Dinosaur2013

N-400 Filers @ New York City, Queens and Long Island Field Offices

2,615 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Interview scheduled for tomorrow morning. Checked and re-checked our documents a hundred times but still convinced I've forgotten something! I'm sure it'll be fine, I've probably got way too much stuff to be honest but oh well! We have a pending 751 as well as the 400, so I will report back on if they interview for both, what they asked and what evidence they requested.

I-129F Sent........... ...................................25th January 2016

I-129F NOA1.............................................3rd February 2016

I-129F RFE................................................30th March 2016 *Missing Beneficiary's intent to marry letter

RFE Reply................................................13th April 2016

I-129F NOA2.............................................28th April 2016

NVC Received..........................................13th May 2016

Date Case #, IIN and BIN assigned..........17th May 2016

Sent to consulate....................................18th May 2016

DS-160 filled out......................................19th May 2016

Consulate received.................................26th May 2016

Packet 3 received....................................28th May 2016

Medical.....................................................11th July 2016

Interview...................................................27th July 2016 - Approved!

Entered USA............................................27th December 2016

Married.....................................................29th December 2016

AOS Filed.................................................6th January 2017

NOA..........................................................10th January 2017

Biometrics................................................7th March 2017

EAD/AP Approved....................................11th April 2017

EAD/AP Received....................................22nd April 2017

AOS Approved.........................................23rd June 2017 *Interview Waived

Greencard received..................................29th June 2017

Timeline
On 1/24/2023 at 9:40 AM, Markip1 said:

Interview scheduled for tomorrow morning. Checked and re-checked our documents a hundred times but still convinced I've forgotten something! I'm sure it'll be fine, I've probably got way too much stuff to be honest but oh well! We have a pending 751 as well as the 400, so I will report back on if they interview for both, what they asked and what evidence they requested.

So, my interview was this morning at the Brooklyn office. My wife came with me, they allowed her into the building but kept her in the waiting room as the officer didn’t want to speak with her.

I did the N-400 interview alone, passed all tests answered a few very basic questions about my name, DOB, job, travel history. I was then told that as the I-751 was being waived I couldn’t be formally approved on the spot and that they needed to do some work in my case behind the scenes to close it all out. They said I shouldn’t worry as I should expect to hear from USCIS in a few days time to be scheduled for an oath ceremony.

I spent ages assembling all our documents and the officer didn’t ask to see anything at all other than my Green Card. It actually took longer to get into the building that it did to be interviewed! Feels very strange to think that this process is very nearly over.

Edited by Markip1
Spelling

I-129F RFE................................................30th March 2016 *Missing Beneficiary's intent to marry letter

Interview...................................................27th July 2016 - Approved!

AOS Approved.........................................23rd June 2017 *Interview Waived

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 10:21 AM, LI Filer said:

Long Island (Nassau County) filer here:

Online application: 11/4/2022

Biometrics reuse notice: 11/9/2022

Interview scheduled notice: 12/23/2022 (Interview on 1/31/2023 in Holtsville, NY)

Was a pleasant surprise to see it move relatively fast. 

Update on my filing:

Interview scheduled notice: 12/23/2022 (Interview on 1/31/2023 in Holtsville, NY)

Interview: 1/31/2023 in Holtsville, NY (Long Island) office

Approved: We recommended approval; submitted for quality review: 1/31/2023 (status updated immediately after interview)

Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled: 1/31/2023

Waiting on oath ceremony to be scheduled (with a name change on my original application). Was surprised to see this notice, as I passed all of the tests, but I received an expected "A decision cannot be made yet about your application" notice, due to prior arrests in the past (long time ago and final outcomes were just violations/disorderly conduct). Both IO and my attorney mentioned that all cases with prior arrests take more time to process (1-3 months), so wouldn't be surprised if my "oath will be scheduled" changes, but for now, waiting on either oath to be scheduled and/or final approval. 

Hardly anyone on line to enter building...was able to enter 25 minute prior to my appointment, checked in, and was called 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time.

IO was business-like but friendly enough, though very poker-faced. Ran through civics test (basic enough questions), simple reading of one sentence, and writing the response on the tablet, bunch of yes/no questions, and then asked if I had been arrested before. Answered yes, and when asked what happened? Just replied it was a long time ago (26 years ago) and that they were disorderly conducts (a violation), produced official court dispositions, which she took and just moved on. All in all, was done in about 10 minutes, said I passed but because of the arrests, it has to be approved by a supervisor, and that there's no way to tell how long it would take. 

After getting in the car, checked USCIS website and it was already updated to approved and oath ceremony will be scheduled, so not sure if that was in error, just a temporary update, or whether it was already fully approved, but will keep checking to see if I receive an oath ceremony date. 

Just now, LI Filer said:

Update on my filing:

Approved: We recommended approval; submitted for quality review: 1/31/2023 (status updated immediately after interview)

Waiting on oath ceremony to be scheduled (with a name change on my original application). Was surprised to see this notice, as I passed all of the tests, but I received an expected "A decision cannot be made yet about your application" notice, due to prior arrests in the past (long time ago and final outcomes were just violations/disorderly conduct). Both IO and my attorney mentioned that all cases with prior arrests take more time to process (1-3 months), so wouldn't be surprised if my "oath will be scheduled" changes, but for now, waiting on either oath to be scheduled and/or final approval. 

Hardly anyone on line to enter building...was able to enter 25 minute prior to my appointment, checked in, and was called 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time.

IO was business-like but friendly enough, though very poker-faced. Ran through civics test (basic enough questions), simple reading of one sentence, and writing the response on the tablet, bunch of yes/no questions, and then asked if I had been arrested before. Answered yes, and when asked what happened? Just replied it was a long time ago (26 years ago) and that they were disorderly conducts (a violation), produced official court dispositions, which she took and just moved on. All in all, was done in about 10 minutes, said I passed but because of the arrests, it has to be approved by a supervisor, and that there's no way to tell how long it would take. 

After getting in the car, checked USCIS website and it was already updated to approved and oath ceremony will be scheduled, so not sure if that was in error, just a temporary update, or whether it was already fully approved, but will keep checking to see if I receive an oath ceremony date. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention, my attorney (who did not attend the interview with me), advised that I should take additional passport photos (in addition to the submitted ones for the original application), and sure enough, the IO asked if I had additional passport photos, which I did, so I handed them over. 

Not sure if there would have been a delay or issue if I didn't have backup, additional passport photos, but I was super glad that I did. 

I also took the following documents with me, though was only asked to see green card, driver's license, selective service registration info, and original court dispositions with seal (for prior arrests):

Valid and current foreign passport, green card, driver's license, selective service registration, original court dispositions with seal, 5 years of tax returns, utility bill, marriage certificate (my naturalization was not based on marriage but took it anyway), and current W2 paystub. 

I was dressed business casual (V-neck sweater over a button-up sweater, dark washed jeans, and dressy/casual sneakers), and I felt this was very appropriate compared to other applicants and immigration officers, who were mostly all dressed similar. 

Hope this is helpful, and let me know if any specific questions. 

On 2/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, LI Filer said:

Update on my filing:

Exactly 8 days after my interview (2/1), received a notice today (online) that the oath ceremony has been scheduled for March 10th at the Central Islip, NY court house. I had requested a name change with my initial application (and confirmed by the IO during my interview), and since it'll a judicial ceremony, I should be all set. 

Again, surprised at the speed of everything during the process. It looks like I'll be done in exactly four months from start to oath. 

Reading the forum, looks like no NYC based applicant has been  newly scheduled for interviews in Jan/Feb? As in interviews are being held in 2023, but these were scheduled in late 2022. However, I haven't seen new interviews scheduled for NYC folks in Jan/Feb--with interviews in March.Apr? Hopefully things aren't slowing down this year. 

Edited by US_VJ

Timeline
1 hour ago, US_VJ said:

Reading the forum, looks like no NYC based applicant has been  newly scheduled for interviews in Jan/Feb? As in interviews are being held in 2023, but these were scheduled in late 2022. However, I haven't seen new interviews scheduled for NYC folks in Jan/Feb--with interviews in March.Apr? Hopefully things aren't slowing down this year. 

That's certainly my case. Status updated to "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled" on February 1st, but no movement since. I'd be interested to know if anyone from January has had their oath ceremony scheduled yet.

Timeline

Just had my oath ceremony notification for Brooklyn - Tuesday March 14th.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Filed 12/31/22

Interview notice 03/01/23 (interview beginning of April at Federal Plaza)

Almost there!

FILING FROM NY
FILING UNDER F2B 245i PD 05/2017
09/30/2016    I-693 MEDICAL EXAM
11/17/2016    PACKET MAILED OUT VIA USPS PRIORITY (I-485, I-485 SUPA, I-765, I-131) FILED USING EARLY DATES
11/21/2016    PACKET DELIVERED TO USCIS

11/23/2016    CASE RECEIVED BY USCIS
11/25/2016    I-485, I-485 SUPA CHECKS CASHED
11/26/2016    3 EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS (3 CASE #s)
12/02/2016    3 NOAs IN MAIL (I-485, I-765, I-131)
12/09/2016    BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT NOTICE
12/23/2016    BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT DATE (COMPLETED)
02/07/2017    SR (77 DAYS SINCE 11/21/2016)
02/16/2017    SR EMAIL RESPONSE. CASE UNDER REVIEW
02/21/2017    CARD IN PRODUCTION
02/24/2017    CARD MAILED OUT
02/28/2017    RECEIVED  COMBO CARD (99 DAYS FROM FILING)

05/08/2017    WE ARE SCHEDULING YOUR INTERVIEW
06/18/2017    I-485 SR RAISED - NO RESPONSE FOR 60 DAYS
08/07/2017    I-485 SR #2 RAISED
08/16/2017    I-485 SR #2 REPLY APPLICATION IS PENDING AN INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT
09/18/2017    I-485 INTERVIEW SCHEDULED ON 10/24/2017 EMAIL NOTICE  + IN MAIL
09/29/2017    I-693 MEDICAL EXAM UPDATED
10/24/2017    I-485 INTERVIEW, GIVEN 120 DAYS FOR DECISION LETTER
12/22/2017    ONLINE SR REGARDING INTERVIEW DECISION
12/23/2017    I-765, I-131 /AP RENEWAL PACKET SENT
01/03/2018    2 NOAs IN MAIL (I-765, I-131) /AP RENEWAL
01/09/2018    INFO PASS AT FEDERAL PLAZA
02/12/2018    REPLY TO ONLINE SR REGARDING INTERVIEW. STILL UNDER REVIEW ALLOW ANOTHER 120 DAYS
02/21/2018    120 DAYS SINCE INTERVIEW. FILED INQUIRY WITH STATE SENATOR
02/28/2018    SENATOR'S OFFICE MAILED OUT THE INQUIRY TO USCIS
03/09/2018    CARD BEING PRODUCED AND WILL BE MAILED OUT

03/12/2018    CASE APPROVED

03/13/2018    GC MAILED OUT

03/16/2018    GC IN HAND

12/30/2023    N-400 FILED

04/20/2023    N-400 INTERVIEW

06/05/2023    OATH CEREMONY & PASSPORT APP MAILED OUT

06/07/2023    PASSPORT APP RECEIVED

08/07/2023    PASSPORT IN HAND

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, US_VJ said:

Great--congratulations. Would you mind letting us know which borough you're applying from? 

ty. Westchester county.

FILING FROM NY
FILING UNDER F2B 245i PD 05/2017
09/30/2016    I-693 MEDICAL EXAM
11/17/2016    PACKET MAILED OUT VIA USPS PRIORITY (I-485, I-485 SUPA, I-765, I-131) FILED USING EARLY DATES
11/21/2016    PACKET DELIVERED TO USCIS

11/23/2016    CASE RECEIVED BY USCIS
11/25/2016    I-485, I-485 SUPA CHECKS CASHED
11/26/2016    3 EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS (3 CASE #s)
12/02/2016    3 NOAs IN MAIL (I-485, I-765, I-131)
12/09/2016    BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT NOTICE
12/23/2016    BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT DATE (COMPLETED)
02/07/2017    SR (77 DAYS SINCE 11/21/2016)
02/16/2017    SR EMAIL RESPONSE. CASE UNDER REVIEW
02/21/2017    CARD IN PRODUCTION
02/24/2017    CARD MAILED OUT
02/28/2017    RECEIVED  COMBO CARD (99 DAYS FROM FILING)

05/08/2017    WE ARE SCHEDULING YOUR INTERVIEW
06/18/2017    I-485 SR RAISED - NO RESPONSE FOR 60 DAYS
08/07/2017    I-485 SR #2 RAISED
08/16/2017    I-485 SR #2 REPLY APPLICATION IS PENDING AN INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT
09/18/2017    I-485 INTERVIEW SCHEDULED ON 10/24/2017 EMAIL NOTICE  + IN MAIL
09/29/2017    I-693 MEDICAL EXAM UPDATED
10/24/2017    I-485 INTERVIEW, GIVEN 120 DAYS FOR DECISION LETTER
12/22/2017    ONLINE SR REGARDING INTERVIEW DECISION
12/23/2017    I-765, I-131 /AP RENEWAL PACKET SENT
01/03/2018    2 NOAs IN MAIL (I-765, I-131) /AP RENEWAL
01/09/2018    INFO PASS AT FEDERAL PLAZA
02/12/2018    REPLY TO ONLINE SR REGARDING INTERVIEW. STILL UNDER REVIEW ALLOW ANOTHER 120 DAYS
02/21/2018    120 DAYS SINCE INTERVIEW. FILED INQUIRY WITH STATE SENATOR
02/28/2018    SENATOR'S OFFICE MAILED OUT THE INQUIRY TO USCIS
03/09/2018    CARD BEING PRODUCED AND WILL BE MAILED OUT

03/12/2018    CASE APPROVED

03/13/2018    GC MAILED OUT

03/16/2018    GC IN HAND

12/30/2023    N-400 FILED

04/20/2023    N-400 INTERVIEW

06/05/2023    OATH CEREMONY & PASSPORT APP MAILED OUT

06/07/2023    PASSPORT APP RECEIVED

08/07/2023    PASSPORT IN HAND

Timeline
22 hours ago, FriendlyUser said:

I filed N-400 in the middle of December 2022 (Brooklyn, Kings County). Still no update on an interview. I'm getting a little nervous as I see that a lot of folks in other states are moving forward much faster. 

I would try to not get too worried just yet. For comparison, I also applied through the Brooklyn office, application was submitted on 9/6/2022, and received notification on 12/15/2022 that my interview was scheduled for 1/25/2023. - making it a little over three months to receive the notification and four months for the actual interview. My oath ceremony is next Tuesday, so that came nearly seven weeks after the interview. So,  for the whole thing it was six months-ish from application to ceremony. Not bad considering my ROC was in limbo and only got approved after my N-400 interview.

Obviously each case is unique, but if your case is on a similar pace to mine then your interview notification would come in later this month, and your interview would be April/May with an oath ceremony June/July.

On 2/8/2023 at 3:44 PM, LI Filer said:

Exactly 8 days after my interview (2/1), received a notice today (online) that the oath ceremony has been scheduled for March 10th at the Central Islip, NY court house. I had requested a name change with my initial application (and confirmed by the IO during my interview), and since it'll a judicial ceremony, I should be all set. 

Again, surprised at the speed of everything during the process. It looks like I'll be done in exactly four months from start to oath. 

I had my oath ceremony at the Federal courthouse in Central Islip, NY on Friday, 3/10 (just over four months from my initial online application), which was scheduled for 9am.

Arrived into the spacious parking lot at 8:20am, and was allowed into the courthouse. Virtually no one on line to pass through security, so it took less than 3 minutes, though you not only have to turn off your phone, you also need to surrender your phone for them to hold onto until you exit later on with a claim ticket (I say ticket but it was actually a small block of wood with a number on it).

Led upstairs into one of the courtrooms, and they seated the oath takers in the order which they arrived into the courtroom. Each chair had two letter-sized envelopes...one letter from the President, and another packet with the oath printed and voting information. Families had to wait downstairs, until the actual oath was taken. Most of the folks were dressed professionally...most were business casual, about 5-6 men in full suits and ties (I wore a full suit and button up shirt but no tie), with a handful of people very casual in jeans and sweaters and sneakers. 

My own rough count showed around 120 applicants or so, and around 9am, they started lining up folks by one clerk (around 10 folks at a time), and taking everyone's green card and asking them some basic questions on the oath ceremony letter (have you traveled outside of the US, have you had any trouble with the police, etc.). Then they had you get into two separate lines with two different clerks to check the actual naturalization certificate for errors, made you sign in, and it was also where they handed you the certified name change form. The process was organized, if a bit slow. With approximately 120 applicants to process this way, it took almost 2 hours to get through. Surprisingly, about 7-8 people were no-shows, for whatever reason. 

Finally, about 15 minutes before 11am, the families were allowed into the courtroom, the judge was finally called, and he administered the oath and made a very short speech. This lasted not more than 5 minutes, and that was that. The judge left, and no videos were shown or anything. And then the clerks called out each name one-by-one, and you were handed your naturalization certificate, at which point you could leave.

Walking out of the courthouse, it was exactly around 11am, so I was there for two hours total, with the vast majority of that time just waiting. Without a phone or anything else to do, you just sit and wait (and count, lol) and people watch. I'd suggest taking some reading material if you get bored easily. 

I had made a passport appointment for my local USPS office at 1pm, so the timing worked out perfectly. At the courthouse itself, there was no place to apply for a passport, though inside the courtroom, they were registering people to vote. That concludes my citizenship journey, and again, I was surprised at the speed of the entire process. All that's left to do is wait for my passport (expedited), and I'll be done done. Thanks all for your experiences and advice. Below is my updated and final timeline:

Oath Ceremony Has Been Scheduled Notice: 2/8/2023

Oath Ceremony Scheduled at Central Islip: 3/10/2023

Oath Ceremony Took Place & Received Naturalization Certificate at Central Islip Federal Courthouse: 3/10/2023

Timeline

So, I'm a citizen! I attended my ceremony yesterday at Federal Plaza (Brooklyn office - Floor 8 ). It was a 10am start and we were out of the building by around 11:30am. Big shout out to the security staff at the front of the building, who were as ever sparkling in their insolent effrontery and rudeness. I assume it must be in their training that if someone doesn't speak English too well, screaming what you are trying to say to them louder and louder directly in their face will help them to understand what you mean. Never having to deal with these goons again was a large motivation for applying for citizenship to be honest, and I am glad to see the back of them.

The ceremony experience was all very straightforward, and somewhat anti-climactic to be honest. The ceremony was basically conducted in a waiting room. If you've been to the USCIS office at Federal Plaza before and waited in a hall with a ticket in your hand watching the TV screens to announce your number, then it's basically that room. There were no videos to watch, no speeches were given, no anthem was played, there wasn't even a US flag in sight. I felt overdressed in trousers, shirt and tie, as most people were dressed very casually. There were probably between 50 and 75 other people there, and interestingly it appeared that they were doing same day interview/oath ceremonies for some people in attendance, although they were taken to another room for their oath and were not involved in our ceremony beyond having their documents checked in the main room.

The process went something like this:

• Everyone had line up to have their form checked, confirm a few questions about anything that had occurred since their interview, and hand in their Green Card (they also took my EAD/AP card but they didn't seem to bothered about those).
  • They then had you check your naturalization certificate for any errors. If there was an error they would correct it on the spot at no cost for you, but if you left without requesting the change then you were on the hook for the full cost of a replacement at a later date. They took the certificate back once I had confirmed all the details, and they handed me two envelopes - one was a welcome letter from the President, the other contained information about what to do next as a US Citizen, a passport application form, and a copy of the constitution. They also gave me a small American flag.
  • After you had been up to the window to do the above you were told to sit back down again.
  • It took a while to check everyone in, but we were allowed to use phones or read a book so the time passed pretty quickly. Once everyone was checked in, an officer stood at the front, read the oath for us to recite, then told us to sit back down again. Officer said she had information available if we wanted it about applying for jobs at USCIS now that we were citizens, which got a few wry laughs from the crowd.
  • She then called us up one by one to the window to collect our certificates and we were free to go.

If anyone has any questions about the day feel free to ask. Before the event, I was mainly curious about what people would wear, and if they would allow family in to see the ceremony, and the answers to those questions were 1) wear pretty much whatever you like and 2) yes, my wife was allowed in no questions asked at all. I was also interested in the actual process of the ceremony, but now I realize there was very little to wonder about. It was all very straightforward and easy to navigate, but it had all the excitement and romance of the easiest trip to the DMV you've ever had. I'm over the moon to be at the end of this process, and can now fully embrace life in the US, but it would have been nice to have experienced a little bit of pageantry and occasion while taking the final step. That might just be the British person in me talking though. We love a drawn out ceremony.

The rest of the day was lovely though, my wife and I had lunch, and then wandered around Manhattan in the sleet and snow. Our wedding day was beset by awful weather so it felt like completing the circle for the naturalization day to bring more of the same. I think it'll take a few days to sink in that we are done with all the admin and fees and intrusion, but already it feels great to know that life here will now be much more straightforward, and that I can now become fully involved in all the rights and responsibilities that come with being a citizen.

Thanks to anyone who has offered help and guidance over the years, it's genuinely appreciated. Good luck all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.