Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2018 at 2:53 PM, E_G said:

Just wanted to share my recent experience - I entered via Stewart airport (New York) on the Thursday the 22nd  Feb- I was incredibly nervous and had been fretting the entire flight about being refused entry and sent back! I had prepared and brought a letter from my employer stating the date I was returning to work - anyway, the interaction went as follows:

Me: Hi

Officer: How long are you visiting for?

Me: I fly back on Monday the 26th

Officer: What do you do for work?

Me: *states employer and job title*

Officer: Enjoy your stay

All that fretting for two questions!! <_<:D

I went through the same thing. Almost had a panic attack on my way there, I kept imagining all the possible scenarios just to be prepared. The officer asked me why I was visiting, when i was flying back and how much money I had with me. That was all. but it is a good thing to be prepared. Have a save return.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 2/25/2018 at 5:53 AM, E_G said:

Just wanted to share my recent experience - I entered via Stewart airport (New York) on the Thursday the 22nd  Feb- I was incredibly nervous and had been fretting the entire flight about being refused entry and sent back! I had prepared and brought a letter from my employer stating the date I was returning to work - anyway, the interaction went as follows:

Me: Hi

Officer: How long are you visiting for?

Me: I fly back on Monday the 26th

Officer: What do you do for work?

Me: *states employer and job title*

Officer: Enjoy your stay

All that fretting for two questions!! <_<:D

I was so shocked and couldn't even move when the first time they asked only the same two questions...and I even said to visit my fiancé! Never made an easier entry before k1.

I was expecting to see that infamous secondary question room..... at this rate I'll only go there for k1 papers :D 

hope you enjoyed your time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Wow, that sounds like it went real easy. Awesome. I hope you have a great trip.

I remember the last time I traveled in December before we filed the K1. I knew a proposal was coming as we had been talking about making it a permanent arrangement. They we're pretty in depth at Newark airport:

- Who are you here to visit?

---My boyfriend

- Do you have any plans to get married?

---Maybe, but he's got to ask me something first. *big grin* the officer laughed with me

- So what will you if he asks you to marry him?

---Say yes of course!

- And what will you do next?

---Guess we'll have to do a lot of paperwork... I pulled a face and she laughed at that

- Alright ma'am, have a nice visit.

She was really nice, but I was sweating it... I had all the K1 papers with me so we could file them. :whistle:

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Hi there, 

My fiancé received our NOA1 in December 2017 for K1 visa. He initially visited in November stayed for two weeks and then again returned from December to end of January. I then came to Canada for a week and am returning home at the moment. He was suppose to return with me but was denied access to the US. We were aware this could be an issue but it was not a pleasant experience. He had forgotten to bring proof of his return flight home and since he’s currently unemployed they are convinced he would want to stay in the US forever. If any suspicion arises they will pull you into a second interview with boarder officer and question you. Make sure that you have proof of ties to home. The officer said that he will not be able to return until the visa is approved. Does anyone know if this is true? Can my fiancé retry to visit the US? Any advice will help. Also does anyone know what top rejection for I129f is?

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
13 minutes ago, KimberlyAnn1 said:

Hi there, 

My fiancé received our NOA1 in December 2017 for K1 visa. He initially visited in November stayed for two weeks and then again returned from December to end of January. I then came to Canada for a week and am returning home at the moment. He was suppose to return with me but was denied access to the US. We were aware this could be an issue but it was not a pleasant experience. He had forgotten to bring proof of his return flight home and since he’s currently unemployed they are convinced he would want to stay in the US forever. If any suspicion arises they will pull you into a second interview with boarder officer and question you. Make sure that you have proof of ties to home. The officer said that he will not be able to return until the visa is approved. Does anyone know if this is true? Can my fiancé retry to visit the US? Any advice will help. Also does anyone know what top rejection for I129f is?

Thanks

Not meeting in person, not being able to provide evidence for bonafide relationship if asked and not being single is the top reason I hear from I-129f petition.

I know some people being able to go to US even after being denied at the border. However needs to provide strong ties home.

currently unemployed and without return ticket.. why did he even try??

Edited by Naes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 26/02/2018 at 9:44 AM, Naes said:

I was so shocked and couldn't even move when the first time they asked only the same two questions...and I even said to visit my fiancé! Never made an easier entry before k1.

I was expecting to see that infamous secondary question room..... at this rate I'll only go there for k1 papers :D 

hope you enjoyed your time!

I know right! Me too! It was the least questions I've been asked of all my visits. I'd convinced myself I was going to be taken into the dreaded question room. I was like wait, 2 questions, is that it? :D 

NOA1: February 13th

NOA2: September 4th

NVC case # assigned: September 21st 

Medical @ Knightsbridge: December 5th

Interview: December 17th

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/26/2018 at 7:36 AM, KimberlyAnn1 said:

Hi there, 

Thanks

We are in the same boat, and even with proof of ties, are uncertain whether my fiancé should make another attempt at the border. He has not tried for 7 months and we are still waiting for the NOA2...worse case scenario would hopefully be that he would just get denied entry again. Basically if the CBP thinks you have immigration intent, you’re not going to get through. Good luck!

My fiancé visited America from October 4th 2017 to December 28th 2017, basically like three or four days below his maximum 90day ESTA allowance.  

Would he be allowed back in the USA at the end of this month (March) or would it be foolish for him to try and come back so early ? We have NOA1 and are waiting NOA2 

2 hours ago, audaud said:

My fiancé visited America from October 4th 2017 to December 28th 2017, basically like three or four days below his maximum 90day ESTA allowance.  

Would he be allowed back in the USA at the end of this month (March) or would it be foolish for him to try and come back so early ? We have NOA1 and are waiting NOA2 

Hi! there isn't any specific rule, he may be allowed back in, but the general rule of thumb that I've heard with the ESTA is that you stay away twice as long as you were there for (although I have returned to see my fiance within less time).

last year I spent the majority of my summer with my Fiance, just under 3 months and then i went back for another month to spend together just under a month later accompanied by my fiance (since he had flown to the UK beforehand), the officer said he was letting me through but told me to be careful and look into other visas if I'm planning on spending this much time in the US since that isn't what the ESTA is for, and that it's meant for short occasional visits. It's up to the individual border control officers discretion and whether you guys think its worth it :). Just my experience! good luck i hope everything goes well with your visa process and I hope you guys are able to see each other, the wait sucks! Just make sure you have all the information and proof that your partner will be going back to assure the officer that there isn't anything to worry about!

Edited by jijiji

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, KBA said:

We are in the same boat, and even with proof of ties, are uncertain whether my fiancé should make another attempt at the border. He has not tried for 7 months and we are still waiting for the NOA2...worse case scenario would hopefully be that he would just get denied entry again. Basically if the CBP thinks you have immigration intent, you’re not going to get through. Good luck!

**Update, my fiancé made it through the border with bringing a lot of documentation of ties! They gave him a paper saying how long he can be here which he has to hand into Canada when he returns 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys, I have a few quick questions. My fiance and I are currently waiting on our NOA2 (and are expecting to be until late August, NOA1 Feb. 14) but we're planning a trip to surprise my mom for her birthday in June. First question, I will be flying with him as we both currently reside in the UK, has anyone else had experience with this?

My main question: because of costs and other factors, we will be flying into Toronto, Canada where we will be meeting my parents/surprising my mom and driving back through the US into Michigan. Has anyone tried entering during the process through the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron, MI or the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit? (We will be going through at Blue Water since it's much closer to where I live but not far enough to rule out going through Ambassador if it would be easier for him.)

I know it's up to the discretion of the CBP Officer I just want to be as mentally prepared as possible.  :lol:

I've crossed over it a dozen times without any issues but I'm the USC with an enhanced drivers license. We have crossed over it together once before but we were going into Canada and not into the US. My main concern is that it will be harder to cross here than it would be to cross through an airport- does anyone have some experience or advice? 

💕 Our Love Story 💕

Met Online: December 18th, 2014

Met in Person: August 31st, 2016

Began Dating: October 28th, 2016

Moved in Together in the UK: August 21st, 2017

Filed I-129F: February 7th, 2018

NOA1 Received: February 14th, 2018 💗

He Officially Proposed: August 8th, 2018

NOA2 Received: August 14th, 2018 

NVC Received: August 31st, 2018

Consulate Received: September 21, 2018

Medical Exam (Knightsbridge): October 3rd, 2018

Interview Date (London): October 24th, 2018

K1 Visa Issued: November 21st, 2018

Passport Received: November 27th, 2018

POE (Detroit): December 2nd, 2018 💚

Applied for SSN: December 22nd, 2018

Married: January 17th, 2019 💕

SSN Received: January 25th, 2019

AOS Filed: February 8th 2019

AOS Received: February 14th 2019

Biometrics Appointment Received: April 12th, 2019

Biometrics Rescheduled: July 15th, 2019

Green Card Appointment: August 1st 2019

Green Card Approved: August 29th, 2019

Green Card Issued: September 30th, 2019

Filed I-751: July 8th, 2021

I-751 Received: July 12th, 2021

Biometrics Waived: September 9th, 2021

Updated Green Card Printed: January 31st, 2023

Petition for Removal of Conditions Approved: February 1st, 2023

10 Year Green Card Received: February 6th, 2023

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

My personal feeling is that it won't be an issue as long as the story is clear (motive for flying into Toronto instead of DTW). I've done this before, and although it's not the usual border crosser by land, I've never had an issue. I just needed to explain clearly why I did what I did, and even though it took longer, it was fine. A lot of Detroit-area people fly out of Toronto (or Chicago for that matter) depending on where they are flying and why. DTW is convenient, but not always cheap.

Stay cool, get your story together, then report back how it went. Should be fine. :-)

Duane

01/20/2018 – DAY 000 – I-129F packet sent via FedEx

01/22/2018 – DAY 002 – I-129F packet delivered to Lewisville, TX in AM

01/26/2018 – DAY 005 – I-129F text & e-mail confirmation received, check cashed

02/01/2018 – DAY 011 – I-129F NOA1 hard copy received (postmark 1/29 CA to MI)

09/14/2018 – DAY 237 – "official" I-129F NOA2 approval date per paper NOA2

09/17/2018 – DAY 240 – approval date I-129F NOA2 per phone app and "old" USCIS website

09/18/2018 – DAY 241 – call automated USCIS 1-800 number, approval I-129F confirmed

09/19/2018 – DAY 242 – consult new USCIS website. Updated two days late, but approved!

09/21/2018 – DAY 245 – received hardcopy of NOA2 in the mail

10/01/2018 – DAY 255 – NVC received petition from USCIS and case number assigned

10/16/2018 – DAY 270 – NVC sends case file via DHL to Singapore embassy – CEAC status "In Transit"

10/19/2018 – DAY 273 – per DHL tracking case file received by Singapore embassy (Friday)

10/22/2018 – DAY 276 – status per CEAC website tracker now officially "READY" (Monday)

10/23/2018 – DAY 277 – packet 3 sent out by embassy via registered mail

10/25/2018 – DAY 279 – packet 3 delivered to incorrect address, SingPost mail redirect did not work!

10/29/2018 – DAY 283 – contacted embassy and received tracking information for packet 3

10/30/2018 – DAY 284 – retrieved packet 3 directly from SingPost, returned packet 3 via speedpost

10/31/2018 – DAY 285 – packet 3 received by embassy

10/31/2018 – DAY 285 – packet 4 e-mail received from embassy – interview date November 20th

11/01/2018 – DAY 286 – medical exam at Fullerton Clinic completed successfully

11/15/2018 – DAY 300 – medical exam report sent by clinic to embassy

11/20/2018 – DAY 305 – interview in embassy PASSED! review here

11/27/2018 – DAY 312 – K-1 visa picked up at Aramex

01/16/2019 – DAY 362 – POE Detroit Metro Airport review here

05/04/2019 – DAY 470 – send AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131)

05/09/2019 – DAY 475 – NOA date I-485 / I-765 / I-131

07/11/2019 – DAY 538 – NOA interview – scheduled for 8/22 Detroit Field Office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi all,

If you go to visit on ESTA and they let you in, do you then after send in your new I-94? My boyfriend is saying we will have to do that but I dont' want to deal with even more waiting time...

Off topic: I am also changing jobs during our waiting period. Do we have to let that know too? Guess it will be the same answer...

Thanks for the info,

Eve

His I-94 will just update online and his new arrival and departure date will be added. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
11 hours ago, Dutchster said:

His I-94 will just update online and his new arrival and departure date will be added. 

I know. But when you apply for the K1, you have to send your I-94. If you visit after the application, do you have to send the new one? It's mine btw, I would like to go and visit. We haven't seen each other since end october, and the first time my bf can come is only end of june. Our application only started jan 29 so we have a long time to go...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.