rrobin0609

K1 Filers: How long did you wait before getting engaged? How long did you wait before filing?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Met online September 2016 

I went to meet him November 2016 (I know, right?)

Filed paperwork February 2017

Went for a second visit March 2017 and he formally proposed

Visa granted September 2017

Arrival/Wedding October 2017

It was a crazy whirl-wind and I wouldn't exchange it for the world! :wub:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
6 hours ago, Little_Vixen said:

Its always interesting to see when people start calling it a 'relationship'. I felt like I was in a relationship since the end of 2016, but I hadn't actually met him. I kept telling myself that you can't call it a relationship if you haven't met face to face. You need that last confirmation that what you feel is real and the chemistry is there (and boy did we have chemistry :wub:).

I think the meeting in person is a super important step.

For me it didn't feel real until I had the ring and I don't know why that is.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Met in person as friends in 2013 and became good friends here in the US.

Started dating 2015 and then he moved back to Australia 

Engaged October 2016  and filed for K1 visa

Married June 2017 and he moved back to the US

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Met: 2008

Engaged: 2016

Filed: 2016 (one month later)

April 22, 2020 - I-751 sent

April 23, 2020 - I-751 received at Lockbox 

April 29, 2020 - Check cashed
??? - didn’t receive text or email confirmation. Ugh!

1) how long before you became engaged?

I met my husband online in a videogame in 2007, we got engaged in Nov 2012.

2) how long after your engagement did you file the I-129F petition/receive your NOA1?

We started the K1 visa on Sept 23 2013, received NOA1 Sept 27 2013.

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Met anonymously on a forum April 2016 & started privately messaging each other.

Can't remember when we decided to be together, but it was very early on. We fell in love with each other's minds.

First spoke the end of May 2016.

Met in person December 2016.

Knew the only viable way for us to be together was the K1.

Had 4 visits before we committed to filing (my son needed to spend time in the US for us to know if it could work).

Filed August 2017.

Embassy interview next week.

The biggest step for me was when we first spoke on the phone. I loved his voice and I still get butterflies every time we talk. 

Meeting at the airport for the first time was scary then a relief because the chemistry was right. (We had an exit plan for if it didn't feel right, I want to add.)

I don't actually want to be married but it's the only way we can be together, so the engagement part isn't a big deal to me. 

Glad to see we're not the only crazy people that meet up with people they know from online. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Met 2003 while I was visiting family. We were still young and only saw each other as friends. Kept in touch for a couple of years then lost contact. Reconnected online in Nov 2009. Started dating Dec 2009. Saw him in person for a couple of weeks July 2010. He asked my parents' blessing to date with the intention of marriage, our cultures version of an engagement. Kept a LDR going while we both finished undergrad and graduate degrees. Visited him Sept 2014 for a month and again Oct 2017 for two weeks. Filed the K1 Nov 2017 and still waiting on NOA2.

In total knew each other since 2003

Dating since Dec 2009

Engaged July 2010

Filed Nov 2017

So no one can say we rushed it haha 

Met online in Second Life October 2012 (he was married at the time and we were just friends for years)

Fast forward to 2015 (his wife divorced him to be with her second life lover)

He dated in RL off and on until end of September 2016 when he was telling me of another failed date where the girl told him he was a bad kisser. He told me he was done no more dating and was never ever ever getting married again. lol I told him that yeah I was gonna be the crazy cat lady. I had just broken it off after a four year relationship.

October 2016 we started talking on skype because we both needed a friend

November 2016 we entertain the idea of meeting in person and decided for me to drive to Rapid City, SD and he drive up. That was about halfway for us both. lol 

December 3-5th we spend the weekend together in Rapid City, SD I knew I was head over heels for him. He makes plans to visit me in February 2017.

My Mum told me he wasn't allowed to come unless I saw him one more time as she felt we were moving too fast. 

End of January 2017 I fly to Denver and stay with him for 4 days. On the third day we go to Garden of the Gods and he asks me to marry him.

February 2017 he flies to Canada to meet my family. My Mum loves him and cries about how life begans at 40 even though I was 38. My Mum got together with my wonderful stepdad when she was 40 and he was 50. Ironically I was 38 and Chris was 49 at the time got engaged. lol

March 2017 we filed for a k-1

August 2017 we got our NOA2

October 2017 approved and two weeks later I moved to the USA

December 2017 married

end of December 2017 filed for AOS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First contact, online message board private message Nov 19th 2014
First real live actual in the flesh meeting, Scotland May 9th 2015
Several visits later
Engaged Feb 27th 2018
Filed end of Apr 2018
First notification May 2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.