EmmNM

How did you meet?

71 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My fiance and I met online. We met in a chat room where we video chatted. I know the counselor officer is probably going to ask how we met and to give details. I’m concerned that they will scrutinize this and wonder why my fiance was there in the first place.

I know many of you probably met online. How did you answer this question? I don’t want them to think he was hunting for girls online like some Moroccan men seem to do. I know Casablanca is a hard embassy to get approved through.

Did anyone else meet in a chat room? If so which one and when?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We met on facebook. Member of the same facebook fan page and became friends. then more.

regardless of how you met, you need to be honest and if theres any question about it being an IMBRA site, provide documentation (if you havent submitted already) that its not. Overkill to send Facebooks TOS ( but I sent it regrdless, cause with my luck, id get the ne person who didnt know what facebook WAS) lololol

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We met playing a video game. Now days they aren't surprised ppl meet online. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

5 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

We also met playing a video game. Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox 360. lol :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

We met on EHarmony........that's how we explained it......

You have a point.  Quality evidence is extremely important for some consulates.  Front loading with plenty of face time help.....good luck..

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

10 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

We met on facebook. Member of the same facebook fan page and became friends. then more.

regardless of how you met, you need to be honest and if theres any question about it being an IMBRA site, provide documentation (if you havent submitted already) that its not. Overkill to send Facebooks TOS ( but I sent it regrdless, cause with my luck, id get the ne person who didnt know what facebook WAS) lololol

It was just some random video chatting website. I was just worried because some people go there for unsavory things. Of course that wasn't our intention. 

4 minutes ago, missileman said:

We met on EHarmony........that's how we explained it......

You have a point.  Quality evidence is extremely important for some consulates.  Front loading with plenty of face time help.....good luck..

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

7 minutes ago, Vicki Corpse said:

We also met playing a video game. Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox 360. lol :D

That's awesome.

We met on a site call date in asia. I hope they don't think bad about this site during are interview.

event.png        event.png

Spoiler

K-1 Visa

06/19/2017:  Met online on a dating site (Date in Asia)

11/10/2017:  Met in person 1st time (traveled to Philippines: 11/8/2017 - 11/20/2017)

01/29/2018:  I-129F petition sent to the USCIS Dallas lockbox via USPS

01/31/2018:  I-129F petition delivered and signed by USCIS

02/06/2018:  Check was cashed ($535); Received acceptance confirmation email and text from USCIS; Case being transferred to CSC

02/08/2018:  NOA1 hard copy received via USPS (NOA1 received date: 01/31/2018; NOA1 notice date: 02/05/2018)

08/09/2018:  I-129F petition approved (total wait time: 190 days from received date and 185 days from notice date) 

08/13/2018:  NOA2 hard copy received via USPS

08/22/2018:  NVC received I-129F petition

08/23/2018:  NVC assigned case number

09/03/2018:  Medical exam at SLEC (Day 1)

09/04/2018:  Medical exam at SLEC (Day 2)

09/04/2018:  NVC sent I-129F petition to embassy

09/05/2018:  Embassy received I-129F petition

09/23/2018:  Met in person 2nd time (traveled to Philippines: 09/21/2018 - 10/07/2018)

09/24/2018:  Interview - Approved! (Interview took 236 days from received date and 231 days from notice date)

09/25/2018:  Attended the CFO - GCP session

09/28/2018:  Visa packet in hand (picked up at Robinson's Mall in Bacolod, Philippines)

10/03/2018:  Flew from BCD to MNL and back to get CFO - GCP sticker

10/06/2018:  POE at JFK airport in New York

10/22/2018:  Received marriage license application (applied on 10/17/2018)

11/07/2018:  Received SSN card (applied on 10/24/2018)

11/10/2018:  Married to my Honeybun!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/2018:  Packet sent to the USCIS Chicago lockbox via USPS

11/29/2018:  Packet delivered and signed by USCIS

12/05/2018:  Check was cashed ($1225); Received three acceptance confirmation texts (one for each form) from the USCIS

12/11/2018:  NOA1 hard copies received (one for each form) via USPS (NOA1 received date: 11/29/2018; NOA1 notice date: 12/03/2018)

12/13/2018:  Biometrics (ASC) appointment notice hard copy received via USPS (notice date: 12/07/2018)

12/26/2018:  Biometrics (ASC) appointment at 9:00am at the USCIS Application Support Center in Charleston, SC

01/02/2019:  AOS case status update:  Ready to schedule interview

01/09/2019:  AOS case status update:  Interview scheduled

01/12/2019:  Interview appointment notice hard copy received via USPS (notice date: 01/09/2019)

02/19/2019:  Interview for AOS:  I-485 - Approved

02/25/2019:  Green card received in mail

ROC

01/02/2019 *State ID card - Applied and received temporary paper ID....waiting on real physical card ID.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Plenty of Moroccan/American couples have meet in chat rooms/Facebook/online in general and do go on to be approved. The best way to increase your chances of approval though the Casablanca consulate is to spend a lot of time in person together. It's not recommended to file the K1 petition, or to get married after/during your very first visit. The CO will focus on the time you have spent together, and how will your fiance can talk about your relationship. Some red flags include a large age difference, as well as the petitioner having been divorced multiple times in the past. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Met through facebook. It was a random friend request. Her sister had a mutual friend of mine on Facebook. She messaged me wanting to practice english and we talked as friends for the first few months.  I too often worry if this will be a red flag because of the randomness of it. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

We met online also. I had a blog and column at the time, and he came across it all the way in Sweden. He commented on a couple of posts and we took it to email, and it just naturally progressed. I don't think it's uncommon these days for people to have met online, especially long distance couples. I believe my husband just simply stated we met online, whenever the question came up. It's not a big issue. :) 

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

8 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Plenty of Moroccan/American couples have meet in chat rooms/Facebook/online in general and do go on to be approved. The best way to increase your chances of approval though the Casablanca consulate is to spend a lot of time in person together. It's not recommended to file the K1 petition, or to get married after/during your very first visit. The CO will focus on the time you have spent together, and how will your fiance can talk about your relationship. Some red flags include a large age difference, as well as the petitioner having been divorced multiple times in the past. 

We have two visits. I'm thinking of doing a third. I'm 11 years older and been divorced twice. I know it doesn't look good. We do have both our families support though. 

3 minutes ago, JayHouser said:

Met through facebook. It was a random friend request. Her sister had a mutual friend of mine on Facebook. She messaged me wanting to practice english and we talked as friends for the first few months.  I too often worry if this will be a red flag because of the randomness of it. 

At least you had a mutual friend. I'm worried it will look like he was hunting for girls online. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

We met online also. I had a blog and column at the time, and he came across it all the way in Sweden. He commented on a couple of posts and we took it to email, and it just naturally progressed. I don't think it's uncommon these days for people to have met online, especially long distance couples. I believe my husband just simply stated we met online, whenever the question came up. It's not a big issue. :) 

That's really sweet. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 minutes ago, EmmNM said:

We have two visits. I'm thinking of doing a third. I'm 11 years older and been divorced twice. I know it doesn't look good. We do have both our families support though. 

Would you consider marriage in Morocco and then going the CR1 spousal visa route? The approval rate for CR1 visas is slightly higher, and also you have the chance to reaffirm the petition and interview again if denied the first time. The CR1 visa is the better visa anyway, as it will allow him to work and travel right away after he arrives in the US, unlike the K1 visa.

Ultimately it's up to you and your fiance, but I've seen a lot of K1 cases denied in Casablanca in the past year, even cases with minor red flags, who have done pretty much everything right.

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

2 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Would you consider marriage in Morocco and then going the CR1 spousal visa route? The approval rate for CR1 visas is slightly higher, and also you have the chance to reaffirm the petition and interview again if denied the first time. The CR1 visa is the better visa anyway, as it will allow him to work and travel right away after he arrives in the US, unlike the K1 visa.

Ultimately it's up to you and your fiance, but I've seen a lot of K1 cases denied in Casablanca in the past year, even cases with minor red flags, who have done pretty much everything right.

We already sent in the K-1. Now what?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.