Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

I go to the U.S. every year since 2016. We sent the I-129F on June 16th 2022. I went to New York with friends on July 10th and got asked the normal questions: reason of my visit (tourism), how long I was going to stay (1 weeks) and where (hotel).
The only different question was that the officer asked me to show her the return ticket. She did not ask nor mention about the k1 visa.

On December I will go to see my boyfriend and stay with him for 2 months so I wonder what kind of proof of ties to my country can I show them (if they ask for) that they will understand what it is, because the apartment rental contract or my salary receipt is in Spanish 🤔

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I'm curious, how many of the success stories on this thread hold African passports? I'd like to know your experiences.

I just tried my luck, first time B2 application - knew it was a long shot - had a whole bunch of documents showing ties to my home country (employment, lease, land title, utility bills), the officer at the Embassy didn't even look at them. As soon as I said I was going to visit my fiancé for the Christmas holidays and that we had a K1 visa pending, she handed me the rejection letter. No questions asked. She said "You will never get issued any non immigrant visa when you already have a pending application that shows immigrant intent”. 

Again, I knew it was a long shot, but still hurts to not be able to even present my case. (This thread also gave me false hope 😅, I fell for it). Alas, we'll just plan to meet somewhere else for the holidays as the wait continues!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 hours ago, Aren said:

I'm curious, how many of the success stories on this thread hold African passports? I'd like to know your experiences.

I just tried my luck, first time B2 application - knew it was a long shot - had a whole bunch of documents showing ties to my home country (employment, lease, land title, utility bills), the officer at the Embassy didn't even look at them. As soon as I said I was going to visit my fiancé for the Christmas holidays and that we had a K1 visa pending, she handed me the rejection letter. No questions asked. She said "You will never get issued any non immigrant visa when you already have a pending application that shows immigrant intent”. 

Again, I knew it was a long shot, but still hurts to not be able to even present my case. (This thread also gave me false hope 😅, I fell for it). Alas, we'll just plan to meet somewhere else for the holidays as the wait continues!

These are the common comments so not sure what you have been reading, a current thread

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 hours ago, Aren said:

This thread also gave me false hope 😅, I fell for it

This thread is for people who are qualified for ESTA/VWP or have an existing tourist visa prior to having a petition filed for them.  Not really for those who still have to apply for a tourist visa.  If you browse through the Tourist Visas sub-forum, you'll see that the common message is that it is next to impossible to be granted a tourist visa with a pending petition.  Unfortunate that your experience adds another data point confirming that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
2 hours ago, Chancy said:

This thread is for people who are qualified for ESTA/VWP or have an existing tourist visa prior to having a petition filed for them.  Not really for those who still have to apply for a tourist visa.  If you browse through the Tourist Visas sub-forum, you'll see that the common message is that it is next to impossible to be granted a tourist visa with a pending petition.  Unfortunate that your experience adds another data point confirming that.

Hmm we'd like to apply for CR1 with my husband, but we haven't filed our application yet, and my ESTA expires in February 2023. Does that mean if we file now and my ESTA expires I'll probably won't be able to get another one?

Timeline
1 minute ago, trixxi said:

Hmm we'd like to apply for CR1 with my husband, but we haven't filed our application yet, and my ESTA expires in February 2023. Does that mean if we file now and my ESTA expires I'll probably won't be able to get another one?

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

These are the common comments so not sure what you have been reading, a current thread

I'd only ever read this thread we're on. But someone has pointed out that it (the thread) only applies to people who qualify for ESTA or have had a visa before having a petition filed for them. That plus the thread you've shared, clearly I didn't read carefully or widely enough. It was a zero shot from the get-go.

HurtTee9_700x700_crop_center.png?v=16418

3 hours ago, Chancy said:

Thank you so much for pointing this out! I had completely missed that. It makes sense.

Timeline

I have seen cases where B's are issued, so not impossible, and there are of course no statistics published. My impression is that it is very rare and of course those who were not approved may not have been approved no matter what.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I’m traveling this Saturday to the US on ESTA for 2,5 weeks ish. 

im bringing in these documents 

-paystubs

-return ticket (me and my fiancé )

-train ticket back to my city

-working schedule for the first 2 weeks I’m back

- old and recent I-94 

-bank account and savings copy

-document stating the city I live in 

-NOA1 and k-1 visa package. 

is there anything else I could bring? I’m so nervous and worried. 

Timeline
46 minutes ago, xcowwyx said:

Hi everyone, I’m traveling this Saturday to the US on ESTA for 2,5 weeks ish. 

im bringing in these documents 

-paystubs

-return ticket (me and my fiancé )

-train ticket back to my city

-working schedule for the first 2 weeks I’m back

- old and recent I-94 

-bank account and savings copy

-document stating the city I live in 

-NOA1 and k-1 visa package. 

is there anything else I could bring? I’m so nervous and worried. 

Do you have problems in your past?

Edited by Boiler

Timeline
Just now, xcowwyx said:

What do you mean with problems?

A history that makes you expect to be cross examined?

Timeline

So you are taking stuff basically as a comfort blanket and nothing wrong with that, put it an envelope in your carry on, do not volunteer anything the chance of you being asked anything more than the stand 2 or 3 questions is very small 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.