Dinosaur2013

N-400 Filers @ New York City, Queens and Long Island Field Offices

2,615 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2023 at 4:11 PM, cquirion said:

NYC Federal Plaza interview update

My husband went for his interview this morning and was approved. Wanted to share his experience for anyone going into Federal Plaza.

There was no one in line when we arrived at 12pm. His interview was scheduled  for12:45pm so we arrived early. After passing security we went up to the 7th floor and my husband checked in. He was called in for his interview at 1pm. The interview was short; around 20 minutes.

Upon entering, he was sworn in and asked for his documents (green card, appointment notice etc). Then they started with the civics questions. He got 6 correct in a row. They then moved on to writing and reading. He was asked:

Reading: Where does the president live?

Writing: The President lives in the White House. 

He got both correct. They then moved on to the "How you ever ....." and then the affirmation questions. He was then asked to sign on the tablet. 

Once he signed everything, the official started to ask for documents to validate our relationship -- medical insurance, rent, bank statements, taxes, our daughter's birth certificate etc. For the medical insurance, the official wanted documentation but my husband only had the insurance card with him. My husband had all of the other documentation and the official accepted it.  The official asked how much we paid in rent. The official looked at all 4 years of our tax returns that we had printed out. I was glad that we had prepared all of the documents just in case.

By the time we got home, the case status was updated to approved / oath scheduled. The oath ceremony confirmation is available online already -- scheduled 1 month from now.  

Good luck all and thanks for sharing your experiences. It really helped us to prepare and feel confident. 

That is wonderful news! Congrats!!

Were you also allowed in the interview with him? And if yes, did they ask you anything or just him? 

Hi everyone, 

I finished my interview this morning in federal plaza (Queens applicant). Applied, Dec 31 2022; May 02 got notification for my interview which was today June 13. 

Pretty straightforward going in, checked in and made me wait. Since my I-751 was pending, I also took my husband with me. No issues getting him to the waiting room. When the Officer called my name, I asked if I need to bring my husband too, he said "not needed, but if you want to he can sit and watch". So he came in too. 

Before the interview started the officer told me that my I-751 is pending and my file is already in Queens Office; however, he is not authorized to work on I-751 so someone else will do the adjudication. He asked 6 civics question (name of VP, name of the president's party, why there are 50 stars in the flag, who do senators represent, and a few others which I forgot). Then asked some Yes/No questions. I had indicated "no" on the have you ever been cited question, but I had traffic tickets. I told him that and he said it was okay as long as I paid the fine. I told him i had indeed and he said okay; didn't check for proof or anything. At the end, he gave me the N-652 saying I passed the exam, and my application has been recommended for approval. However, he told me the Oath will only be scheduled once someone in the Queens office approves my I-751.

I had taken a lot of stuff with me, such as tax docs, latest mortgage statements etc, he wanted nothing. The interview lasted for less than an 15 minutes. 

Has anyone had similar experience, and if so, how long should I expect before my oath is scheduled? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, US_VJ said:

Hi everyone, 

I finished my interview this morning in federal plaza (Queens applicant). Applied, Dec 31 2022; May 02 got notification for my interview which was today June 13. 

Pretty straightforward going in, checked in and made me wait. Since my I-751 was pending, I also took my husband with me. No issues getting him to the waiting room. When the Officer called my name, I asked if I need to bring my husband too, he said "not needed, but if you want to he can sit and watch". So he came in too. 

Before the interview started the officer told me that my I-751 is pending and my file is already in Queens Office; however, he is not authorized to work on I-751 so someone else will do the adjudication. He asked 6 civics question (name of VP, name of the president's party, why there are 50 stars in the flag, who do senators represent, and a few others which I forgot). Then asked some Yes/No questions. I had indicated "no" on the have you ever been cited question, but I had traffic tickets. I told him that and he said it was okay as long as I paid the fine. I told him i had indeed and he said okay; didn't check for proof or anything. At the end, he gave me the N-652 saying I passed the exam, and my application has been recommended for approval. However, he told me the Oath will only be scheduled once someone in the Queens office approves my I-751.

I had taken a lot of stuff with me, such as tax docs, latest mortgage statements etc, he wanted nothing. The interview lasted for less than an 15 minutes. 

Has anyone had similar experience, and if so, how long should I expect before my oath is scheduled? 

Congratulations on the N-400.  That is a real bummer about the I-751.  Frankly, it's ridiculous that the officer "couldn't" adjudicate it as well.   That's just plain incompetence, in my book.  Hopefully, your I-751 will be processed soon.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, US_VJ said:

Hi everyone, 

Congrats on the successful interview today! From what I’ve read they usually approve the I-751 the next day and then schedule the oath, you’ll probably see it in your account by the end of the week would be my guess.

3 hours ago, US_VJ said:

Hi everyone, 

Hi guys, my status updated with the oath date for early July! The I-751 status is the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Became a citizen today in 26 Federal Plaza (NYC, Queens county applicant). We reached there 30 minutes prior to the oath ceremony. Those private contractors who do the security were quite chaotic. Once we were in (10 ish minutes), went upstairs and checked in. They took my green card and then asked me if anything had changed since the interview (which was a few weeks ago). Then they seated us all, around 20-30 people, and they made us take the oath. Once that was done, they called each one of us individually and gave our certificates. No videos, no frills; just plain and simple. Just a very straightforward process--I guess one could call it very NYC-ish! . Once the oath started, we were out in 10 minutes. Saw another group of people waiting outside for their oath. So it seems like they churn multiple sessions a day. Total time in Federal plaza was around an hour. 

They tell you to check your certificate for any errors before you leave. If you identify any errors, you can fix it on the same day for free; otherwise it's $600 for another certificate after you leave the building.

Also they allow visitors; although they are seated in a different part of the room. They tell you not to take pictures but people were doing it anyway.

My timeline:

Applied 30th December (Queens county)

Notication of Interview: 1 May for a mid-June date

Got the approved notice at the interview, and a few hours later in my USCIS account I-751 status was changed to approved and "a new green card was produced" (which I ended up receiving two weeks before Oath). Also the oath notice came in the USCIS account a few hours after the interview. It was like a 3 weeks gap between the interview and the oath.

All the best to folks who are still waiting, and I hope it goes fast! So so so glad to be done with USCIS!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I had my interview today at Federal Plaza as a 5-year lawful permanent resident, and I passed. I applied back in December 2022.

The officer was really nice and laid-back. We started with reading, writing, and civics questions. Then we quickly went through some yes and no questions, and she didn't ask for any definitions and then she told me I passed. The whole interview took less than 20 minutes. Right after leaving the building, I got notified that the Oath has been scheduled for next month.

Wishing good luck to everyone, and don't worry, you'll do great!"

A.

41 minutes ago, diezr.albert said:

Hi All,

I had my interview today at Federal Plaza as a 5-year lawful permanent resident, and I passed. I applied back in December 2022.

The officer was really nice and laid-back. We started with reading, writing, and civics questions. Then we quickly went through some yes and no questions, and she didn't ask for any definitions and then she told me I passed. The whole interview took less than 20 minutes. Right after leaving the building, I got notified that the Oath has been scheduled for next month.

Wishing good luck to everyone, and don't worry, you'll do great!"

A.

Congratulations, glad to hear you had a great interview!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

@Greencard-22

If I may ask (being in the same situation as you), how/when did you get the invitation to the oath ceremony?

Edited by harry.st

On 8/5/2023 at 7:03 PM, harry.st said:

@Greencard-22

If I may ask (being in the same situation as you), how/when did you get the invitation to the oath ceremony?

My interview was on a Friday, and the IO said he couldn’t make a decision on my case as of yet because he still had to go over my I-751 (which he had on his desk). He said it’d take maybe 2 weeks or so for a decision.

I logged into my USCIS account on Saturday night (the next day) and saw that my case was approved, and Oath had already been scheduled for 2 weeks away. 

A lot of others who also interviewed on the same day I did, also had their oath at the same time. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.