TERRIFIED BY FORMER LANDLORD

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Exactly

OP has mentioned no issues

Disagree.

OP s wife is here illegally; Overstayed Visa and must either leave or be deported.  

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Disagree.

OP s wife is here illegally; Overstayed Visa and must either leave or be deported.  

Or adjust to becoming a Permanent Resident.

Sounds like this is their chosen path.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

Disagree.

No.  That isn't how current law works.  Current law allows her to legally adjust status.....We might not like the law, but it IS the law currently.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 hours ago, Dawn young said:

My wife has never been in removal proceedings or illegally entered the country. This is all my fault... I moved to Mexico to be with her but with my two young daughters and the criminal and homophobic environment we just couldn't handle it. She applied for a tourist visa to help me move back to usa and would only have stayed with me for a month or so and not overstayed, but I love her and begged her to stay. 

It's a very normal and human thing to apply common logic to any problem.

Here you have excellent reasons for not doing something.  You have no money.  You desire to help your wife and protect her from a criminal environment.  All these make sense to you, your family and your friends.

Unfortunately "common" logic has zero effect an any government agency.  Any government agency, be it the IRS, ICE, USCIS and other any other agency  only apply legal logic, they never apply common logic.  This is a very, very difficult concept for many to grasp.  But if you do not grasp it it will hurt you badly.

Say these words to the IRS: "I could not pay my taxes, I had no money because (enter many valid reasons here)" instantly translates into: "I decided to steal from the IRS and so I spent money that should have gone to you."  

USCIS, Homeland Security, any Court, be it Small Claims or Superior Court, the IRS and any other agency never responds to common logic.

Therefore, I strongly suggest that you discard any "common" logic from your thought process here even though that may be very difficult.

I will second other poster's ideas of trying to find an immigrant supportive or pro bono (for free) legal service and somehow come up with the funds to file.

As for the landlord:  I'm a landlord and have a fair amount of experience here.  A landlord cannot legally, for instance, demand payment and if not, turn you in to ICE for it comes close to blackmail.  But here's the catch--if the landlord did so it would be very unlikely you would ever be able to use legal methods to fight back for it would be a very difficult case and no lawyer would take it.  Therefore, you are, by definition in "very dangerous waters."  Be very careful.  If possible remove all ways that the former landlord can contact you.  Change your phone number.  If you owe the landlord back rent, try to make peace, even if it means paying $10 a month.  It does not matter one bit as who is right.  The landlord may have be pure evil, but if so, that's common logic, and will not work here because here the Landlord may have the "upper hand."  If you can, "disappear," for it is less likely that the landlord will contact ICE if he/she does not know where you are.

I wish you luck.

Edited by Balamban

Timeline

OP is obtaining a loan and has been filling out the forms.

FYI

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

No one has mentioned two little kids who are in the mix here.

They were moved to Mexico and back, and out to who knows.

They are under financial stress, while the OP is preoccupied with the wife.

I know this is "Immigration" only here, but let us not forget we are human here.

Thank you 

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Derik-Lina said:

No one has mentioned two little kids who are in the mix here.

They were moved to Mexico and back, and out to who knows.

They are under financial stress, while the OP is preoccupied with the wife.

I know this is "Immigration" only here, but let us not forget we are human here.

Thank you 

Were you not the one who wanted one of the Step Parent to leave?

I am a landlord myself. There's more to the story. As long as a tenants take care of the place, pay rent on time, and not cuss at the landlord. Then landlord's leave tenants alone. Are you sure that text isn't... 'if you don't pay rent I am going to get ice involved?'

Not being Rude but the majority of all landlord/tenant disputes are from tenants being surprised the landlord wants to be paid as agreed on when the rent is due.

@Balamban I think you are wrong, a lawyer will probably take that case just pay them and they'll do what you instruct, attempt to sue knowing theirs a slim chance.

Edited by FernandLevi

Timeline
6 minutes ago, FernandLevi said:

I am a landlord myself. There's more to the story. As long as a tenants take care of the place, pay rent on time, and not cuss at the landlord. Then landlord's leave tenants alone. Are you sure that text isn't... 'if you don't pay rent I am going to get ice involved?'

Not being Rude but the majority of all landlord/tenant disputes are from tenants being surprised the landlord wants to be paid as agreed on when the rent is due.

I agree with your thoughts but the ICE thing is of course nonsense.

I understand it's nonsense for ice blackmail, but it's also nonsense for a landlord to evict a tenant for non payment or non compliance. 

I am having a non compliance issue now with a current tenant and pit bull dogs. They just keep bring them back on them property. I don't feel sorry for the dumbasss, family homeless over dogs. Not my problem.

At dawn, Are you up to date on your rent? That could be the souce of the problem right there and why the landlord is upset.

6 hours ago, missileman said:

I think the law should be changed to prohibit adjusting status from B2 visas.  I see no reason why a tourist should not have to return to his/her country to wait out the CR-1 process.  I think the current  law encourages people to lie and convert their "visitor" Visa into an immigrant visa, thereby circumventing the legal immigrant process.  I also think that the vast majority of those people who marry while here on a B2 and adjust actually enter the US with intent.

Having said that, the law currently allows people to enter without intent, marry, and then adjust.  I see no indication that the OP or spouse have violated that part of current immigration law.  The OP and her spouse can apply for AOS.

I think the law should be changed like in Canada where it's OK to enter with an intent to adjust status as long as you have police certificates and all other documents. The law right now is silly and kind of nonsensical. 

Edited by Orangesapples

Timeline
6 hours ago, Boiler said:

Were you not the one who wanted one of the Step Parent to leave?

They are both step parents?

You mean to say that the illegal parent is balancing the family? 

The one who the mother picked up and moved the kids to Mexico for?

Honest-Love-Respect

Timeline

I suppose a Step Parent could be said to balance the family and quite common for people to move around, especially in the US.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

I suppose a Step Parent could be said to balance the family and quite common for people to move around, especially in the US.

Agreed.

Honest-Love-Respect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.