alleyezonmi

HELP! Airline won't let beneficiary buy one-way ticket to US!!

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

According to what law? If this was true why can non citizens on visas buy one way tickets?

I work in aviation so i am speaking from that perspective. And i know for a fact that only us citizens and residents can purchases one way tickets. I am saying that if the airline refuses a k1 visa holder they have that right to. Not all airlines are aware that such a visa is a one way entry to the usa to then adjust status after marriage. I don't see the big deal in just purchasing a round trip if the airlune says no we won't sell you a one way ticket. I think people often over analyse situation when a clear and logical alternative is steering them right in the face. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MzJan said:

I work in aviation so i am speaking from that perspective. And i know for a fact that only us citizens and residents can purchases one way tickets. I am saying that if the airline refuses a k1 visa holder they have that right to. Not all airlines are aware that such a visa is a one way entry to the usa to then adjust status after marriage. I don't see the big deal in just purchasing a round trip if the airlune says no we won't sell you a one way ticket. I think people often over analyse situation when a clear and logical alternative is steering them right in the face. 

So what law?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

So what law?

Visit travel.state.gov and peruse the website there you will find all information required. When in doubt contact the relevant department to have the issue explained.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

So what law?

Yes, and from what countries?  Because I've purchased one way tickets to the U.S. from Canada numerous times.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 minutes ago, MzJan said:

Visit travel.state.gov and peruse the website there you will find all information required. When in doubt contact the relevant department to have the issue explained.

You're referencing a law. Which law? As far as I know travel.state.gov only tells you of you need a visa or not. Doesn't, as far as I know, mention any airline laws about not letting people buy one way ticket. So what law are you referring to?

years ago, I purchased a one-way ticket when I was on an F1 student visa, because cost-wise it made more sense to buy future tickets from American websites than from Dutch ones. I had 0 problems. I went through one of the student travel agencies though, so perhaps that made a difference. Have him check Google flights, there's a ton of airlines and they give you date tips or alternate airports that are cheaper.

1 hour ago, MzJan said:

Please refer to the CBP Airlines guide I referenced earlier. Return is required only for VWP.  Plenty of Canadians and visa holders purchase one way tickets.

Airlines are private companies and are free to put whatever restrictions in place, however by law there's no requirement for return ticket for people not traveling on VWP.  Cheers to another aviation professional (though 

on the regulatory side here... Not as exciting lol)

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
9 hours ago, MzJan said:

So not true at all. 

Filed: Timeline

Although it was nearly 30 years ago my wife came here on Viasa on a one way ticket. I am the one who bought it. No one said anything or asked her about it in Houston. The only reason she went on Viasa is she didnt want to mess with Miami. This was before CO started flying non stop to Rio.

Also keep in mind the cost of the ticket can be considered moving expense and possibly deductible for tax purposes

On 7/7/2017 at 9:13 AM, MzJan said:

I do not think you work for airlines cause a airline employee knows what words to use where and the correct one used, steering is different from staring u in the face

While it has been said, I will reiterate. You do not have to purchase a round trip on a K1 visa. Truthfully, you can purchase 2 one-way tickets if a person so chooses (I do it all the time when I go to visit my fiance in Jamaica). And while I'm the USC, I was still required to purchase my return ticket before boarding the plane to go see him in Jamaica; and that's with me having a US passport because I have to show intent that I will be coming back home to the US. On a K1, you do not have to show intent on returning back to your country, because of the intent to marry the USC.

It is only mandatory to have purchased a return ticket when you are not a resident of the country you're traveling to. HOWEVER, because a K1 is only valid for a one-time entry, if you purchase your one-way ticket online (cheaptickets.com; expedia.com. kayak.com, etc.) all you have to do when you arrive at the airport is make sure you have your boarding pass along with your passport/K1 visa shown in the passport which is enough proof that you are traveling to the US with the purpose to marry and immigrate thereafter.

But if you want to purchase the round trip to avoid confusion, feel free to do so and just follow the previous advice that others have already given.

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.