CaliCat

'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas

644 posts in this topic

Timeline
18 minutes ago, JimandChristy said:

In other first world countries there wouldn't be a need to have a local resident to chase off a guy with a gun when that guy had already killed 20+ people in the congregation in a matter of seconds. Access to firearms is so easy in this country and it is why there are so many mass shootings and death by guns. Stricter policies in Europe/Australia/Japan these events are very rare. This guy in 15 seconds did more damage than what has occurred in the UK during an entire year.

And if more guns were the answer, the Texas terrorist would not be on the news. 

There is enough straw to go around to start a brick factory.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

And if more guns were the answer, the Texas terrorist would not be on the news. 

There is enough straw to go around to start a brick factory.

And Trucks.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

And Trucks.

You'll have enough straw soon to make two strawmen!

Edited by JimandChristy

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Firearms account for close to 70% of homicides per year on average in the USA. That's more than twice as many as homicides committed by vehicles, blunt objects, knifes, hands, fists, feet, being thrown out of a window, explosives and poison combined. Might as well stop running from the facts because you can't hide from them.

I agree with your stats.  Now, how to we go about reducing them to a more tolerable level?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hopefully there will be more facts forthcoming. Thus far it seems he purchased the rifle from an FFL in Texas but has a dishonorable discharge on his record which, in Texas Law, apparently disqualifies a person. So the question may be, how did the background check fail. 

3 hours ago, Sonea said:

Hopefully there will be more facts forthcoming. Thus far it seems he purchased the rifle from an FFL in Texas but has a dishonorable discharge on his record which, in Texas Law, apparently disqualifies a person. So the question may be, how did the background check fail. 

He apparently has a Bad Conduct Discharge, which is different from a Dishonorable Discharge.  Bad Conduct Discharges don't result in a ban from buying or owning firearms.  

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, jayjayj said:

He apparently has a Bad Conduct Discharge, which is different from a Dishonorable Discharge.  Bad Conduct Discharges don't result in a ban from buying or owning firearms.  

The word dishonorable is actually printed in bold letters on the form 4473. 

16 minutes ago, Merle said:

The word dishonorable is actually printed in bold letters on the form 4473. 

Post a link to his DD Form 4473.

This article quotes an AF spokesman saying "bad conduct discharge" -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/the-latest-ages-of-texas-victims-ranged-from-5-to-72/2017/11/05/3ff786c8-c287-11e7-9922-4151f5ca6168_story.html?utm_term=.002cc0b9d21f

"Spokeswoman Ann Stefanek says Devin P. Kelley was court-martialed on one count of assault on his spouse and another count of assault on their child. He received a bad conduct discharge, 12 months’ confinement and a reduction in rank."

A Bad Conduct Discharge is not the same as a Dishonorable Discharge.

3/10/2013 - Married

05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

Post a link to his DD Form 4473.

This article quotes an AF spokesman saying "bad conduct discharge" -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/the-latest-ages-of-texas-victims-ranged-from-5-to-72/2017/11/05/3ff786c8-c287-11e7-9922-4151f5ca6168_story.html?utm_term=.002cc0b9d21f

"Spokeswoman Ann Stefanek says Devin P. Kelley was court-martialed on one count of assault on his spouse and another count of assault on their child. He received a bad conduct discharge, 12 months’ confinement and a reduction in rank."

A Bad Conduct Discharge is not the same as a Dishonorable Discharge.

Whoa, easy now. I'm on your side. I was referring to the ATF form 4473 confirming that a bad conduct discharge is not a reason to deny a firearm purchase as the 4473 asks a potential buyer if they have had a dishonorable discharge.

2 minutes ago, Merle said:

Whoa, easy now. I'm on your side. I was referring to the ATF form 4473 confirming that a bad conduct discharge is not a reason to deny a firearm purchase as the 4473 asks a potential buyer if they have had a dishonorable discharge.

Sorry if I sounded confrontational.  That wasn't my intention.

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

10 hours ago, Sonea said:

Not just Texas law but Federal law as well. If you have a Dishonorable Discharge from the military then you can not own a firearm nationwide. 

11 hours ago, IDWAF said:

I agree with your stats.  Now, how to we go about reducing them to a more tolerable level?

I wish I had the answer. In many of these events, it seems it's too easy for people who shouldn't have guns to be able to get guns. I think we have to examine that.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

it seems it's too easy for people who shouldn't have guns to be able to get guns.

Not just any gun; assault rifle.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, charmander said:

Not just any gun; assault rifle.

And Black

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”