Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,457 posts in this topic

I don't recall sending my I-94 with my original I-129F application, nor is it needed but okay. No, you do not need to send a new one. 

Go on a trip, visit, make picture, hold on to your flight tickets and show that to the interview officer at your K-1 interview. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
6 hours ago, Dutchster said:

I don't recall sending my I-94 with my original I-129F application, nor is it needed but okay. No, you do not need to send a new one. 

Go on a trip, visit, make picture, hold on to your flight tickets and show that to the interview officer at your K-1 interview. 

I looked at the form again. You need to give the I-94 form Record number. Question 38b

Edited by Eve81

Hi guys,

it's not exactly related to few messages before I thought I'd pitch in my experiences visiting the US (I'm not the USC obviously).

August 4, 2017 (before K1), POE Chicago : Coming to the US for 84 days, I lie saying I'm here for tourism, to visit Wisconsin etc, get pulled into secondary, and still keep on the lie while I end up getting interrogated. Then the agent hands me a piece of paper talking about why my electronics got taken and tell me she's going to take a look at my phone so if there's anything I'm hiding, it's time to say them. So I say timidly that the person with whom I'll be staying with is my girlfrien. Then, as I go back to sit and realize all the things she could see, in particular the fact that we're thinking about getting married. I ask an agent if I can go back to talk to her and then let all the truth pour out (with probably more details than needed but I knew I had to make sure she knew I wasn't hiding anything anymore). She then told she'd keep looking at my phone to make sure I was sayiong the truth. Then lets me in telling me that next time I come I shouldn't lie and that she put everything I said on file (that's all I'll know about what she wrote). I gotta admit, that probably wasn't my best move and I can't believe I got in, the agent must have been understanding.

October 26th, 2017: return to Paris, no problem

We had started filing for K1 during my stay and in November 21st: NOA 1

December 25th through January 2nd: visit from USC with 2 children adn mother, no problem.

January 9th, 2018; POE Chicago:

Officer: why are you here?Me: To visit my fiancée.

Officer: Is your fiancée a USC?

Me: Yes.

How long

Edited by frenchval
technical issue, hadn't finished typing post

Our Immigration Journey 🙃

- K1 Visa 2017-11-14 (sent) to 2018-07-26 (visa received)

- Adjustment of Status 2018-08-13 (filed) to 2019-03-27 (approval)

Now on to Lifting Conditions!

- 2021-02-12 sent

- 2021-03-22 check cashed

- 2021-03-23 NOA by text

Sorry for the double post but it didn't let me edit, so here's the whole post:

Hi guys,

it's not exactly related to few messages before I thought I'd pitch in my experiences visiting the US (I'm not the USC obviously).

August 4, 2017 (before K1), POE Chicago : Coming to the US for 84 days, I lie saying I'm here for tourism, to visit Wisconsin etc, get pulled into secondary, and still keep on the lie while I end up getting interrogated. Then the agent hands me a piece of paper talking about why my electronics got taken and tell me she's going to take a look at my phone so if there's anything I'm hiding, it's time to say them. So I say timidly that the person with whom I'll be staying with is my girlfrien. Then, as I go back to sit and realize all the things she could see, in particular the fact that we're thinking about getting married. I ask an agent if I can go back to talk to her and then let all the truth pour out (with probably more details than needed but I knew I had to make sure she knew I wasn't hiding anything anymore). She then told she'd keep looking at my phone to make sure I was sayiong the truth. Then lets me in telling me that next time I come I shouldn't lie and that she put everything I said on file (that's all I'll know about what she wrote). I gotta admit, that probably wasn't my best move and I can't believe I got in, the agent must have been understanding. She did advise me to not come back for that long next time.

October 26th, 2017: return to Paris, no problem

We had started filing for K1 during my stay and on November 21st: NOA 1

December 25th through January 2nd: visit from USC with 2 children and mother, no problem.

January 9th, 2018; POE Chicago: The officer asks me why I'm here (to visit my fiancée), for how long (1 month 10days), how long I stayed last time I came and when, then asks me what my job is (for now, I have to work for a temp agency) and then he says "we're going to ask you a few more questions".

I wait 2 hours in secondary, then a person calls me at that desk that is in the same "waiting" room (so yay! maybe my case is not important enough to pull me out in the "interrogation room") I get asked the same questions basically with added "how are you paying for those trips?" (my jobs, free housing by my parents in France and by my fiancée in the US)

So at that point, I realize that I should adapt the answer-only-what's-asked rule and volunteer the information (that noone had asked) that we filed for K1 and that I have it with me. He asks me for the NOA1 only, that I give. Seemed that it was the secret code to enter the US.

February 20th, 2018: return to Paris, no problem

I'm coming back for a month and a half on March 26th. The timing is a bit tight I know but hopefully it'll work. I'm thinking of bringing up the k1 right away (I'm testing different things ;) ,) I'll let you know how that works)

And then, if it works, I'll definitely have used up my 6 months out of 12 months. Also, hopefully we'll get approved soon after that!

Love and courage to y'all!

Our Immigration Journey 🙃

- K1 Visa 2017-11-14 (sent) to 2018-07-26 (visa received)

- Adjustment of Status 2018-08-13 (filed) to 2019-03-27 (approval)

Now on to Lifting Conditions!

- 2021-02-12 sent

- 2021-03-22 check cashed

- 2021-03-23 NOA by text

6 hours ago, Eve81 said:

I looked at the form again. You need to give the I-94 form Record number. Question 38b

That's when he or she is currently residing in the US as a visitor, student or crewman. Since that wasn't the case for me, for example, I did not fill that out. 

Edited by Dutchster

Naturalization                                                        
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  

'Merica. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

That's when he or she is currently residing in the US as a visitor, student or crewman. Since that wasn't the case for me, for example, I did not fill that out. 

Aha, so then we probably have given to much info...

3 minutes ago, Eve81 said:

Aha, so then we probably have given to much info...

Depenending on what you exactly filled out between 38.a and 38.h, it might come off as the fiance is currently in the US. 

Naturalization                                                        

'Merica. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

Depenending on what you exactly filled out between 38.a and 38.h, it might come off as the fiance is currently in the US. 

It gives the departure dates too on the I-94. Showed I left. But it can be we gave it in as an partial proof of seeing each other the last two years. Don't know if my bf filled in those numbers... He had it checked out by a lawyer too so or the lawyer is really shitty, or he didn't fill it in. It's annoying I can't do these things

My fiance (in the US) and I have received a wedding invitation from a friend, initially my plan was to put off travelling to the US until we get our K-1 visa but with the latest processing times, it'd be nice to spend at least a month there with my Fiance and attend our friends wedding. (I would have just graduated university, I'm hoping to find a part-time job after I graduate to save up, + make sure I have more ties to the UK.), I'd assume showing we've applied and complying with applying for a K-1 visa that would help our case?

On the off chance that someone is denied entry, how does this affect their K-1 visa process? does it mean you end up with some sort of mark against your name? Not going to the US to see my fiance (although he can travel to the UK, and not seeing our cat and not attending our friends wedding seems like such a sad thing :(. I'll plan to go if there isn't too much risk/impact involved, if anyone can let me know how it affects the process? Thanks!

On 3/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, jijiji said:

On the off chance that someone is denied entry, how does this affect their K-1 visa process? does it mean you end up with some sort of mark against your name? Not going to the US to see my fiance (although he can travel to the UK, and not seeing our cat and not attending our friends wedding seems like such a sad thing :(. I'll plan to go if there isn't too much risk/impact involved, if anyone can let me know how it affects the process? Thanks!

It depends on the reason you are denied. If you lie to them, and are denied as a result, that is obviously a black mark against you and will affect your chances of getting a k1 (since they will have doubt over anything you say in that application, and you may be subject to being barred from the US for a period).

If you are denied because eg they believe you have insufficient ties to home, or not enough money to support yourself during the trip etc then this won't affect k1.

So the golden rule is always be honest. Its better to be denied entry for telling the truth, than be denied entry for lying.

My own experience, and the anecdotal experience of others here seems to be that
1) USCIS officers are good at spotting untruths, and good at spotting people who are concealing something. Once you are caught in a lie, its much harder to turn things around even if you start to tell the truth.
2) These same officers appreciate honesty - if you are honest about things (eg like you are visiting a fiance) then this builds trust and they are much more likely to believe you if you say "we're going to apply for k1". Obviously if you've applied and have NOA1 or 2 already, that's even more evidence that you are doing things the right way.

I traveled to the USA quite a few times before and after applying for the k1. I only ever had trouble once, and it was purely because the USCIS guy said he thought I was traveling too often (I was nowhere near the nominal 50% limits, and had only spent one of the last 7 months in the USA). I was honest, and told him that in all my trips to the USA (I had a J1 visa many years before too) I'd always obeyed the terms of my visa, I respected the US law and since we would probably be applying for k1 I didn't want to do anything to affect that. At that point his demeanor changed and he was much more accommodating, and let me in.

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

I've been put in Secondary once by CBP in 2015, only because my return was a little too quick. (Barely six weeks in between visits)  I answered honestly about road-tripping and visiting my then-boyfriend (now husband) which they appreciated. My advise would be to be honest, take your paperwork with you (NOA1 or NOA2 as proof of you both wanting to do it the legal way and maybe some proof of home ties just in case)

Roughly 125 pages of people who share successful stories about visiting while awaiting the visa process. You and everyone else should be fine as long as your 100% honest with CBP.

Naturalization                                                        

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I came to NY to visit my fiancé for the first time since we’ve got engaged. I was worried after hearing/reading some bad histories, so I got some of the tips from the forum. I asked my employer to prepare a letter stating Im still working there and had a copy of our NO1... 

I arrived and there was no line in border control, the conversation with the officer after mornings greetings went like this:

officer: What is the purpose of your visit?

me: Vacations ( it is true) 

officer: for how long are you staying 

me: 16 days

officer: are you traveling with someone or meeting people here?

me: meeting people here

officer: have a nice trip!

I only gave him the info that he asked for and it was pretty fast. If he had asked who I was visiting, I was going to say my fiance. 

He didn’t check the pages of my passport, normally when they check it, they ask more questions about the quantity of entries....

:D 

hope you guys can visit easily too!! 

Wish I didn’t have to leave though hehe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I came to Michigan to visit my fiance for the first time after we applied for K1 two weeks ago.

I was very worried even though I heard most positive interviews from people visiting after k1 and i brought my NOA1 .

I flew from Sao Paulo - Brazil to Mexico City and then Chicago, my flight arrived at 1315 so there was no line and only a couple officers working.

The officer was laughing and joking with another officer so that made me more relaxed, he was very polite but short and straight forward with his questios, there were his questions:

1 where are you going?

2 why? - my fiance

3 how did you meet?

4 what's your boyfriends name?

5 how long are you staying?

6 When was the last time you came to the USA?

7 How long did you stay?

8 what do you do in Brazil? - I'm a teacher

9 What do you teach?

He checked all the pages in my passports (I have two and have to travel with both) but didnt ask to check any document. It seems like it was a lot of questions but it didnt last longer than 4 minutes.
I was very scared because I had 2 bags of 23 kilos and 1 carry on + a personal item because I want to leave clothes here already but it went very smooth.

I didnt mention k1 because the officer didnt ask and I didnt wanna give more information than he was asking for it.
I also got a 6 months stamp.

If anyone is in Michigan or coming to Michigan, grand rapids area and would like to meet up just hit me up I would love to meet you!

Good luck to you all trying to visit your loved ones.

Edited by Bianca V

Hi Everyone,
My apologies if this question has been asked previously. My fiancee and I submitted our I-129f form in October 2017 for the K1 visa and received our NOA1. We are currently awaiting our NOA2. Is it possible for her to visit me in the United States with her ESTA? 
Her last visit was this past summer on the visa waiver program with her Chilean passport. She has Chilean and Ecuadorian citizenship and resides in Ecuador.
We would love to visit each other, but do not want to jeopordize our dream of getting married.

Many thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.