Maria&Derrick

We never applied for the GC and going to divorce. What are the consequences?

93 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi.

So I came here on K-1 visa and we got married before my visa expired, but we never applied for the Green Card and are going to divorce because it's not working out as we expected. It's been about 6 months since we got married. What are the consequences of that? Because basically, it means that I stayed here illegally as we never applied for the documents. Will I be banned from entering US again?

You were deportable at any time and will still be. 

If you leave the US you already have a ban, not sure how long it will be. Even though you got married with the K1 you never AOS

Is he willing to send the AOS papers right now?

This is why it is better to do a spousal visa. A lot of US citizens sponsoring K1s end up being real pieces of work and they leave their significant other hanging. It is unacceptable! 

Edited by Coco8

Well, you cannot do AoS through any other US citizen.

So your options are to either be in the US illegally or go back home.

If you are out of status for over 180 days (but less than a year), you will have a 3 year ban to come back to the USA.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

51 minutes ago, f f said:

that would be just to get a GC and would be fraud. 

Their marriage was supposed to be bona fide and he wants a divorce 6 months after they got married. This sounds like someone pretty petty that basically does not care about the other person. It would have been fraud if they had applied for a K1 and gotten married for the GC. That is not the case. 

Edited by Coco8

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Maria&Derrick said:

Hi.

So I came here on K-1 visa and we got married before my visa expired, but we never applied for the Green Card and are going to divorce because it's not working out as we expected. It's been about 6 months since we got married. What are the consequences of that? Because basically, it means that I stayed here illegally as we never applied for the documents. Will I be banned from entering US again?

I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't work out :( 

Well, I'm from Canada which might be different, but when I entered the US on the K1 visa, I asked the customers officers if things didn't work out, can i still come to the US to visit / go shopping / travel. They said yes, absolutely. 

But of course, that means you need to follow the rules and go back home as soon as you're able to. Then if you want to come back as a visitor in the future, they might interview you and you can tell them the truth. They will be glad you are honest and followed the rules.

Edited by amicablebride

19 minutes ago, amicablebride said:

I'm so sorry to hear that things didn't work out :( 

Well, I'm from Canada which might be different, but when I entered the US on the K1 visa, I asked the customers officers if things didn't work out, can i still come to the US to visit / go shopping / travel. They said yes, absolutely. 

But of course, that means you need to follow the rules and go back home as soon as you're able to. Then if you want to come back as a visitor in the future, they might interview you and you can tell them the truth. They will be glad you are honest and followed the rules.

Yeah, big difference between marriage not working out and then having an overstay or no overstay.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are overstay so the only legal path right now is staying married, working things out and AOS with your current husband.

If you decide to seperate you will get a BAN from the USA! it will be 3 years, but really it will be a lifetime ban because of your overstay!!!

This is why i think the CR1 is better! because now you have no status iin american and you can ONLY get your greencard from the person that you came here on the K1 with.

if you decide to stay, you will be here illegally with no other way to get a greencard even if you meet a new man.  

i suggest you try to work out your marriage and petition for the greencard!

4 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Their marriage was supposed to be bona fide and he wants a divorce 6 months after they got married. This sounds like someone pretty petty that basically does not care about the other person. It would have been fraud if they had applied for a K1 and gotten married for the GC. That is not the case. 

This is awful presumptuous of you. In the OP's original post she said we will divorce, it is not working out as we planned.

5 hours ago, xyz12345 said:

fyi from a 2016 post. Still have to see a more recent separate post though.

http://asianjournal.com/immigration/k-1-fiancee-adjusting-status-after-a-separation-or-divorce/

By the way, nobody commented on this link. The link says that people on K1 can AOS if they have proof of bona fide marriage even after divorce. 

So I'm not sure if saying OP has to leave is the correct advice. 

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.