Irisandjoel

Calling senator because of no AOS or EAD updates

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline

So I am currently in my AOS process and filed for my EAD.

My NOA1 was November 2nd, had my biometrics Dec 7th, received a RFIE dec 4th and responded dec 7th.

There have been no updates since fingerprint fee was received, I still haven't received a response notice after they received my RFIE requested documents.

I have heard about people getting state senators to help, how does that work? I call them and what? I don't like talking to people on the phone when I have no idea what to say or do. 

Getting very frustrated and impatient since I see plenty of people who filed 1-3 weeks after me who received their EADs already.. 

And I am also confused about how long my case has been pending. I thought I hit the 90 day limit today, but someone pointed out to me weekends and holidays don't count.. if that is true my cases have been pending only for 61 days.. 54 if they paused while they waited for the RFIE documents. So I can't make an actual inquiry until March 9th....? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

lol.... check processing times on the USCIS for your center...... This is going to be a long journey!  technically they say that the time some what starts over after RFE information is received. I don't really believe it BUT sometimes it does seem like it.... I applied for AOS for my parents back in 09/19/16.. YES 2016.. we JUST had my dads interview this past Monday...........

***CURRENT STATUS: US CITIZEN***

N-400 Naturalization Filed in the Texas LockBox (GC Date of 08/05/13)

00 Days- 05/09/16 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/10/16 Package Delivered

***PRIORITY DATE OF 05/10/16***

10 Days- 05/19/16 Received NOA

17 Days- 05/26/16 Received Biometrics Letter For 06/06/16

18 Days- 05/27/16 Biometrics Walk-in

***TRAVEL ABROAD FROM 06/15-06/30***

57 Days- 07/05/16 In Line For Interview :)

64 Days- 07/11/16 Interview Letter Mailed with a Scheduled date of 08/18/16

102 Days- 08/18/16 Interview (L) "Recommended For Approval"

106 Days- 08/22/16 In-Line for Oath :dancing:

117 Days- 09/02/16 Oath Ceremony (L) Officially a US CITIZEN.

121 Days- 09/06/16 Sent EXPEDITE passport application :dancing:

129 Days- 09/14/16 Received Passport :)

I-751 REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS FILED IN THE CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER (GC EXPIRATION DATE OF 08/05/15)

00 Days- 05/07/15 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/08/15 Package Delivered

***PRIORITY DATE OF 05/07/15 Even Tho Package Was Delivered On 05/08/15***

19 Days- 05/26/15 Received NOA

40 Days- 06/16/15 Biometrics Done

42 Days- 06/18/15 Stamp On Passport I-551 (evidence of permanent residency for 1 year with expiration date of 06/17/16)

181 Days- 11/04/15 Approved VIA Text Message 8:30 PM Eastern Time!

186 Days- 11/09/15 Approval letter came in from Charleston, SC office!

189 Days- 11/13/15 Greencard Arrived (L)

AOS, I-765, I-130 ADJUSTING THROUGH MARRIAGE (CURRENT IMMIGRATION STATUS: DACA, But came legally with Turist Visa)
00 Days- 05/14/13 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/15/13 Priority Date
08 Days- 05/22/13 Received NOA
14 Days- 05/28/13 Received Biometrics Letter For 06/12/13
16 Days- 05/30/13 Biometrics Walk-in:

36 Days- 06/19/13 Interview & Scheduling

49 Days- 07/02/13 USCIS Online Notification (interview Scheduled For 08/05/13)

63 Days- 07/16/13 EAD APPROVED good.gif

71 Days- 07/24/13 EAD Received

84 Days- 08/05/13 INTERVIEW!!!!!dancin5hr.gif

84 Days- 08/05/13 APPROVED ON THE SPOT BABY!

32 minutes ago, Irisandjoel said:

My NOA1 was November 2nd, had my biometrics Dec 7th, received a RFIE dec 4th and responded dec 7th.

There have been no updates since fingerprint fee was received, I still haven't received a response notice after they received my RFIE requested documents.

I have heard about people getting state senators to help, how does that work? I call them and what? I don't like talking to people on the phone when I have no idea what to say or do. 

Getting very frustrated and impatient since I see plenty of people who filed 1-3 weeks after me who received their EADs already.. 

And I am also confused about how long my case has been pending. I thought I hit the 90 day limit today, but someone pointed out to me weekends and holidays don't count.. if that is true my cases have been pending only for 61 days.. 54 if they paused while they waited for the RFIE documents. So I can't make an actual inquiry until March 9th....? 

In my experiences the RFIE does indeed reset the clock, I got one and it reset mine. Regarding the RFIE response though, call USCIS up, request a tier two officer and ensure they have it - because occasionally (not often) it may get lost somewhere and then they'll deny your case because they won't have received it. 

You'll not hear anything regarding Adjustment of Status for a while yet, we applied in July 2017 and we haven't heard anything since September when the status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview. 

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

I was told that processing times are not just paused when you receive an RFIE, but that it actually resets the clock, and that they aim to respond to your EAD application within 90 days after receiving your RFIE documents. 

You should have received a receipt notice of your RFIE response by now. You need to call USCIS about this. I also hate to talk to people on the phone, but I had to get over it when I started calling USCIS regularly because my EAD expedite request seemed to be stuck.

I don't think your application has been pending long enough for a Senator to be able to help. But if you do want to ask one to assist you, just check their website. The Senator that was involved in my case had a specific form online for these kind of things. You fill that out, sign it and mail it to their office. I received a call from my Senator's office as soon as they had received my form, and they made a Congressional Inquiry with USCIS.

If you want to speed things up, you can always apply for jobs and try to expedite your EAD if you are offered a job. But I know from experience that even expedite requests are taking forever at the moment.

I know it's hard, I have been sitting at home for 6 months and it made me feel miserable. Try to be patient and keep yourself busy.

36 minutes ago, Irisandjoel said:

You got a long way to go and you are not even close to be outside the timelines right now. So it's just best to wait until you hear something back from them.

1 minute ago, MariekeH said:

I was told that processing times are not just paused when you receive an RFIE, but that it actually resets the clock, and that they aim to respond to your EAD application within 90 days after receiving your RFIE documents. 

You should have received a receipt notice of your RFIE response by now. You need to call USCIS about this. I also hate to talk to people on the phone, but I had to get over it when I started calling USCIS regularly because my EAD expedite request seemed to be stuck.

I don't think your application has been pending long enough for a Senator to be able to help. But if you do want to ask one to assist you, just check their website. The Senator that was involved in my case had a specific form online for these kind of things. You fill that out, sign it and mail it to their office. I received a call from my Senator's office as soon as they had received my form, and they made a Congressional Inquiry with USCIS.

If you want to speed things up, you can always apply for jobs and try to expedite your EAD if you are offered a job. But I know from experience that even expedite requests are taking forever at the moment.

I know it's hard, I have been sitting at home for 6 months and it made me feel miserable. Try to be patient and keep yourself busy.

The majority of the time they won't help unless it is out of processing timelines.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

In my experiences the RFIE does indeed reset the clock, I got one and it reset mine. Regarding the RFIE response though, call USCIS up, request a tier two officer and ensure they have it - because occasionally (not often) it may get lost somewhere and then they'll deny your case because they won't have received it. 

You'll not hear anything regarding Adjustment of Status for a while yet, we applied in July 2017 and we haven't heard anything since September when the status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview. 

We talked to a supervisor about a month ago and she looked up the case and said everything looked fine regarding the RFIE, no notes or red flags marked there, so as far as we know it's supposed to be fine. Just wondering where my notice is since most people receive it within a few days..

Yeah I don't really care about my AOS, I just want my EAD so I can woooork. I have seen filers who filed in November who can book their AOS interview now.. don't know why they got a super speedy response.

Just now, Irisandjoel said:

We talked to a supervisor about a month ago and she looked up the case and said everything looked fine regarding the RFIE, no notes or red flags marked there, so as far as we know it's supposed to be fine. Just wondering where my notice is since most people receive it within a few days..

Yeah I don't really care about my AOS, I just want my EAD so I can woooork. I have seen filers who filed in November who can book their AOS interview now.. don't know why they got a super speedy response.

I never received a notice in the mail that they got my RFIE response, it just updated online. Their online updates are sporadic at best though, and not consistent at all. If the supervisor says it was received, then it's fine and has been received. 

It pretty much depends on field office regarding AOS, some are much busier than others. 

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

I was told that too, that a RFIE or RFE resets your processing times, that was told to me by a regular phone person from USCIS. However when we spoke to a supervisor, she told us it is NOT correct. So I want to believe her.. 

And they also told me previously on the phone that they take up to 60 days to respond to your requested documents. Since I mailed mine in Dec 7th, I have still some weeks to go until I hit the 60 day limit...

I already have a job offer waiting for me, so that is why I want my EAD so bad, we really need the money. When I looked up expedition regarding EAD all the info I found was that you can only expedite if you prove your employer is losing a lot of money not having you work yet. And since I am not a engineer or a brain surgeon I thought that would not work.. So if you can tell me how I request an expedite I would appreciate it! But then I have wondered if I am too late in the process, since they are approving filers in the similar timeline as I have, it would be just my luck to send a package and receive my EAD the very same day.. But I know I am being very pessimistic, I am struggling not working... it's not good for my mental health. And it's hard to keep busy when you live in other's people house in middle of nowhere with no money to do anything.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

I never received a notice in the mail that they got my RFIE response, it just updated online. Their online updates are sporadic at best though, and not consistent at all. If the supervisor says it was received, then it's fine and has been received. 

It pretty much depends on field office regarding AOS, some are much busier than others. 

Yeah I just got off the phone with USCIS and they told the NBC is processing my case, their website says they're working on cases from September.. And it was last updated Nov 7th.... 

1 minute ago, Irisandjoel said:

I was told that too, that a RFIE or RFE resets your processing times, that was told to me by a regular phone person from USCIS. However when we spoke to a supervisor, she told us it is NOT correct. So I want to believe her.. 

And they also told me previously on the phone that they take up to 60 days to respond to your requested documents. Since I mailed mine in Dec 7th, I have still some weeks to go until I hit the 60 day limit...

I already have a job offer waiting for me, so that is why I want my EAD so bad, we really need the money. When I looked up expedition regarding EAD all the info I found was that you can only expedite if you prove your employer is losing a lot of money not having you work yet. And since I am not a engineer or a brain surgeon I thought that would not work.. So if you can tell me how I request an expedite I would appreciate it! But then I have wondered if I am too late in the process, since they are approving filers in the similar timeline as I have, it would be just my luck to send a package and receive my EAD the very same day.. But I know I am being very pessimistic, I am struggling not working... it's not good for my mental health. And it's hard to keep busy when you live in other's people house in middle of nowhere with no money to do anything.

You can actually expedite for a job offer, I did it. Just call up your Senator's office, tell them what you want to do and they'll have you sign a privacy release form. Send it back to the Senator's office and they'll submit a congressional inquiry. Also include a copy of the job offer in letter format with the employers signature stating your desired start date. 

1 minute ago, Irisandjoel said:

Just call USCIS, and tell them you want to request your EAD application to be expedited because you have a job offer. They will read a list of categories to you, and your request will fall under the "financial hardship" category. Usually you will receive an email later, asking you to fax your evidence, but I was never asked to fax anything, and after 5 weeks of calling and asking for updates, I was told that my EAD was approved.

Senators can also help with expedite requests.

You can always try. I applied for a job in November, thinking I would receive my EAD very soon, based on other people's timelines. I was officially offered the job just before Christmas, and immediately requested an expedite. My EAD was finally approved last week. I don't know if that was because of the inquiry by the Senator's Office, because of my expedite request, or just because my EAD application had been pending for almost 6 months, but that doesn't really matter.

Good luck!

An RFE pauses the clock for when your case is out of normal processing timelines so you can submit an SR. An RFIE resets that clock. So contacting a senator or trying an SR won’t do much as you are still within normal timelines by their rules. That said, from a practical standpoint the clock doesn’t really reset in terms of how long it actually takes to get approved. It will pause still as they cannot process the case with an outstanding RFE or RFIE.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

I applied in August and I have not heard anything. And no one has even looked at my 2 service requests. 

Yeah, they're moving terribly slow at the moment, and service requests are being ignored. Hopefully you'll hear something soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.