mmmarva

Chance of approval despite age gap

49 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for your responses. The evidence will speak for itself. I don't need a lawyer or a company offering services to do the same thing I can do. Good luck to everyone here waiting for approval. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

15 years is not bad at all...my husband is Nigerian but we are close in age. He said Nigerians marry older a lot so its very common but they may question about having kids because Nigerian culture is big on having children and carrying on their name but the co may never ask that question as long as the marriage can be proven to be real then all will be ok

2 hours ago, BlessedAssurance said:

10 years only? If they question you about that, maybe hint to them that there is precedence for much bigger differences -- such as Donald J. Trump and his wife, Melania Trump. He is 24 years older than her.

I think that may be perceived as hostile or unacceptable behavior by the CO, not sure that is necessarily good advice regardless of how you personally feel about the situation

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, BlessedAssurance said:

10 years only? If they question you about that, maybe hint to them that there is precedence for much bigger differences -- such as Donald J. Trump and his wife, Melania Trump. He is 24 years older than her.

Yes but it is less common for the wife to be 15 years older than the husband. They won't "question" her about the age difference, but they may suspect the younger man is seeking to get something from the older woman and scrutinize his motives and behavior more closely. 

Edited by Teemo

Timeline
1 hour ago, Abdeslam said:

Macron is married to a women 2x his age , so no I dont think it will cause an issue

Lol. Yup and the tabloids/memes had a field day. Because it is uncommon for a man to marry a much older woman. No one says it never happens. But it is reason to look closer.  And the people here saying they are older than their wives/fiancees - yes it is much more common for husband to be older than his wife than wife to be significantly older than husband. That's just a fact not a judgement. 

Filed: Timeline

Sorry to go off topic, but found this interesting.

Age difference in heterosexual married couples, 2013 US Current Population Survey[1]
Age difference Percentage of all married couples
Husband 20+ years older than wife

Husband 15–19 years older than wife

Husband 10–14 years older than wife

Husband 6–9 years older than wife

Husband 4–5 years older than wife

Husband 2–3 years older than wife

Husband and wife within 1 year

Wife 2–3 years older than husband

Wife 4–5 years older than husband

Wife 6–9 years older than husband

Wife 10–14 years older than husband

Wife 15–19 years older than husband

Wife 20+ years older than husband

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

Sorry to go off topic, but found this interesting.

Age difference in heterosexual married couples, 2013 US Current Population Survey[1]
Age difference Percentage of all married couples
Husband 20+ years older than wife

Husband 15–19 years older than wife

Husband 10–14 years older than wife

Husband 6–9 years older than wife

Husband 4–5 years older than wife

Husband 2–3 years older than wife

Husband and wife within 1 year

Wife 2–3 years older than husband

Wife 4–5 years older than husband

Wife 6–9 years older than husband

Wife 10–14 years older than husband

Wife 15–19 years older than husband

Wife 20+ years older than husband

Interesting. I also found this:

"The average age difference (for a heterosexual couple) is 2.3 years, with the man older than the woman. In 64 percent of heterosexual couples, the man is older. In 23 percent, the woman is older, and in the remaining 13 percent, the partners are less than 12 months apart in age."

chalabi-datalab-age.png?w=575

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Teemo said:

Interesting. I also found this:

"The average age difference (for a heterosexual couple) is 2.3 years, with the man older than the woman. In 64 percent of heterosexual couples, the man is older. In 23 percent, the woman is older, and in the remaining 13 percent, the partners are less than 12 months apart in age."

chalabi-datalab-age.png?w=575

Based on this, anything outside the range of "Wife 3 years older than husband" to "husband 5 years older than wife" can be classified as "uncommon" and therefore it makes sense why USCIS would scrutinize that. Plus OP is from high fraud country, and wife being 15 years older than husband is in the 1% occurrence rate, so it's easy to see why it would be closely scrutinized. 

Btw I am 7 years older than my wife. So according to this that's somewhat uncommon but we have a lot of other things in common and I'm Canadian so looking at everything together I don't expect us to be overly scrutinized.

My husband is 32 years older than me, we married in my country 2014, we filled same year and I came to the US in Angust 2015, We had a rough interview but I knew it was going to be like that, my husband was more confident. The interview was really long they saw all the evidences, the officer focused more in the pictures, questions and corporal languag, we were approved, so funny because everybody was clapping their hands lol, I have been here for almost 3 years we have a beautiful daughter and are expecting our second.

It is normal for the beneficiary to be scrutinized when there is an age gap but as soon as it is a genuine relationship and u have the proof you will be fine.

Good luck, I wish u and ur husband a beautiful long marriage together. 

my wife is from a country where age differences is more common but for Older men and younger women, I have seen gaps as high as 40 years that were approved, but again that is more common from there, in our case there is a 26 yo gap, so far it's worked. Good luck to the OP

23 hours ago, mmmarva said:

Hello everyone, this just an inquiry as to approval for a spousal visa. My husband and I are over ten years apart. We met and became friends through a church setting where we later communicated through phone calls etc. We've met three times before our registry wedding in Nigeria . His mother and brother attended the registry wedding followed by a beautiful reception two days later of which his other siblings attended. I have met with his parents and his siblings on many occasions besides the wedding and the reception  in August 2017. I was in Lagos last week to visit my husband and family also. So in total we have met five times. I am a December, 2017 filer but is curious based on information I have read about Nigeria being amongst the high fraud countries. 

Which one of you is 10 years older?

17 hours ago, mmmarva said:

He is 15 years younger than I am.  Thanks for replying 

Are you still of child bearing age?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.