrong about the qualification. Although they didn't really believe what I said, they said they'll see what they can do. At that point, I thought no one could help me. So
  • 7/26/2018  posted for help on VisaJourney!  Contacted Ombudsman according to the suggestion in the thread replies. 
  • 7/27: USCIS filed office called said they received my REF documents and the case was reopened. verbally scheduled to meet an office with 2 passport style photo, which was missing in my re-submission package (however, I did include them)  
  • 7/28: received a call and email from Congressman office saying that they got replied by USCIS about my case reponed.

So to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about how my case was reopened. Although at first, I thought it was Ombudsman, but it seemed both Infopass and congressman helped as well.

• 7/30: met with a USCIS officer, submitted 2 photos, had a brief talk to make sure the contact info and name change. Case pass was announced right away. Oath Ceremony Notice was handed 40 minutes later. 

Ever since I posted for help here, my case started moving forward and the problem has been solved. I really wanted to thank VisaJourney and every who gave me suggestions and encouragement in this thread.  It won't happen without you guys! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Congrats! I am happy for you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Angela Lyman said:

So to be honest, I'm not 100% sure about how my case was reopened. Although at first, I thought it was Ombudsman, it seemed both Infopass and congressman helped as well.

Oh I can comment a few off the top of my head:

• Congressman called because it looks good on them, you may recommend and vote for them next election time.
  • USCIS FO called cause they dont like Ombudsman poking in their business. Mostly likely Ombudsman reached out to the FO Directorate, directorate asked one of his best agents to get this solved quickly.
  • Since you already asked for congressmen's help, USCIS/Ombudsman decided to get going quickly before it starts becoming a pita.

You did exactly what you could within your possibility, worst the other parties had no reason to deny it. 

When it comes to these kinds of (sadly, often-occurring) USCIS errors, you want to hit them with everything you have asap. Ombudsman, Congressman, Senators, the works. It gets their attention, and helps to get things done, as you found out.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, Angela Lyman said:

Hi all,

• 7/26  posted for help on VisaJourney!  Contacted Ombudsman according to the suggestion in the thread replies. 

Great news. i have been thinking about the Ombudsman too. I had my N400 interview in October 2017 and the officer said a decision cannot be made and that he needed to review my file a bit. Up till now, no RFE or decision. i contacted my Congressman and he hasn't been of much help because they send the same generic response i get when i do a case inquiry  "Our records show that your n-400 application is pending adjudication". The only thing stopping me from actually contacting the Ombudsman is that i am still within their processing timelines stated online which is between 7 months to 16 months.

I will hit that 16 months mark in October even though i had my interview last October and they had 120 days to make a decision or i could take it to court.

Any thoughts or advice?

The law says you can take USCIS to court following 120 days after your naturalisation interview. I see no reason not to do that.

AoS

77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview

Naturalisation

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

17 hours ago, Hypnos said:

The law says you can take USCIS to court following 120 days after your naturalisation interview. I see no reason not to do that.

Taking them to court is an expensive process for one. It also doesn't guarantee they'll make a decision in your favor. i don't have any criminal history or anything. 

20 hours ago, love_my_wife said:

You should contact the Ombudsman right away as the OP for this thread did. The 7 months to 16 months processing times is for processing between filing your application to an interview (Correct me if I am wrong) so you would wait that long to do an inquiry if you have not already got an interview scheduled. But since your interview was already done in October 2017, it is already too long out. You should go to the Ombudsman right away. 

directly from the uscis website  

"This time range is how long it is taking USCIS to process your case from the date we received it. We generally process cases in the order we receive them, and we will update this page each month. The estimated time range displayed is based on data captured approximately two months prior to updating the page. Please note that times may change without prior notice.

We have posted a “Receipt date for a case inquiry" in the table below to show when you can inquire about your case. If your receipt date is before the “Receipt date for a case inquiry", you can submit an “outside normal processing time” service request online."

4 minutes ago, love_my_wife said:

USCIS has 120 days from the date of the initial naturalization interview to issue a decision. If the decision is not issued within 120 days of the interview, an applicant may request judicial review of his or her application in district court. The officer must base his or her decision on the laws, regulations, precedent decisions, and governing policies.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartB-Chapter4.html

That is a costly process. I spoke to an attorney and the total cost was about $8000 which includes the filing fee etc. i am not ready to shell out $8000 yet. 

besides, here are the following outcomes

The officer may:

Approve the application;

Continue the examination without making a decision (if more information is needed), if the applicant needs to be rescheduled, or for other relevant reasons; or

Deny the application.

Edited by praizee
edited meesage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.