Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

Timeline
10 hours ago, Naes said:

To tell the truth, I brought everything everytime and told them I'm visiting my fiancé. All they asked is for how long. Not even my ticket. Never took longer than 2 minutes. 

now this was lax and I believe they are comparatively easygoing. But before this when I said visiting my bf, I've been asked to show tickets etc. and it took me longer to get out of the airport.

1 thing though I read a lot is not to bring every single item for k1 but to have a picture of your noa1 with you if needed. (I've heard they may think you're just bringing everything... which sound illogical to me but just in case)

and try to relax :) being relax is the easiest way to all this.

I was planning to bring the NOA1 copy, the application and just a write out of our timeline so far. It's more of an in case thing. I'm not sure they'll ask me either. I think the car is my biggest evidence though. So that I will have as much info on as possible.

Haha relaxing would be good. I'm a naturally nervous person, as I have anxiety for confrontational situations and social situations, so hopefully I can seem normal.

Thank you Naes! For everything. Your data has been invaluable. :)

8/6/17 - K-1 Sent

8/11/17 - NOA1 Received 

2/14/18 - NOA2 Received

5/16/18 - Medical

5/22/18 - Interview

On 5/10/2007 at 3:39 PM, Michele and Adam said:

I'm sure all the vets on this board are tired of this daily question, but keep in mind that dozens of people are just starting this process every day, and the "can I visit while the application is pending?" question is one, if not the, most pressing matters to most of them.

Information about this is all over this site, but scattered. I for one am a person who likes to hear personal experiences too, so I can make a decision based on what others in my similar situation have gone through.

The answer is yes, visits are allowed. But whether you will actually be admitted lies entirely in the hands of the officer questioning you upon entry. And face it, hearing you've got a sweetheart you're intending to/have married waiting for you in the US is going to set off a "he/she is just going to stay here forever" bell to that officer. It's your job to convince that officer that you have a life back in your home country that you fully intend, and will, go back to.

Anyway, I'm hoping people will post their experiences visiting the USC before and during the visa journey. I'm sure that all of us do visit legally, and do leave when we're supposed to. So, is there anything that worked for you? Hindered you? If you were ever denied, why? Were you able to remedy the situation and try again?

Going through customs can make your stomach turn, and make you feel like a criminal even though you've done nothing wrong. So, let's try to calm each other down and tell each other our experiences. I think we'll find that most of us are admitted (albeit with a little hassle, perhaps).

Vets, maybe this will cut down on having to answer the question 5 times a day!

Michele

I have a question and hopefully someone here has some info. I am in the process of getting my K1 Visa and in the meantime I plan to go  visit my fiance. I heard that if you travel to the States with a Tourist visa that can delay the K1 process, like somehow it's put on hold.  Is this correct? I don't want to travel if that means that the k1 is going to take longer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, Ezraylia said:

Question for those who are more versed. I really don't want to read the whole 119 pages. That seems torturous. (I will if I must)

I'm in the middle of waiting on the NOA2 for the K-1 visa, and want to go visit my fiance in the States. I plan on going down for 4 weeks because we've never spent a lot of time together, and the wait is kind of driving me batty. 

I don't have a job. I live with my mother, so I do not have a lease. I do have my car, which I plan to drive down and import when the actual move happens, visa in hand.

So far, I'm going to compile:

• Travel Itinerary, which includes an already booked return flight.
  • Proof of car ownership, and some form of letter stating I will be importing it.
  • Insurance info, stating I have an active insurance plan.
  • Cell phone info, again stating I have an active contract/plan.
  • Pictures of my living space, clearly detailing I am still living there. (Saw someone mention that, so using it as a "just in case")
  • Any relevant K-1 process info: Application, status, etc.
  • Possibly letter from parents stating I will be returning, with their info if they would like to call.

Curious if there is any tips or if there is evidence I may have missed that would be helpful? I'm worried they will not let me in as I do not have a job or a lease to show I have responsibilities here. Thanks for any help!

I would highly recommend not showing them your letter stating that you'll be importing the car. This is proof of immigration intent and they can deny your entry because of it, especially since you are still waiting on your NOA2. I'd suggest waiting with showing the letter until you have received your K-1 Visa and show it at your Port of Entry when returning to the US to get married. 

Everything else on your list is great, definitely bring those other things along. I again would just suggest not showing the letting stating you want to import your car unless specifically asked for it by the customs/border control agent. It could cause delays in the processing of your K-1 application and as I already said, they could deny your entry. While waiting on your NOA2, you do not show up as trying to immigrate to the US yet. USCIS is processing your application to ensure all information is provided and your fiance is eligible to sponsor. Once you receive the NOA2 (meaning USCIS has sent your application to the NVC), you show up as trying to immigrate in the system, which is why most people have a difficult time travelling to see their fiances then. 

I traveled to visit my now husband 3 times before we received our NOA2 and I never had any issues. They never even asked how long I planned to stay. But we decided to get married and bring him to Canada instead, so when we went to San Francisco for our honeymoon in June 2017(got our NOA2 in March 2017), they simply wanted to know how long I would be staying and needed proof of a return ticket.  We went down again in November for Thanksgiving and had no issues. 

I know there's hundreds of posts with different experiences, but if you have the proper information along  and have proof that you'll be returning to your home country (a return ticket), there shouldn't be a problem unless you get a really crappy customs agent. Best of luck to you!

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello guys!

I'm considering a trip to see my fiancée in march during springbreak. At first we were considering meeting in another country because of my pending K-1 visa, I read that I could be denied entry into the US while my Visa was processing. But after reading this post I feel more confident that I can visit for 10 days considering that I'll still be working in France.

But what if my K-1 is granted before my travel?

We sent the documents for a RFE last week and they received them the 8th so 2 days ago.

Do you think it is risky to plan a travel in march or do you think nothing will have moved on by time? Is 2 months between an RFE answer and the interview seems likely to happen?

I just don't want to ruin all the process having my k-1 used just for a visit.

Thank you!

Edited by Gibus

K-1 Visa

05-16-2018: Interview (Approved)

05-23-2018: Visa Issued

08-02-2018: P.O.E Austin

08-24-2018: Married :)

AOS/EAD/AP:

09-05-2018: Package sent.                                                                 10-29-2018: New application sent.

09-11-2018: AOS/EAD/AP NOA-1                                                      11-05-2018: Reception text messages

09-12-2018: Request expedite AP                                                     11-06-2018: Fees cashed

09-12-2018: Expedite AP USCIS answer (request evidence).       11-07-2018: Expedite AP requested

09-13-2018: Evidence Fax sent                                                          11-08-2018: Expedite AP denied

09-14-2018: Notice for biometrics                                                    11-09-2018: NOA1 Hard copies

10-03-2018: Biometrics appointment                                               11-28-2018: Biometrics

10-20-2018: Rejected! (Check bounced) 😢                                   02-07-2019: Interview Notice

03-07-2019: Interview

03-07-2019: Card is being produced 🤗🤗🤗

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you definitely can!

I am visiting my fiancé right now in the US.

Flew with Air Canada in Toronto. The US customs officer in Toronto asked what will I be doing in the US (visiting my fiancé), how long will I be staying there (less than 2 weeks), when am I coming back, how many luggage have I checked in (two), then he asked again when I'll be coming back. That's it! :)  I thought there's going to be another US customs officer when I arrive in Honolulu, but no... I just went straight to baggage claim and there I saw the love of my life waiting for me. :wub:

I came prepared with evidences of strong ties to Canada (i.e. letter of employment, etc.) but none of those were asked for by the US C.O.

Hello all, I have a Canadian fiance and we have a tentative religious ceremony here in the US in August. The K-1 is pending (no NOA2 yet). Is he allowed to come as a visitor and attend the relgious ceremony? After the religious ceremony, he can go back and finish steps required for the K-1. Once he gets here we can do the court marriage. Thoughts? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My fiancee is currently waiting for NOA2, but her parents want to come to America to meet my parents - so we will be applying in Shanghai for B2 tourist visas for fiancee, mother, and father. I've told them it's a long shot, but we are staying optimistic that they will grant them the visas since it's just to visit my parents before we get married, scope out future living arrangements, look at wedding venues etc. 

I know it's a long shot, but we are bringing ad much evidence as we can. Wish us luck! Anyone else been in the same situation ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
6 hours ago, deepakchani said:

Hello all, I have a Canadian fiance and we have a tentative religious ceremony here in the US in August. The K-1 is pending (no NOA2 yet). Is he allowed to come as a visitor and attend the relgious ceremony? After the religious ceremony, he can go back and finish steps required for the K-1. Once he gets here we can do the court marriage. Thoughts? 

For the 3rd time... 

you can but it may cause rejection at the interview stage cause you may be considered too married. Happens a lot by the way if you go through vj for past cases.

I'm all for explaining everything till it satisfy you but as on your posts concerning this, people posted for you what having a religious ceremony can mean and how there are lots of people get rejected and also how in Canada religious ceremony means marriage even if you don't register it. I would say no that's risky. 

Also this topic is about traveling while on k1. Please ask in the other topics you created to not create confusion to others.

Timeline
On 1/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, Kathryn Baer said:

I would highly recommend not showing them your letter stating that you'll be importing the car. This is proof of immigration intent and they can deny your entry because of it, especially since you are still waiting on your NOA2. I'd suggest waiting with showing the letter until you have received your K-1 Visa and show it at your Port of Entry when returning to the US to get married. 

Everything else on your list is great, definitely bring those other things along. I again would just suggest not showing the letting stating you want to import your car unless specifically asked for it by the customs/border control agent. It could cause delays in the processing of your K-1 application and as I already said, they could deny your entry. While waiting on your NOA2, you do not show up as trying to immigrate to the US yet. USCIS is processing your application to ensure all information is provided and your fiance is eligible to sponsor. Once you receive the NOA2 (meaning USCIS has sent your application to the NVC), you show up as trying to immigrate in the system, which is why most people have a difficult time travelling to see their fiances then. 

I traveled to visit my now husband 3 times before we received our NOA2 and I never had any issues. They never even asked how long I planned to stay. But we decided to get married and bring him to Canada instead, so when we went to San Francisco for our honeymoon in June 2017(got our NOA2 in March 2017), they simply wanted to know how long I would be staying and needed proof of a return ticket.  We went down again in November for Thanksgiving and had no issues. 

I know there's hundreds of posts with different experiences, but if you have the proper information along  and have proof that you'll be returning to your home country (a return ticket), there shouldn't be a problem unless you get a really crappy customs agent. Best of luck to you!

The only reason I would be showing them that info, is if they ask the questions that lead to them wanting to know what ties I have to Canada, to help ease their mind that I won't be entering the US and staying. It's just to show I have reason to come back really. It's kind of a last resort. Just being super prepared in case I do get that crappy, moody agent.

Thanks so much! I'm excited to finally see him again, and horribly nervous. Haha.

8/6/17 - K-1 Sent

8/11/17 - NOA1 Received 

2/14/18 - NOA2 Received

5/16/18 - Medical

5/22/18 - Interview

On 1/10/2018 at 1:24 PM, deepakchani said:

You need to research the threads on here, and on google about having a religious ceremony prior to the marriage. USCIS often consider people who have gone through such ceremonies "too married" for k1 even though the marriage was religious, not legal.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 1/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, Limey said:

You need to research the threads on here, and on google about having a religious ceremony prior to the marriage. USCIS often consider people who have gone through such ceremonies "too married" for k1 even though the marriage was religious, not legal.

Fully agree. It is not advice-able. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi everyone. I am the beneficiary and we got our NOA1 on Sep 14 2017.

Process is killing us like everyone else and I've seen on this great thread that most people say its definitely possible to gain entry to the states on a tourist visa as long as you are willing to be upfront and show you have ties in your home country.

My question is, does going to the States during the K1 process impact the K1 application at all? Obviously I declared I;d never been to the States when we submitted the application. does me going DURING the application have any negative impact on the application at all?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nearly 1800 posts suggest not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.