mmmarva

Chance of approval despite age gap

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone, this just an inquiry as to approval for a spousal visa. My husband and I are over ten years apart. We met and became friends through a church setting where we later communicated through phone calls etc. We've met three times before our registry wedding in Nigeria . His mother and brother attended the registry wedding followed by a beautiful reception two days later of which his other siblings attended. I have met with his parents and his siblings on many occasions besides the wedding and the reception  in August 2017. I was in Lagos last week to visit my husband and family also. So in total we have met five times. I am a December, 2017 filer but is curious based on information I have read about Nigeria being amongst the high fraud countries. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 minutes ago, mmmarva said:

Hello everyone, this just an inquiry as to approval for a spousal visa. My husband and I are over ten years apart. We met and became friends through a church setting where we later communicated through phone calls etc. We've met three times before our registry wedding in Nigeria . His mother and brother attended the registry wedding followed by a beautiful reception two days later of which his other siblings attended. I have met with his parents and his siblings on many occasions besides the wedding and the reception  in August 2017. I was in Lagos last week to visit my husband and family also. So in total we have met five times. I am a December, 2017 filer but is curious based on information I have read about Nigeria being amongst the high fraud countries. 

Although you shouldn't be too worried, do make it a point to carefully have receipts of the wedding, photos, chat logs, and visits before and after marriage. Make sure your spouse does visit a few times after being married and you take a lot of photos and boarding passes too. Good Luck! :) 

My timeline

ROC

6-08-20 I-751 Package sent

6-09-20 I-751 Package received 

06-15-20 Received text with receipt number (MSC-XXX)

06-16-20 Check cashed 

07-09-20 Called USCIS to enquire about NOA-1. Was told it was sent on 07-01-20.

07-11-20 Received 18-month extension letter NOA dated 06-30-20

05-03-20 Received Biometric Appointment scheduled for May24th (NY/NJ area)

CR-1

6-16-17 I-130 sent 

6-20-17 received NOA 1 Texas Service Center

1-24-18 NOA 2 approved 

2-23-18 NVC Received my case

3-30-18 Case Number Assigned

4-3-18 Welcome Letter email from NVC

4-4-18 Paid AOS and IV Fees 

4-10-18 Sent AOS package and Civil Documents 

4-11-18 NVC Processed all fees and Completed D260 form 

4-12-18 NVC Received packet 

4-13-18 NVC Scanned all documents

4-25-18 Case Complete at NVC ("At NVC")

4-26-18 Interview Scheduled (I called to find out

4-28-18 Received P4 from NVC

6-15-18 Interview Date! 

221G given on interview

6-26-18 Issued (Finally!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You guys have met plenty of times, and have married. It seems like you guys can prove the marriage is genuine. As stated before copy boarding passes, but definitely include the receipts for your flights. Not all airlines include the full date (month, day, and year) on the boarding pass. Pictures of your ceremony along with the family members that attended. Also include plenty of pictures of you guys out doing other things. My friend, I know they say that Nigeria is a high fraud country, but if you have proof of your relationship, trust me you'll be fine.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, mmmarva said:

Your best evidence of a genuine relationship is the evidence of time spent together in person.  As for the age gap, what is "more than ten" and who is older?  To estimate the impact of an age difference we would need to know that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
33 minutes ago, mmmarva said:

He is 15 years younger than I am.  Thanks for replying 

OK.  Depending on how many visits totaling how much time, you have been together in person, that's probably not going to be an issue.  If you'll Google these exact words, "Are Older Women Marrying Younger Men Discriminated Against"  you'll see a link to a pretty good explanation of the issue

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, mmmarva said:

He is 15 years younger than I am.  Thanks for replying 

Well this is an issue not necessarily because they would think you entered into a sham marriage but because they may suspect he is using you to get a green card (you are the US citizen right?). Meeting 5x is solid, assuming you can prove they were meaningful encounters each time. But I think they will scrutinize him extra carefully, and there are probably some things they look for when they think one spouse is conning the other one. I guess one thing is looking at emails/texts that discuss intimate things (I don't mean x-rated, I mean discussing kids/finances/lifestyle/future life together etc) to see a genuine loving relationship. 

I don't mean to insinuate that is what is happening and I don't want to disrespect you or your marriage but that is the presumption you will have to overcome and I figure its easier for you to hear now than at the interview. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Teemo said:

Well this is an issue not necessarily because they would think you entered into a sham marriage but because they may suspect he is using you to get a green card (you are the US citizen right?). Meeting 5x is solid, assuming you can prove they were meaningful encounters each time. But I think they will scrutinize him extra carefully, and there are probably some things they look for when they think one spouse is conning the other one. I guess one thing is looking at emails/texts that discuss intimate things (I don't mean x-rated, I mean discussing kids/finances/lifestyle/future life together etc) to see a genuine loving relationship. 

I don't mean to insinuate that is what is happening and I don't want to disrespect you or your marriage but that is the presumption you will have to overcome and I figure its easier for you to hear now than at the interview. 

Good points.  "Love" is really not the issue, but you've described what they are looking for in a bona fide relationship.  Not all bona fide marriages are between people who are "in love".  That's why it is not the issue here.  Making a life together is the issue.  That can be somewhat objectively measured, while love really cannot be.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I know their duty is to protect US citizens and they are train in that aspect , to see things  one would likely to overlooked in a relationship . Nevertheless, we will provide all the necessary information and proof . The age difference is not obvious, we look very close in age and I am sure they will see that I aged very well . Thanks for your feedback. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, mmmarva said:

I know their duty is to protect US citizens and they are train in that aspect , to see things  one would likely to overlooked in a relationship . Nevertheless, we will provide all the necessary information and proof . The age difference is not obvious, we look very close in age and I am sure they will see that I aged very well . Thanks for your feedback. 

They aren't protecting YOU, personally.  The issue is enforcing the law.  Immigration law is written so that spouse visas are for bona fide marriages, not fraudulent ones.  Realistically, the best you can do is the best you can do.  Whether it will be "enough" is a judgment call THEY will make.  It's not about "required".  It's about believing the relationship is bona fide.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
18 hours ago, mmmarva said:

10 years only? If they question you about that, maybe hint to them that there is precedence for much bigger differences -- such as Donald J. Trump and his wife, Melania Trump. He is 24 years older than her.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.