MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Somalia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rosepetal3333 said:

This usually happens when the case is in AP for more than a year. Dont do anything yourself. Wait for the embassy to tell you. When his visa is ready to be issued then the embassy will tell u to fill out ds 260 again. How long have u been in AP? 

Thanks for replying. We have been in AP since Jan 2018. So it’s been a year. Hopefully, this is good sign that his case is moving. 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:12 PM, joedib6 said:

Hello again everyone,

I had my interview on the 5th of february 2019. I was asked to submit DS-5535 by email. I filled it and sent it as a word document the 6th of february at 3.10PM.

It's been almost two weeks, and the case update on CEAC still shows 05-02-2019 (Day of interview). 

Did they miss my email? Should I resend the form just to be sure that they received it?

Hello Joe, 

You can follow up with them after 1 week, you can call the call center of the embassy to ask for an update.

But usually they take time to reply and check the cases.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Rami91 said:

If I’m visiting my fiancé! Can I go to the embassy and ask them regarding my fiancé’ Visa? We’ve been in ap since April 26 which is interview date. They also asked us for the forms-5355 and we emailed it to them back. Thanks for the in advance 

US embassies are open for U.S. citizens for passport issues or emergencies for an immigration question you are bound to get the same generic response you get on line (if you are even seen at all).

On September 20th 2018, my fiancee, with whom I have a child(who has US citizenship and a US passport), had her interview for K-1 visa and K-2 for her daughter(from  previous marriage) at the US Embassy in MOSCOW. I was present for the interview, and She was given verbal approval for her visa at the end of the interview. The consular officer took the passports. We were told to wait 1-2 weeks and then we would receive the passports with visas in the mail. Within 24 hours we received an email from the embassy that we needed to submit form DS-5535, which we did four days later. 5 months later our case is still in Administrative Processing. We were approved every step of the way in the visa process, met every burden of proof regarding finances and the legitimacy of our relationship, and our medical examination had no irregularities.On December 21,2018, the Embassy returned the passports, ostensibly so that we could "travel' over the holidays, but they did not include instruction as to how to resend them to the Embassy.  Our lawyer has made half a dozen inquiries to the embassy, most of which went unanswered. I live in TEXAS. I have contacted my state Senator, who made a generic information request, never informing us of the results. However, I was able to later learn that he was simply told that the case is in AP. I then contacted my local Congressman, who also made an inquiry on our behalf. He received a more detailed note from the Embassy, but the information was essentially the same, that the case was in AP. My attorney has now suggested that I appear at the Congressman's office, with photos and a description of our case and the hardships caused by the unwarranted delays in adjudication, and to try to get a Congressional staffer to persuade the Congressman to take a personal interest in our case and to make a more personalized inquiry. 

11 minutes ago, abrahamlayman said:

On September 20th 2018, my fiancee, with whom I have a child(who has US citizenship and a US passport), had her interview for K-1 visa and K-2 for her daughter(from  previous marriage) at the US Embassy in MOSCOW. I was present for the interview, and She was given verbal approval for her visa at the end of the interview. The consular officer took the passports. We were told to wait 1-2 weeks and then we would receive the passports with visas in the mail. Within 24 hours we received an email from the embassy that we needed to submit form DS-5535, which we did four days later. After learning what the purpose of DS-5535 is (potential threat to US national security?!), I am baffled as to why such scrutiny should be applied to my fiance, a 28 year old make-up artist from a small town in Russia, with no questionable social media history, and certainly no links to any groups that might be deemed dangerous. 5 months later our case is still in Administrative Processing. We were approved every step of the way in the visa process, met every burden of proof regarding finances and the legitimacy of our relationship, and our medical examinations had no irregularities.

On December 21,2018, the Embassy returned the passports, ostensibly so that we could "travel' over the holidays, but they did not include instruction as to how to resend them.  In the past several months, our lawyer has made half a dozen inquiries to the embassy, most of which went unanswered. I live in TEXAS. I have contacted my state Senator, who made a generic information request, never informing us of the results. However, I was able to later learn that he was simply told that the case is in AP. I then contacted my local Congressman, who also made an inquiry on our behalf. He received a more detailed note from the Embassy, but the information was essentially the same, that the case was in AP. My attorney has indicated that the Embassy is just "sitting" on our case and that they are not doing any real "processing." He now suggested that I appear at the Congressman's office, with photos and a description of our case and the hardships caused by the unwarranted delays in adjudication, and to try to get a Congressional staffer to persuade the Congressman to take a personal interest in our case and to make a more personalized inquiry. I am desperate to get a resolution in our case and be reunited with my family. 

Does anyone else have any experience with the MOSCOW (or other) embassy, or know why they might refuse to issue a judgement on such a case? Does anyone know why DS-5535 is being applied so arbitrarily? I have tried to describe our case in as much detail as possible. I would be grateful for any advice or recommendations on how we could proceed. Thanks very much for your attention.

Edited by abrahamlayman

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 hours ago, paki-guy said:

No one can expedite AP.  Your Fiancé will get visa by Feb 2020. Until then go back to your routine life. At that time embassy will e-mail or call your fiancé  and  ask for following items. I already sent  you a message with the reason for her AP.

1. New pics

2. New medical

3. Passport

can you light me brother  ,   so this  ds 5535    take 2 years for review ,,,    what the reasons  if you dont mind to tell me 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Munazza said:

Hi everyone.. 

When you are not getting replies from embassy nor any case update  since last two months it's happening with my son,s case 😔. What does it mean??? 

How often do you get updates?

Are they are their own or through inquires?

Have you had a Senator or Congressman involved?   

This month our case only updated because of inquiries one I made through the web site and one from my senator.  It's so frustrating.

1 minute ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

How often do you get updates?

Are they are their own or through inquires?

Have you had a Senator or Congressman involved?   

This month our case only updated because of inquiries one I made through the web site and one from my senator.  It's so frustrating.

Only when we inquire.. No update ever we see by itself.. No I didn't contact any senator.. Just waiting, it's been 13 months almost. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Munazza said:

Only when we inquire.. No update ever we see by itself.. No I didn't contact any senator.. Just waiting, it's been 13 months almost. 

My senator always gets a response in about a day.   It takes a week if I inquire.   You've been waiting a long time I would see about getting the petitioner to contact the senator in your area.  I have seen where they stop answering inquiries but will answer the senator.  I don't know if it means anything is wrong or they just give up on answering after so many inquires. 

I would not wish AP on my worst enemy...(well maybe my worst by not any normal enemy).    

Hello Everyone, 

My wife's case has been in AP since February 14th, 2018 (Interview Date). I normally check the status of our case which still says "Administrative Processing." Recently I logged into our account where we submitted DS-260. Under IV Application section it says "Re-Opened". In detail it says " The IV Application (form DS-260) has been reopened for corrections. Once you have made your changes, please re-submit DS-260". 

I am not sure how long it has been open. I have not received any e-mail from NVC - Islamabad to re-submit DS-260. Has anyone else seen this? Should I contact the embassy before we submit the DS-260? 

Thanks for your help!

Umar and Sana

13 minutes ago, Umar - NVC ISB said:

Hello Everyone, 

My wife's case has been in AP since February 14th, 2018 (Interview Date). I normally check the status of our case which still says "Administrative Processing." Recently I logged into our account where we submitted DS-260. Under IV Application section it says "Re-Opened". In detail it says " The IV Application (form DS-260) has been reopened for corrections. Once you have made your changes, please re-submit DS-260". 

I am not sure how long it has been open. I have not received any e-mail from NVC - Islamabad to re-submit DS-260. Has anyone else seen this? Should I contact the embassy before we submit the DS-260? 

Thanks for your help!

Umar and Sana

I have seen this before with many cases. This happens when ur case has been in AP for a year. Dont fill it out unless the embassy tells you. When your visa is ready then the embassy will tell you to fill it if needed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.