CaliCat

'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas

644 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

close to 500 dead by mostly handguns in one american city alone, this year. Oddly enough its not a head line 

Wonder why...

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Ongoing gun violence is not a topic in this thread huh.. WRONG

Now bashing the president isn't but yet...

so, what was the argument you were trying to make with that statement then - with regards to ongoing gun violence?

the president thinks this particular mass shooting has to do with the shooters mental state, i know the pattern. 

Just now, smilesammich said:

so, what was the argument you were trying to make with that statement then - with regards to ongoing gun violence?

the president thinks this particular mass shooting has to do with the shooters mental state, i know the pattern. 

So you think mentally well people walk into church and kill 26 people . 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

close to 500 dead by mostly handguns in one american city alone, this year. Oddly enough its not a head line 

There is psychological term for that, when people get num and don't get shocked by violence anymore. Same thing with terroristic attacks in the Middle East and Europe.

But...that doesn't mean people should ignore the subject. America has a serious problem, among other problems like drug epidemic but that's a different topic. I don't believe banning guns is the solution, but rather change of mentality. 

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

17 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

The vast majority of immigrants do not murder us with handguns, bombs, or trucks every year. Oddly it is also not a headline.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

do mentally well people rent a truck and mow innocent bikers down? hmmm.

Just now, Nature Boy Flair said:

Do you think anyone that takes another life is mentally well?

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
9 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i disagree with 'just need to work with the child' - if you have a sensitive/anxious child - you know this is 'just' not enough.

True, have a very anxious and sensitive kid with a vivid imagination. Happens often that he wakes up middle of the night because he was scared a bad guy will come into our house. Husband assures him that he will never let that happen. But the fact that people carry weapons to stop (kill, wound) other people plays a huge role in his imagination. 

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Beachlover said:

It's interesting you mention this and I agree to certain level. I don't think you can fully prepare them for anything like a shooting or attack, especially that young.

Even adults don't know how to cope with a situation like that and survivors often end up with PTSD and traumas. 

My husband is pro concealed carry, I'm moderate pro but I see also the other side of the coin. We both try to prepare the kids how to act in case they need too but I believe ( that's how I grew up, I don't know about others) that kids should grow up without being worried about mass shootings or any other attacks. Some of that innocence I grew up with is taking away from them. 

I was always warned and prepared by my parents, grandparents and others. Guess living through some hard times taught them lessons that got passed along. 

Bad things happen to good people ... be it an accident or another person causing the bad thing. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention ... be aware.

Even way back then ... beatings, stabbings, drunk drivers, not wearing seat belts (they weren't mandatory in my childhood), shootings, playing with lawn darts were everyday things. They happened. Just didn't get the sensationalism broadcast 24/7.

All kids need to be aware of attacks as they can come in many forms and it's taught in school as well ... stranger danger ... sound familiar? 

My wife grew up in Rio just outside a favela ... want to see someone talk to kids about being aware ... she is good 

1 minute ago, Beachlover said:

True, have a very anxious and sensitive kid with a vivid imagination. Happens often that he wakes up middle of the night because he was scared a bad guy will come into our house. Husband assures him that he will never let that happen. But the fact that people carry weapons to stop (kill, wound) other people plays a huge role in his imagination. 

my kid is the same..but 15. he knows that any sense of security is faulty and can't be told otherwise. many many discussions about 'what's the point when someone can shoot you whenever' of course i'm simplifying but, teenage angst/anxiety is rough with stuff like this happening daily.

Timeline
1 minute ago, natty bumppo said:

I was always warned and prepared by my parents, grandparents and others. Guess living through some hard times taught them lessons that got passed along. 

Bad things happen to good people ... be it an accident or another person causing the bad thing. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention ... be aware.

Even way back then ... beatings, stabbings, drunk drivers, not wearing seat belts (they weren't mandatory in my childhood), shootings, playing with lawn darts were everyday things. They happened. Just didn't get the sensationalism broadcast 24/7.

All kids need to be aware of attacks as they can come in many forms and it's taught in school as well ... stranger danger ... sound familiar? 

My wife grew up in Rio just outside a favela ... want to see someone talk to kids about being aware ... she is good 

Honestly, I grew up in the safest environment possible. So no, no warnings for stabbings, drunk people or shootings. Even when I was single and going out, I would take the subway back home at 2/3 am, walk 10/15 minutes to my house and never, ever felt unsafe.

Now when I go for a run during the day, I carry pepper spray with me. I'm more aware of the dangers and the mental state of people where I live cause it's a complete different mentality.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
18 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i disagree with 'just need to work with the child' - if you have a sensitive/anxious child - you know this is 'just' not enough.

parents play a role in how children perceive things, which is why discussing openly is always a good idea.

i don't know anything about your kids, i was speaking from my experience - with my kid.

just wanted to make sure of the extent of the disagreement ....

meaning ... if you knew my kids, then next time you're in the neighborhood stop on by ... I'll throw some dead animal on the grill ;)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Beachlover said:

Honestly, I grew up in the safest environment possible. So no, no warnings for stabbings, drunk people or shootings. Even when I was single and going out, I would take the subway back home at 2/3 am, walk 10/15 minutes to my house and never, ever felt unsafe.

Now when I go for a run during the day, I carry pepper spray with me. I'm more aware of the dangers and the mental state of people where I live cause it's a complete different mentality.

I'm from a very small town and always felt safe too. Just was taught to be aware ...

Just now, natty bumppo said:

just wanted to make sure of the extent of the disagreement ....

meaning ... if you knew my kids, then next time you're in the neighborhood stop on by ... I'll throw some dead animal on the grill ;)

i would dig in to it more but normally discussions involving parenting and children gets a bit heated. i can say, you can't talk an anxious child out of anxiety when neurological/ocd type factors are at play.

Timeline
Just now, natty bumppo said:

I'm from a very small town and always felt safe too. Just was taught to be aware ...

My husband always says that growing up in America's 80's was totally different then growing up now. He would be gone for hours till dark.His parents wouldn't be worried cause that was very common those days. 

I guess times have changed.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg