msohyun

Can I pick up my spouse at their first layover and they skip flying to the destination?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I would go through I-10 instead of I-8 from San Diego to AZ.

They have few internal border check points outside of San Diego, CA (sometime they open/close) and Yuma, AZ (always open) on I-8. 

They will ask passport/documents at the check point. Sometime they just wave their hand to let you though if you are lucky. 

One less things to worry about if you take I-10 to AZ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

at the interview they return the documents

spouse should have marriage certificate 

BTW  you should have a few origianls for the different things needed in the US

and luggauge?    need to pick it up or have all spouse needs for a few days in carry on and pick up the remainder at origianl desigantion

they will question why spouse is not going to address given Arizona on the packet so be there in  case you are paged

2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

at the interview they return the documents

spouse should have marriage certificate 

BTW  you should have a few origianls for the different things needed in the US

and luggauge?    need to pick it up or have all spouse needs for a few days in carry on and pick up the remainder at origianl desigantion

they will question why spouse is not going to address given Arizona on the packet so be there in  case you are paged

Spouse has not completed the CR1 process.  They are just visiting while the I-130 is being adjudicated.   

However, OP you should not have sent any original supporting documents with the I-130.  If you read the instructions it specifically states to send legible photocopies only unless instructed otherwise. 

The main issue for you has nothing to do with immigration but actually is an airline issue.  Call the airline. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Visiting the United States while you have a pending I-130 petition  involves walking a logical tightrope: You clearly do intend to move to the United States permanently, once you get your green card. But right now, you’re required to convince the  CBP agent that you are not settling in the United States yet.

That can be difficult to do if you’ve already quit your job and sold your all your property in your home country. That’s why many people choose to visit the United States before doing either of those things.

If you’re able to present strong evidence that you plan to return home after visiting, you should not be turned away simply because you have a pending I-130. Regarding the layover, the airline will be looking for her and might cancel the return ticket. Back in 1970 my mother was refused entry as my dad was born in the USA. Two years ago my friend was send back to England, her husband was USC. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
18 hours ago, msohyun said:

Hello all,

My spouse is from coming to visit me in Arizona. They will go from their country to San Diego, CA to Arizona. 

However, I would like to pick them up in San Diego and travel it too, then drive back to Arizona. 

Is it okay/safe for them to just skip going from San Diego to Arizona while they are waiting for the I-130 to process? ...is it okay in general for them to skip going from San Diego to Arizona?

tldr- they will go from their country to San Diego to Arizona. Is it okay and safe for them to skip the flight from SD to AZ and I just pick her up?

Yes, no problem, at least legally speaking. Some unsolicited relationship advice though: save yourself some grief and skip the drive. Most of it is pretty dull. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

You may have shot yourself in the foot by sending the original document to USCIS with the I-130. Chances are, you'll never see it again. 

The NVC/State Department will also request a *photocopy* of it, and then your wife will need to bring the *ORIGINAL* to the interview. 

16 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

That is what I am reading as well, that she is just coming for a visit during the IR1/CR1 process.

To the OP, you need to speak to the airlines to determine the ramifications of shorting a ticket.  As others have said, they could cancel the return leg, or you may need to make a trip to your final destination airport to get the bags.  The other thing you need to consider is that your wife will be arriving on a rather long flight, does she really want to drive 5-6 hrs back to Phoenix after spending 8-10 hrs on a plane?  I know I would want to get to my lodging location as soon as possible, un-pack and relax.  I assume she will be there for a few or more days, so maybe use that time to take a drive to wherever in AZ, CA, NV, UT, etc.  As to documentation, since she will be arriving on a visitor (VWP) she needs to keep documentation that shows her ties back to the ROK.

Good Luck!

To be honest, she does not have any proof that she will return to Korea besides from hee return ticket. 

She quit her job to study English and the American nurse exam. She lives with her parents. I certainly hope that she can stay here for two weeks and go home without any trouble 

8 hours ago, msohyun said:

To be honest, she does not have any proof that she will return to Korea besides from hee return ticket. 

She quit her job to study English and the American nurse exam. She lives with her parents. I certainly hope that she can stay here for two weeks and go home without any trouble 

in that case, I wouldn't risk it. I hope her visit goes well, but it's risky...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
3 hours ago, DrEllaNJ said:

in that case, I wouldn't risk it. I hope her visit goes well, but it's risky...

Why? What's risky about it? South Korea is a part of the VWP. I doubt she'll have any problems whatsoever.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Let me clarify - skipping the SD-AR portion of the flight is risky because the airline may cancel her return flight

The visit itself presents some risks because she has a husband in the US, a i-130 in process, and no real ties back home. The VWP doesn't guarantee admission, it's just a way to visit without having to get a special visa. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who have no problem visiting their US spouse while their i-130 is in process. So it's possible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, msohyun said:

OK i did not understand she had a return ticket.

once she misses her second part of the trip it cancels the rest of the ticket!

Therefore, her return ticket will be INVALID!!! trust me, i learned this the hard way! Just have her fly to you. it is a senseless drive for you to make, you wont do her any good being there, she can ask for help getting to her connection. trust me! do not do the drive. 

also, if you do the drive her return ticket is invalid u will need to book a whole new return ticket!!!!! so look at spending more $$$$ 

(this is why sometimes i book 2 one way tickets)

2 hours ago, DrEllaNJ said:

Let me clarify - skipping the SD-AR portion of the flight is risky because the airline may cancel her return flight

The visit itself presents some risks because she has a husband in the US, a i-130 in process, and no real ties back home. The VWP doesn't guarantee admission, it's just a way to visit without having to get a special visa. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who have no problem visiting their US spouse while their i-130 is in process. So it's possible.

the return ticket is 100% canceled. no way around this. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
On 12/14/2017 at 9:13 PM, caliliving said:

Yes it's fine to skip the second part as long as you don't have a return ticket- I learned that the hard way hahaha however, why drive if u don't have to? She will be fine making it thru and much easier to fly 

oh boy i agree on driving part. If you can fly, then just fly. We just did our road trip from Florida to Colorado .. 4 Days of continuous drive and freaking Kansas would never end.. Gosh the Kansas part was miserable .. And I lost the bet with my wifey so I had to drive whole Kansas.  However, It was super funny coz I could see 5 miles ahead and see cop car.. and how people would slow down to speed limit. It was just super funny.. They would pass me (i would be driving 80 miles or so) and they would pass me like a race car.. and they would see flashing lights and just slow down.. That was super funny

well road trip are fun.. and you should do it.. but before u head for a long drive, your significant other should be able to drive in America that way having two drivers will be easy. 

Kansas and Oklahoma are horrendous to drive through.  I've done it a few times and would rather poke my eyeballs.   I'm not sure Wyoming is much better.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Gorkhali said:

oh boy i agree on driving part. If you can fly, then just fly. We just did our road trip from Florida to Colorado .. 4 Days of continuous drive and freaking Kansas would never end.. Gosh the Kansas part was miserable .. And I lost the bet with my wifey so I had to drive whole Kansas.  However, It was super funny coz I could see 5 miles ahead and see cop car.. and how people would slow down to speed limit. It was just super funny.. They would pass me (i would be driving 80 miles or so) and they would pass me like a race car.. and they would see flashing lights and just slow down.. That was super funny

well road trip are fun.. and you should do it.. but before u head for a long drive, your significant other should be able to drive in America that way having two drivers will be easy. 

Road trips are fun when it's a road trip and you have time to explore. Seeing ahe just touched down on American soil she probably wants to be in a house and figure out her life. I'm sure checking out the grand canyon and Vegas is not a priority 😂😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.