45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Im a US citizen and she is mexican.  im 23 she is 24. we met in a game called Guns of Glory of feburary 2018 we developed a friendship and in April 2018 we developed a relationship.. we found out we have alot in common such as hobbies, foods, opinions, beliefs, religion,   In may i went down to mexico to meet her and was down there for about 1 week it was amazing.  In july i plan to travel down for 2 weeks and make a proposal depending on how that goes.. of which i am sure will go great.  i will not have any paid time off after that until december where i will visit for hopefully 4 weeks.  we have logged about 200 hours of calling.. and texts i am sure are in the thousands...  we basically talk 18 hours a day.

we meet all requirements for this Visa. including my incom and meeting in person

heres the issue... she doesnt not know english.. our common language is spanish but my spanish is not very fluent.. i can survive touring a spnanish country but could not live in one.

we are hoping to start the petition in october as she still will need to get her passports for her and her son (no legal father)..  

How will she prove i know spanish? and if anyone is familiar with juraz.. what do they consider fluent enough to communicate..?

is our relationship long enough for them to beleive its bona fida?

and any advice on how to afford this...? im lucky to have 50 left over monthly (stupid credit card debts).. and she is struggling to keep a roof over her head.. best lawyer ive found is $5k for both her and her son from petition to AOS and then the filing fees and governemnt fees...  nearing $8k to bring them here and keep them here...

20180508_135159.jpg

Edited by Russel1995

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Regardless of the time spent it's up to you to prove that the relationshop is bonafide and it's definitely doable. There is no specific requirement on how long you must have been togerher in order to apply. Some people apply after spending 1 week together.

You don't necessarily need a lawyer to do the paperwork for you. A lot of people do it themselves. It's not that hard, there are instructions and you can also ask for advices in places like this one. Hiring a lawyer doesn't guarantee you anything.

She can tell at the interview that you know Spanish and you mostly communicate in Spanish, however I believe the bigger issue will be her not knowing English. How is she going to start a new live in the US if she doesn't know the language? How will she work, communicate with people, etc.? I would suggest her starting English classes asap.

23 minutes ago, Russel1995 said:

heres the issue... she doesnt not know english.. our common language is spanish but my spanish is not very fluent.. i can survive touring a spnanish country but could not live in one.

So how do you two imagine her living in the US? Finding a job? Being a social? Passing a driving test? Doing anything?

If she's willing to learn and she'll take ESL classes, it will still take time for her to learn English. Are you willing to support both of you before she can even look for jobs? Is she ok living in the country which language she doesn't know?

What if embassy will ask how you communicate and she's say that you communicate through your not-so-great Spanish.. Doesn't look very good.

we are hoping to start the petition in october as she still will need to get her passports for her and her son (no legal father)..  

What do you mean no legal father? Unless father is dead, she  might need his permission to take a child abroad?

I'd give it more time, but what do I know? I've seen people here getting married after "knowing" each other for 2 months. Which personally for me, is ridiculous. I don't believe you can get to know someone in such short period of time. But that's on you guys.

and any advice on how to afford this...?

Find another job? This is all going to cost A LOT. First you need K1 payments (few hundreds $$) , if she doesn't have any money you might have to pay for her medical exam, then interview at the embassy payments... Plane ticket payment? And of course after you get married you'll need over 1.2k $ just to file for her green card. And of course the child will need paperworks also. And fees.

Not to mention you need to proof the USCIS that you can support both of you. Means you need to show your tax returns, paychecks, file affidavit of support - if you don't make 125% poverty line then you'll need a co-sponsor for the affidavit. But all the payments will be on you anyway. So that's something to think about it. Those fees cannot be avoided.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
1 hour ago, Russel1995 said:

Im a US citizen and she is mexican.  im 23 she is 24. we met in a game called Guns of Glory of feburary 2018 we developed a friendship and in April 2018 we developed a relationship.. we found out we have alot in common such as hobbies, foods, opinions, beliefs, religion,   In may i went down to mexico to meet her and was down there for about 1 week it was amazing.  In july i plan to travel down for 2 weeks and make a proposal depending on how that goes.. of which i am sure will go great.  i will not have any paid time off after that until december where i will visit for hopefully 4 weeks.  we have logged about 200 hours of calling.. and texts i am sure are in the thousands...  we basically talk 18 hours a day.

we meet all requirements for this Visa. including my incom and meeting in person

How will she prove i know spanish? and if anyone is familiar with juraz.. what do they consider fluent enough to communicate..?

and any advice on how to afford this...? im lucky to have 50 left over monthly (stupid credit card debts).. and she is struggling to keep a roof over her head.. best lawyer ive found is $5k for both her and her son from petition to AOS and then the filing fees and governemnt fees...  nearing $8k to bring them here and keep them here...

The best advice I can give you is DO IT BY YOURSELF =  NO LAWYER. I said this because here in Visajourney (and other websites) you would found all the tools needing to apply for K1 visa successfully. That's what My husband did. The language, You going to have plenty of time to practice your Spanish and for her to learn some English (applications take time :)). If she has internet I would suggest https://englishlive.ef.com/en-us/ or even Openenglish.com sometime easy so she would be able to understand a little more if she doesn't. 

Now talking about Finances, you may be going to need a co-sponsor just for the visa purposes. \\

Everything is here in visa journey you only need to read A LOT and used your best judgment.

50 minutes ago, Roel said:

What do you mean no legal father? Unless father is dead, she  might need his permission to take a child abroad?

BTW, NO LEGAL FATHER means that it wasn't recognized by natural father.  Mother have all rights and duty. 

Edited by PilsenCanela

:luv:If you're tearing down my world, please just try to do it gently.There is love inside.... (L)

Timeline
2 hours ago, PilsenCanela said:

The best advice I can give you is DO IT BY YOURSELF =  NO LAWYER. I said this because here in Visajourney (and other websites) you would found all the tools needing to apply for K1 visa successfully. That's what My husband did. The language, You going to have plenty of time to practice your Spanish and for her to learn some English (applications take time :)). If she has internet I would suggest https://englishlive.ef.com/en-us/ or even Openenglish.com sometime easy so she would be able to understand a little more if she doesn't. 

Now talking about Finances, you may be going to need a co-sponsor just for the visa purposes. \\

Everything is here in visa journey you only need to read A LOT and used your best judgment.

BTW, NO LEGAL FATHER means that it wasn't recognized by natural father.  Mother have all rights and duty. 

Thank for the answer.  she knows a little english as ive been teaching her. we plan to have her in english classes in the US when we can.

the required income i need is 23k.. i have double that but i have debts that actually make me have little money left over monthly... does USCIS look into this?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
1 minute ago, Russel1995 said:

Thank for the answer.  she knows a little english as ive been teaching her. we plan to have her in english classes in the US when we can.

the required income i need is 23k.. i have double that but i have debts that actually make me have little money left over monthly... does USCIS look into this?

They only care about how much money you make no how you spend it. As long you don't get government benefits you would be ok. 

:luv:If you're tearing down my world, please just try to do it gently.There is love inside.... (L)

Timeline
11 minutes ago, PilsenCanela said:

They only care about how much money you make no how you spend it. As long you don't get government benefits you would be ok. 

thank you.  Ive never received any benefits from government.

3 hours ago, PilsenCanela said:

Yes, her sons fathers name is not on any birthcertificates or legal documents. she they both have agreed to keep it that way as she doesnt not want to deal with him and he doesnt want a child.  She had fulll legal rights.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Roel said:

So how do you two imagine her living in the US? Finding a job? Being a social? Passing a driving test? Doing anything?

If she's willing to learn and she'll take ESL classes, it will still take time for her to learn English. Are you willing to support both of you before she can even look for jobs? Is she ok living in the country which language she doesn't know?

What if embassy will ask how you communicate and she's say that you communicate through your not-so-great Spanish.. Doesn't look very good.

I'd give it more time, but what do I know? I've seen people here getting married after "knowing" each other for 2 months. Which personally for me, is ridiculous. I don't believe you can get to know someone in such short period of time. But that's on you guys.

Find another job? This is all going to cost A LOT. First you need K1 payments (few hundreds $$) , if she doesn't have any money you might have to pay for her medical exam, then interview at the embassy payments... Plane ticket payment? And of course after you get married you'll need over 1.2k $ just to file for her green card. And of course the child will need paperworks also. And fees.

Not to mention you need to proof the USCIS that you can support both of you. Means you need to show your tax returns, paychecks, file affidavit of support - if you don't make 125% poverty line then you'll need a co-sponsor for the affidavit. But all the payments will be on you anyway. So that's something to think about it. Those fees cannot be avoided.

should note we wouldnt be married after 2 months.. theres at least another 4 months befor filing snd the lawyer i been talking to has informes me he rlase k1 took 13 months.  we also talk 7am to 3am most days... basically theres alot more conversation than most couples i see.

My income is well above the 125% guidline... i simply have debts.. and many jobs including my work dont necisarily  require english... but she would work on learning english while here.  

your answer didnt help so much 🙄

also didnt say my spanish isnt good 😅  its good for what i know and thats only enough to tour a country.  I beleive itd be considered a B1 level.

1 minute ago, Russel1995 said:

should note we wouldnt be married after 2 months.. theres at least another 4 months befor filing snd the lawyer i been talking to has informes me he rlase k1 took 13 months.  we also talk 7am to 3am most days... basically theres alot more conversation than most couples i see.

My income is well above the 125% guidline... i simply have debts.. and many jobs including my work dont necisarily  require english... but she would work on learning english while here.  

your answer didnt help so much 🙄

also didnt say my spanish isnt good 😅  its good for what i know and thats only enough to tour a country.  I beleive itd be considered a B1 level.

Well I'm sorry my answer wasn't good enough for you. 

K1 takes about 10 months. Also trust me - you can talk to someone 24h a day online but that's nothing comparing to knowing someone in person. ;)

Good that you make 125% at least you won't need a co-sponsor. If you don't have spare money on visa and AOS fees already then don't waste what you have on lawyer. 

Also be aware that once your fiance arrives to US and you'll get married, she will not be able to work for A while - not until you file for AOS and include work permit application. Her work permit might take up to 6 months to process and she can't work without that. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Like the others, I also highly recommend you save the thousands of USD in unnecessary attorney fees, and file the paperwork yourself. We did! There are plenty of easy to understand instructions and form samples on this forum. Plus there are thousands of members here who have gone through the process, or are about to, that can answer questions as they come  up.

Timeline

ggracias.  ill look into doing it myself.. in just really afraid if messing up and blowing our chances...  im only 23.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am wondering what they will say about the communication...…  My fiancée does not speak English and I speak very little Portuguese... We have been together twice and we know the basics, but I figured once she comes here and we are living together, the English will improve dramatically.....  We understand the basic daily messages, but we definitely do not know each others languages. We use translator apps mostly. :(

1 hour ago, Russel1995 said:

ggracias.  ill look into doing it myself.. in just really afraid if messing up and blowing our chances...  im only 23.

Hi there I was only 24 when I started my visa journey and with the folks here in this forum and the guides I was able to immigrate. I never used a lawyer. Just come back to this site for questions and very knowledgeable people will help you through the process. BTW you two look very cute together. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa do I Need, from NVC - The OP has not started the process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
3 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Hi there I was only 24 when I started my visa journey and with the folks here in this forum and the guides I was able to immigrate. I never used a lawyer. Just come back to this site for questions and very knowledgeable people will help you through the process. BTW you two look very cute together. 

thank you.   Im going to looking this site alot more and hope i can do this by myself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.