traveler34

How can I show a traditional marriage is no longer valid

20 posts in this topic

I was married in Kenya by traditional means, which is recognized as legal in Kenya, but there was no state registration.  This marriage ended several years ago, by all reasonable measures, but as there was no record of the marriage, there is also no record of a divorce.  I have had a tourist visa to the US for many years, and recently married a US citizen, in the US.  Now I would like to apply for citizenship.  My conundrum is, my past visa application states (correctly) that I was married.  But I have no documentation to show that I am divorced.  It is highly unlikely that I could get a divorce decree in Kenya, for a variety of reasons (no record of marriage, ex spouse is out of the country and not cooperative, etc.).  I assume that USCIS would require proof of divorce before accepting that I am married to an US citizen.  In that case, what would USCIS accept as proof of divorce (i.e. of termination of a traditional marriage)?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, traveler34 said:

I was married in Kenya by traditional means, which is recognized as legal in Kenya, but there was no state registration.  This marriage ended several years ago, by all reasonable measures, but as there was no record of the marriage, there is also no record of a divorce.  I have had a tourist visa to the US for many years, and recently married a US citizen, in the US.  Now I would like to apply for citizenship.  My conundrum is, my past visa application states (correctly) that I was married.  But I have no documentation to show that I am divorced.  It is highly unlikely that I could get a divorce decree in Kenya, for a variety of reasons (no record of marriage, ex spouse is out of the country and not cooperative, etc.).  I assume that USCIS would require proof of divorce before accepting that I am married to an US citizen.  In that case, what would USCIS accept as proof of divorce (i.e. of termination of a traditional marriage)?

If your marriage was recent then you are a long ways away from citizenship

YMMV

You have o get a divorce decree. If the marriage was traditional it is still considered a valid marriage.

Without it you won’t be able to move forward with any immigrants on status through marriage.

Also, even if you are able to get the divorce decree and apply through your current marriage, you won’t get citizenship. That is not how it works. A person doesn’t just marry a US citizen then automatically become a citizen. It takes years and stages of filing and interviews before you become a citizen.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In places with traditional marriages there are traditional divorces.   In Eastern Nigerian it is a meeting of the families where the bride and all of the bride price are returned to where they came from. Almost a revered engagement  .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also, think this way, if you were still "traditionally" married, then married this US person, and now you go get the divorce decree or what ever it is. Your 'marriages' overlap. Meaning the US one technically but standards isn't legal, and actually a crime as in to be married to more than one person by US law.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Traditional in the Kenyan sense could mean one of two things; customary marriage where dowry was paid etc or come-we-stay.  It would help to know which category you belong to in order to give advise accordingly.

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

11/18/2014: NOA 1

12/11/2014: Biometric Appointment

01/16/2015: NOA 2

02/27/2015: Employment Authorization Card Received

02/27/2015: Interview

03/09/2015: Green Card Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Gambia
Timeline

Please do not attempt to get married now without first sorting out the previous married. A married is considered married as far as it is legal in that country even if it is traditional. Trust me they gonna have a copy of your ds 160 form on there computer during your aos interview. IO will ask you, your ds 160 started you're married and now you want to marry another guy. If you can't provide a divorce degree/certificate you might be charge with polygamy which is federal crime in USA. You are from Africa just ask somebody to get a divorce document for you. It is not difficult as you might think especially you from Africa if you know what I mean lol..

Thanks all for your thoughts.  To answer the question of @teshah, it was a customary marriage, with dowry (cows), although normal requirements to keep the marriage valid (replace cows that die) were not upheld, neither were other standards met, such as building a house on his family compound for us.

12 hours ago, teshah said:

Traditional in the Kenyan sense could mean one of two things; customary marriage where dowry was paid etc or come-we-stay.  It would help to know which category you belong to in order to give advise accordingly.

It was a customary marriage, with dowry (cows), although normal requirements to keep the marriage valid (replace cows that die) were not upheld, neither were other standards met, such as building a house on his family compound for us.

Timeline
10 hours ago, traveler34 said:

Thanks all for your thoughts.  To answer the question of @teshah, it was a customary marriage, with dowry (cows), although normal requirements to keep the marriage valid (replace cows that die) were not upheld, neither were other standards met, such as building a house on his family compound for us.

It was a customary marriage, with dowry (cows), although normal requirements to keep the marriage valid (replace cows that die) were not upheld, neither were other standards met, such as building a house on his family compound for us.

Was the dowry returned when you two parted ways?

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

1 hour ago, teshah said:

Was the dowry returned when you two parted ways?

No, but that was not possible.  There were cows paid as dowry.  The husband is supposed to replace those cows if they die.  They did die, many years ago, but he never replaced them.  (Some would say that invalidates the marriage.)  I suppose I could buy cows and give them to his family, but even if they accept them, that still doesn't produce what I need, which is documentation of the annulment of the marriage.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, traveler34 said:

No, but that was not possible.  There were cows paid as dowry.  The husband is supposed to replace those cows if they die.  They did die, many years ago, but he never replaced them.  (Some would say that invalidates the marriage.)  I suppose I could buy cows and give them to his family, but even if they accept them, that still doesn't produce what I need, which is documentation of the annulment of the marriage.

Unfortunately, if the dowry was never returned, whether the cows died or not, whether the dead cows were replaced or not, then I would say even in the traditional sense, you are still considered married because dowry was paid.  Had the dowry been returned,  because that also involves some kind of ceremony with plenty of people in attendance, I would have suggested getting a letter from your area chief stating that the marriage was officially dissolved and you could use that letter to get a decree from the courts.  I am not a lawyer so this was just a suggestion.  However, that said, all these should have been done prior to your current marriage which may not be legal either here or in Kenya. 

AOS from F1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How can you marry in the US when you are married, you have to be single to marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Did you gain immigration benefits through your US "marriage" yet ?  If so, you might have a big issue on your hands.......a BIG issue.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

You must still obtain a a divorce or annulment even if there is no record of this marriage. As it is right now you are a bigamist and your current marriage is invalid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/8/2018 at 8:40 PM, Famsboy85 said:

Please do not attempt to get married now without first sorting out the previous married.

OP stated he is already married (at the same time) to an American woman.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.