30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 4/18/2018 at 9:24 PM, rocknfreak said:

We called the USCIS and talked to a Tier 2 Officer.

She told us that we just need the I-693 part with the vaccinations. 

So yes you are right, no medical exam. And yes.. sadly it is up to the individual IO. Because everyone tells you other things. 

May I know if you submitted the i-693 with vaccination copy at the interview?  I submitted my original DS3025 vaccination document along with my i485.  All I have is copy left.  I am wondering what should I do if I receive the same notice as you did.  Hope your GC has come through by now.  Thanks for your attention in advance. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Damn all these misinformations in the entire forum! I ended up booking a medical in half an hour, and I was a K1 with a prior medical, now preparing for my AOS interview.

So now I am hearing I don't need it after all?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/26/2018 at 6:45 AM, moosy said:

Damn all these misinformations in the entire forum! I ended up booking a medical in half an hour, and I was a K1 with a prior medical, now preparing for my AOS interview.

So now I am hearing I don't need it after all?

Please do let me know if you find out any info!

I had my medical in January 2018 and my interview is October 2018, so I am under the impression that I don’t need to have another medical done, since it’s within the year mark! Fingers crossed, as I just found out about my interview and have very little time to have another medical done!

Thanks!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jules_N said:

Please do let me know if you find out any info!

I had my medical in January 2018 and my interview is October 2018, so I am under the impression that I don’t need to have another medical done, since it’s within the year mark! Fingers crossed, as I just found out about my interview and have very little time to have another medical done!

Thanks!!!

Hey

I checked with a befriended immigration lawyer, and she says that she usually advises anyone who truly needs the greencard at that moment, to just get one done. She said it depends on the officer in front of you, whether or not he knows the exact rules, and even if he does, he can still ask for a new medical.

I am taking the risk: I checked in with the medical appointment and they mentioned a price around 500 dollars. It is not reimbursed by insurance. I cannot waste 500 dollars on the offchance that I might need it. So I am taking the risk. I do have a copy of my former medical (not just the vaccination record; the nurse gave me a copy of everything "because as a patient you have the right to know what the doctor wrote"; ok then lol). I do not have any of the class A medical things (cf TB etc), so I am hoping that the officer in question will not ask for one.

If they do, it just takes a bit longer to get the medical done.

If the interview is soon, you could get an appointment for a medical a few days after the interview, and if you don't need it, you can cancel up front. If you do need it, you will have the medical report very fast.

Anyway, I would normally pay for that bit of certainty, but once I heard the price, I realized I could not gamble away 500 dollars. 🎲

Edit: in your case where your medical and your interview are THAT close, I am sure you will not have a problem.

In my case, my medical is from June 2017, and I have my interview October 2018. I asked for AOS in September 2017, so that part was within the year. The interview is clearly not. Lucky you, that you got a K1 greencard interview that fast!

Edited by moosy

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, GWANG said:

May I know if you submitted the i-693 with vaccination copy at the interview?  I submitted my original DS3025 vaccination document along with my i485.  All I have is copy left.  I am wondering what should I do if I receive the same notice as you did.  Hope your GC has come through by now.  Thanks for your attention in advance. 

Hey! Did you ever find out about this? I also have the DS3025, so I am wondering if this is fine or if I should try and get a i-693 (vaccination pages) filled out?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi there,

I took a medical exam a month before my interview because the old one was expired already.  It depends on whether you need to do a new exam or not.  On the new exam report, your doctor should help you fill out the vaccination record.  Hope this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is all so confusing. I called USCIS and now I'm even more confused. They said the medical examination I got overseas when applied for a K1 visa is only valid for a year. I got my medical examination on May 23rd, 2017 and I applied for AOS on October 24th, 2017. I recently got my interview appointment for April 16th so I only had 30 days to get all the paperwork needed for the interview. I scheduled a medical exam just in case but I'm still unsure whether I have to get it done or not. I only have my vaccination records and chest X-rays from the last medical exam as everyone else since the results of the medical exam overseas must be given in a sealed envelope to an IO when going through customs after landing to the states in order to be admitted to the country. What are your thoughts? My interview is in 18 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is all so confusing. I read the instructions for i-693 and it states on page 7: C.You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:(1)You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination. I called USCIS and they said the medical examination I got overseas when applied for a K1 visa is only valid for a year. I got my medical examination on May 23rd, 2017 and I applied for AOS on October 24th, 2017. I recently got my interview appointment for April 16th giving me only 30 days to get all the paperwork needed for the interview. I scheduled a medical exam just in case but I'm still unsure whether I have to get it done or not. I only have my vaccination records and chest X-rays from the last medical exam since the results of the medical exam overseas was given in a sealed envelope to an IO when going through customs after landing to the states in order to be admitted to the country (July 19th, 2017). What are your thoughts? My interview is in 18 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
19 hours ago, Laura Hartman said:

This is all so confusing. I read the instructions for i-693 and it states on page 7: C.You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:(1)You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination. I called USCIS and they said the medical examination I got overseas when applied for a K1 visa is only valid for a year. I got my medical examination on May 23rd, 2017 and I applied for AOS on October 24th, 2017. I recently got my interview appointment for April 16th giving me only 30 days to get all the paperwork needed for the interview. I scheduled a medical exam just in case but I'm still unsure whether I have to get it done or not. I only have my vaccination records and chest X-rays from the last medical exam since the results of the medical exam overseas was given in a sealed envelope to an IO when going through customs after landing to the states in order to be admitted to the country (July 19th, 2017). What are your thoughts? My interview is in 18 days.

There's a lot of topics about this question that are very recent. You can type the question in the search bar (top right corner) to find them

To answer your question, no you don't need a new medical if you meet 2 requirements.

1) Your DS-3025 is marked complete 

2) You filed your AOS within 1 year from your medical

The USCIS representative was right when she said that the medical is only good for 1 year, but if you meet both criteria described above, you do NOT need to get a new medical done. USCIS states this them self (https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter3.html), so take a print of this page to your interview, in case the officer tries to RFE you.

Don't waste your money on a new medical, unless you don't meet the criteria.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:08 PM, rocknfreak said:

I wish that would be correct! But it is not true, the uscis changed the regulations on that. 

The new regulations say:

the medical exam is valid for one year, once you file i485. 

In in our case: we filed in April last year and our interview will be in May

Soooooo much misinformation in this thread.

No, the new regulations do not say: the medical exam is valid for one year once you file I485.

It said that the I693 was valid for one year as at the time, it was. Now the I693 is valid for two years as of Nov 1st, 2018 provided it is signed by a US CS within 60 days of submission to USCIS. 

BUT K1s dont get an I693 form completed at the overseas medical AT ALL. They get a DS302X series of forms completed. 

The I693 form and it's rules have NOTHING to do with a K1's AOS process provided they have met all of the conditions of the overseas medical. The only time any K1 would have to comply with anything to do with an I693 would be because they did not fulfill the conditions at their overseas medical exam or USCIS lost their medical exam or their Interviewing Officer just doesn't know the policy and/or is too ignorant to allow the intending AOS'er to show them the policy.

Bad, scary misinformation on this thread 😣

33 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Soooooo much misinformation in this thread.

No, the new regulations do not say: the medical exam is valid for one year once you file I485.

It said that the I693 was valid for one year as at the time, it was. Now the I693 is valid for two years as of Nov 1st, 2018 provided it is signed by a US CS within 60 days of submission to USCIS. 

BUT K1s dont get an I693 form completed at the overseas medical AT ALL. They get a DS302X series of forms completed. 

The I693 form and it's rules have NOTHING to do with a K1's AOS process provided they have met all of the conditions of the overseas medical. The only time any K1 would have to comply with anything to do with an I693 would be because they did not fulfill the conditions at their overseas medical exam or USCIS lost their medical exam or their Interviewing Officer just doesn't know the policy and/or is too ignorant to allow the intending AOS'er to show them the policy.

Bad, scary misinformation on this thread 😣

Well you can say it is wrong information. But that is what we were told by the USCIS from tier 2 officers over the phone. Twice - from two separate officers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A lot of information! I'm a little scared now lol, and have to post this to make sure I got it right.

I had my medical done back at my home country in July 2018. I moved over to the States in September 2018, and filed the I-485 on October 2018. I'm finally having my interview in 10 days (May 6th, 2019) and now I just want to be sure that I don't need a new medical, since everything has been inside one year? I should be fine I think, but just had to ask and give myself some peace of mind. I'm going crazy because I'm so nervous..

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, FinnishSonja said:

Hi guys,

A lot of information! I'm a little scared now lol, and have to post this to make sure I got it right.

I had my medical done back at my home country in July 2018. I moved over to the States in September 2018, and filed the I-485 on October 2018. I'm finally having my interview in 10 days (May 6th, 2019) and now I just want to be sure that I don't need a new medical, since everything has been inside one year? I should be fine I think, but just had to ask and give myself some peace of mind. I'm going crazy because I'm so nervous..

Thanks in advance!

Please update us on this (if you don’t mind).

On 4/15/2018 at 12:12 AM, rocknfreak said:

Hi Y'all,

we just received our interview appointment today! May 17th! But there is a big to do list for the upcoming interview...

It says the following on the notice:

... failure to bring the below listed items will result in the denial of your application.

YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:

- A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted).

Well the question is, how do we make sure that they received our medical exam and the vaccination supplement?

I had my medical exam due the process of the K1 Visa at the end of October 2016. (The doctor never gave me any copies, so I don't have the DS3025)

I entried the United States on 03/312017.

We filed our I-485 application on 04/10/2017.

We never sent the I-693 or DS3025(again, I never had those documents) with our I-485 because we were thinking they have the medical exam through the POE. (I had to carry a sealed envelope and give that envelope to the Immigration Office at the POE)

So again, we do not want to fail or let our AOS be denied because of the medical exam... We never received a RFE because of our medical, which could be expired? Honestly - I don't know if it is expired. Some threads are saying that it is valid for one year once you file for AOS. Which means it would be valid to 04/10/2018. But our interview is on 05/17/2018 :( But some threats say that they are doing exeptions, depending on the officer during the interview. 

What should we do? I am really confused and couldn't find THE RIGHT ANSWER through a search on here...

Thank you!

Please update us on what they said during your interview.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Our appointment for AOS from K1 visa was yesterday, so frustrated in the outcome though. Everything went well until the medical part. Question was did we have a medical done recently because the original has expired. Entry was 3/18 and filed in Decmeber 2018. Medical did not expire until February 2019. So we were well within that one year time limit. I questioned this before I filed our AOS package. I was told and by the research I did including the policy manual that states for K type visa.

4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or 

• The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] 

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28] 

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician. 

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).

If the applicant was granted a change of status to V in the United States, [29] the medical examination report completed by the civil surgeon should be in the A-file created at the time that the change of status was initially granted. 

So the officer tells us that he will look into it further because he is unaware of this policy and never heard of this and we will get a letter for further instructions in about a week. I am guessing a RFE and we will have to go to the Civil Surgeon and retake the medical. I don't put a lot of faith in them actually investigating that they made a mistake. I didn't have a copy of the policy manual but wished I did but don't know if it would have done any good. 

Now how much longer been chasing this for way to long.........Delay on top of delay and now delayed again....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.