IheartAsia

Sending Large amount of Money to PH, Advice Please

61 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, hope you are having a good weekend. I usually send $150 to $200 a week to my fiancee using Remitlly. I know it is a nice chunk, but I am ok with it. I trust her and it helps the family live a better life. I know how hard her mother and father work and receive such little pay and price for food/products are similar to the states. 

Now, I want to send a large chunk, $6000, for house that I am helping her parents buy. They are being kicked out of their home and looking for a new home nearby. Her father tell me for house they have to pay for it one payment ($10,000) and that is all. No monthly payments. This is a village in Taguig/Manila. It seems to be the common theme in the area, because all other houses they are looking at is one payment too. Is anyone familial with this concept of one payment?

My concerns are security:

Should I send over remitly? We have had no problems yet in smaller amounts. I am worried about sending a large amount that they will have to travel with, I don't want them to become targets, but I will have her cousin, father, and maybe uncle present for security purposes. Also, I may be able to get 54p to $1 rate. 

Should I send to her father's bank account? I have not made international wire transfers yet and don't know much about the expense of it or security of it.

Also, he wants to pay in person by cash with attorney present, I was hoping more like a check or something. I don't like the idea of carrying that much cash around.

Any advice or prior experience is much appreciated. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like what Greenbaum said, are you sure this is not a scam? May I ask how long have you known your fiancee? I am from PH as well and I use banks to transfer such amounts of money to my family. There's a lot of banks that do international deposits and transfer - Bank of the Philippine Islands, Landbank, Metro Bank - are few examples. I personally use BPI. However, this will depend on your US bank. Mine is not really a BANK bank, but a credit union. In addition, I hope you have known your fiancee a long time to send this much of money. Good luck.

Timeline

To add, $10,000 is such a small amount to buy a "house" on one payment. Especially the location (Taguig/Manila), this is a quite large city and you can seldom see a house this worth. Normally above $10,000. It also depends how big the house your girlfriend is talking about.

EDIT: I'd say they might know the seller to get discounts on the house, but this is very rare especially in PH. Business is business. I bought a house from where I grew up and the location is a small town and yet I bought it for $15,000. Again, good luck.

Edited by Ehri&Mark

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Mmmhhh, I don't like the sound of this and not to mention, she is only your fiancée...Please before doing any type of transaction such as this, think it through...You must asked yourself questions such as how were they surviving before they met you? What would they have done if you weren't in the picture which is pretty much the same question like the first..I know these are not responses you are looking for, but please be careful on whatever you decide to do...I don't have an answer on how you should transfer money, but the post above gave an answer...Good luck!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. If they are only going to rent, then there is no such thing as a one-time payment. There is an advance payment which is usually just up to 6 months or a year. But a real one-time payment for rent? Impossible.
2. If they are buying the house with just a $10,000 one-time payment, I would agree with what @Ehri&Mark has posted. It is way too cheap for a house located in Taguig. If what they meant by "one-time payment" is actually a "down payment," then for sure, there will be more payments needed.

Please be careful. Ask them questions. $10,000 is half a million pesos, and that is, by all accounts, already considered a large amount of money in the Philippines. Good luck.

EDIT: We use Xoom to send money to PH. It works best if wired to a BDO account as the transfer is almost real-time. With BPI, there is a delay of a few hours (4-5 hours max, based on my experience.)

Edited by lovewins2016

======================

FOR K-1

Filed: 2016-07-08

Approved: 2016-09-12

Interview: 2016-11-03

US Entry: 2017-02-03

FOR AOS/EAD/AP

Filed: 2017-04-03

NOA1 Date: 2017-04-12

Bio. Appt: 2017-05-03

RFE: None

EAD/AP Approved: 2017-07-25

EAD/AP Card Received: 2017-07-31

RFE: None

AOS Interview Date: None

AOS Approved: 2018-03-17

Green Card Received: 2018-03-23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow, some pretty strong judgments, with some certain you're being scammed.  Obviously you've likely considered that possibility and if you're confidant you're not, and willing to be ok if it turns out you are, then it's your choice.  I know some in similar circumstances who had it work out fine.  Your decision.  (Some people state it as a "fact" that you're being scammed, as if they can see into your and your fiancée's hearts....)

500k pesos, $10k, sounds very cheap for a house.  It's possible it's an extremely humble house (I know some squatter houses that could go for that price, but likely they don't own the lot). 

What you're really asking is how to do the transfer and security on their end.  Yes, I've sent money in the past that was "stolen" before making it to the final destination.  Uncertain always if it was "stolen" or just scammed away, but I believe either is possible so your concern is founded.  Remitly, Xoom, other options will get the money there.  I use bank to bank transfers for the most part, which is secure through arrival in the Philippines.  Getting to the final destination can be a concern.  Your concerns are founded.  There is always a possibility they could get mugged.  Especially if anyone else has an idea of what is going on, they may watch for the opportunity.  I don't know of any "certain" ways of ensuring the money gets there.

Best of luck.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Grant PDX said:

Wow, some pretty strong judgments, with some certain you're being scammed.  Obviously you've likely considered that possibility and if you're confidant you're not, and willing to be ok if it turns out you are, then it's your choice.  I know some in similar circumstances who had it work out fine.  Your decision.  (Some people state it as a "fact" that you're being scammed, as if they can see into your and your fiancée's hearts....)

500k pesos, $10k, sounds very cheap for a house.  It's possible it's an extremely humble house (I know some squatter houses that could go for that price, but likely they don't own the lot). 

What you're really asking is how to do the transfer and security on their end.  Yes, I've sent money in the past that was "stolen" before making it to the final destination.  Uncertain always if it was "stolen" or just scammed away, but I believe either is possible so your concern is founded.  Remitly, Xoom, other options will get the money there.  I use bank to bank transfers for the most part, which is secure through arrival in the Philippines.  Getting to the final destination can be a concern.  Your concerns are founded.  There is always a possibility they could get mugged.  Especially if anyone else has an idea of what is going on, they may watch for the opportunity.  I don't know of any "certain" ways of ensuring the money gets there.

Best of luck.

I didn't and I wouldn't say for a fact that he is being scammed. (I'm not saying you are talking about me.) But this happens a lot in the Philippines. I am from there and believe me, I've seen cases like this. Some people are getting angrier every time, especially the people who really love their fiances and husbands, as these scammer is putting a bad name to filipinas/filipinos. Also, I am not saying that OP's girlfriend is a scammer. My only advice (to OP) is please make sure you are doing the right thing. And like @Grant PDX said, it is your choice. 

You send P40,000.00 a month and now need to send $6000.00, you need to ask more questions, 

ROC Filed July 2017

Walk in Bio completed

Thanks for all the concern. I have known her for about a year and spent about a month with her and her family in person. One thing I truly know is she cares more about me and our relationship together than the money. She is often times scared that by me sending so much money I am going to lose interest in her and find another girl, but I reassure her, I am loyal to her and do not worry because I know the money is going to things that are needed. Her father is a hardworking electrician who is overworked and does not have much time to spend to his family. All he wants is to be with his family and to take care of them. I took them out to Puerta Galera for a couple days for a little family retreat. It was the first time in 10 years he took time off work is what he told me. Over discussion and a little Red Horse he broke down in teers about how much he loved his family and how he just wanted them to be happy and together and gave me permission to marry his daughter even though he would miss her dearly. She is always worried she not good enough or pretty enough and I will lose interest. But I see a lot of great things in her and always reassure her that I love her.  

1st Pic is the house they want to buy, it is in Palar village that is why it is only $10,000. Palar is a village in Taguig that is mainly lower class housing.  

The next few pictures is our retreat to puerta galera.

21322765_215186432346979_1646744342_n.jpg

IMG_20170222_105932703.jpg

17098721_1245802218843184_8719781247853611294_n.jpg

17098216_1245801262176613_7357703230532019955_n.jpg

Edited by IheartAsia

2 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Let me say this. Are you sure you are not getting scammed. This "stinks" of scamming from my experience and that is why I ask. Of course, what you do is your business, I understand that. Sending a check is very difficult. He would probably have to wait 30 days for it to clear after he deposits in his bank. Then once that happens he can either withdraw it as cash or they also may provide a check.  You could skip the 30 day wait if you were to send the money to your GF account and she can control it on your behalf.

I'm not sure that you can send $6,000 casy with Remitly but I know that Xoom just started offering money transfers up to $10,000.

I wish you the best and hope you have thought this through. Again, I think this could be a scam but I am not in your shoes. Please be careful. 

Thanks Greenbaum for your concern. I can understand how it appears fishy. This has been an ongoing issue for a long while with the family and my fiance's uncle, they pay him rent and he has been wanting them to leave for a long while now. So they have been saving up for house for the past several years. The parents and middle sister works very hard to provide for the family and buying a new house. My fiancee was going to go oversea's to work before she met me. This is nothing that came out of the blue. This was in the making for sometime. The thing I don't like the most, is having to pay that all at once. That is why I was hoping someone on here might be familiar with that concept. I will ask more questions and try to find out more details about the area and the housing there. 

Edited by IheartAsia

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, IheartAsia said:

Hello Everyone, hope you are having a good weekend. I usually send $150 to $200 a week to my fiancee using Remitlly. I know it is a nice chunk, but I am ok with it. I trust her and it helps the family live a better life. I know how hard her mother and father work and receive such little pay and price for food/products are similar to the states. 

Now, I want to send a large chunk, $6000, for house that I am helping her parents buy. They are being kicked out of their home and looking for a new home nearby. Her father tell me for house they have to pay for it one payment ($10,000) and that is all. No monthly payments. This is a village in Taguig/Manila. It seems to be the common theme in the area, because all other houses they are looking at is one payment too. Is anyone familial with this concept of one payment?

My concerns are security:

Should I send over remitly? We have had no problems yet in smaller amounts. I am worried about sending a large amount that they will have to travel with, I don't want them to become targets, but I will have her cousin, father, and maybe uncle present for security purposes. Also, I may be able to get 54p to $1 rate. 

Should I send to her father's bank account? I have not made international wire transfers yet and don't know much about the expense of it or security of it.

Also, he wants to pay in person by cash with attorney present, I was hoping more like a check or something. I don't like the idea of carrying that much cash around.

Any advice or prior experience is much appreciated. 

Sending $6,000 or even more is easily done with Remitly.  I have my account setup to send $6,000 and I could have it changed to much more if I wanted.  It does require calling Remitly.  There is a button within your account to request the increase, this will get the ball rolling.   If your asawa's father has a bank account, yes have Remitly deposit there (I do this also)... much safer.

We have a home in Taguig, which is considered part of Metro Manila, it would be a small house for sure at $10k.  Paying in cash is not unusual, fairly common actually, especially for smaller amounts ($6k is smaller).  One payment is not unusual either.. cash sale .

Things to watch for;  1)  Make sure the deed for the land/house is in the name of the person selling the house/land, if not DON'T buy.  2) Make sure there are no liens on the land, they should be listed on a page of the deed, most land around Taguig is Torrens Titled, some are not.. this would require a trip to R-D (Registry of Deeds) which is now on the upper floor of Aura mall.  

Get P54 on the $1 .. in your dreams.   Prime is like 51.34 (this is cost to BUY dollars) at the moment, Remitly is currently P49.83

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=PHP&view=1D

Not sure I covered all your questions..

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hi OP! I believe the best way for you to do is to deposit the money directly to the seller's bank account via Xoom.

As for paying one time, if anyone of her sisters are working and are contributing to Pag-ibig, you can avoid this. They can apply for the housing loan thru Pag-ibig and then you can pay for it in terms/monthly ammortization. Just please be ready to pay processing fee and 20% of the property amount as they only allow you to loan 80% of the property value. Pag-ibig offers the lowest interest rate compared to banks.

OP, Taguig is full of propoerty that are acquired thru RIGHTS. Please make sure that the property they are buying are land for sale and not rights for sale. They cannot file for a loan if the original owners only have rights on the land.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.