Willallen25

My Fiancee Was Refused a K1 Visa

47 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I'm saying that they're trying to see if that's the case.

That's pretty much an assumption you just made. I believe that OP's fiance probably isn't working and he is supporting her. It may well be that she said so at the interview. So the receipts would show a tighter relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Just now, Transborderwife said:

I'm saying that they're trying to see if that's the case.

Oh okay. I guess to me that doesn't make much sense considering we file an affidavit confirming that we will be their financial support. Obviously we are going to (in most case) provide for them financially. So it seems contradiction that they would consider money transfers as evidence of the USC being used for money when the USC is the one saying they will support them financially. Most working class people in India make much less than $300 USD per month and that would be good for most, so obviously I will be the main financial support with this process. I was always thinking our money transfers (very few and small amounts) would actually help because it shows proof of a financial support within our relationship. 

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, KozmicBlues said:

Oh okay. I guess to me that doesn't make much sense considering we file an affidavit confirming that we will be their financial support. Obviously we are going to (in most case) provide for them financially. So it seems contradiction that they would consider money transfers as evidence of the USC being used for money when the USC is the one saying they will support them financially. Most working class people in India make much less than $300 USD per month and that would be good for most, so obviously I will be the main financial support with this process. I was always thinking our money transfers (very few and small amounts) would actually help because it shows proof of a financial support within our relationship. 

You just need to search here on VJ alone to find some stories about how transfers turned into denials, especially when coming to high fraud countries.

Not to say Haiti is one, but it can be applied to many and also seen as a negative in others.

While you may support them and say it using the I-134, then you presumably would be married, so you are supporting a spouse.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, PhilLuv said:

That's pretty much an assumption you just made. I believe that OP's fiance probably isn't working and he is supporting her. It may well be that she said so at the interview. So the receipts would show a tighter relationship.

I've been on here a long time and have seen many cases.  When they're asking about money, they're usually looking to see two things 1) will the intending immigrant possibly be a drain on the welfare system and 2) are they using the USC for benefits and/or money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
24 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Money transfers don't show evidence of a relationship. People trying to commit immigration fraud can do it just as easily as those in a legitimate relationship. Financial commingling does (being on joint accounts, having bills together, etc.), but one-way money transfers don't.

The affidavit is for the public charge concern, not anything to do with fraud. I think you're looking at this only in the positive case - of course a real fiance/spouse would want to help out financially (and that's fine). But there's also the negative test that the COs will look for - a scammer using a USC. Try looking at it from both angles as the COs are there not only to issue the visa, but to protect the petitioner. One-way payments don't prove a relationship.

But yeah, just providing some support isn't an issue. But, for instance, sending 3x the average local salary every month may raise some concerns that it's not actually for just the purposes stated in the interview (I'm assuming the payments were mentioned in the interview because requesting receipts is not the norm). It's all about the details and context. If things check out, it should be fine.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I've only ever sent him small amounts and never because he asked. We're talking like $20-30 for special occasions like birthday's or because I wanted him to buy me some stuff to send back with mutual colleagues visiting my city haha. Definitely not something we would willingly disclose but if they requested bank statements I don't think we would have an issue since it's such small amounts and not often.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

6 minutes ago, KozmicBlues said:

Oh okay, that makes sense. I've only ever sent him small amounts and never because he asked. We're talking like $20-30 for special occasions like birthday's or because I wanted him to buy me some stuff to send back with mutual colleagues visiting my city haha. Definitely not something we would willingly disclose but if they requested bank statements I don't think we would have an issue since it's such small amounts and not often.

Yup, exactly. Shouldn't be an issue.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just to add, since the OP's fiancée wasn't denied but rather asked for missing supporting documents, the payments weren't a real issue either. The main point for this couple were not submitting enough primary evidence in support of the ongoing relationship at the interview.

Glad to hear, the chance was given to collect the evidence. Good Luck in the 2nd interview :)

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: Country:
Timeline

My guess is that the consular officer just suggested remittance receipts as additional proof of relationship that you could submit. I can't see why they would want to confirm specifically that money was sent (though maybe he stated you regularly said money and they want to confirm). 

Sometimes if I'm pretty sure that the relationship is legit but I'm hesitating a bit I'll tell the couple to submit more proof of relationship and give them options for things we accept. It's really just to see if they follow up. Some people never follow up and the case expires and gets sent back to USCIS. 

9 minutes ago, ConOfficer said:

My guess is that the consular officer just suggested remittance receipts as additional proof of relationship that you could submit. I can't see why they would want to confirm specifically that money was sent (though maybe he stated you regularly said money and they want to confirm). 

Sometimes if I'm pretty sure that the relationship is legit but I'm hesitating a bit I'll tell the couple to submit more proof of relationship and give them options for things we accept. It's really just to see if they follow up. Some people never follow up and the case expires and gets sent back to USCIS. 

My thought's exactly. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Honestly I sent her money several times, but I heard that you can bring receipts of money transfers, but you don't want to give the impression that the relationship is about money. To me I think it's pointless. She never said I gave her money, she never said I didn't either. So we will probably agree on maybe a few she can bring. Perhaps 3-5. 

As for the phone receipts. I'm assuming providing not just proof of the call, but how long and what time. That's my guess. Anyone have any thoughts?

Timeline
27 minutes ago, ConOfficer said:

Thanks a lot, this helps. But for phone receipts, I'm lost. Perhaps what I said in my last post? Proof of the time and duration of the call?

Timeline

Also my fiancee has a government job in Haiti. Any money I sent was the same as a fellow poster shared, because I wanted to. She has receipts so she will bring them. I will check for other support if those receipts, and give more detail for our phone conversations. Thank you all, loads of help. 

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
1 hour ago, Willallen25 said:

Also my fiancee has a government job in Haiti. Any money I sent was the same as a fellow poster shared, because I wanted to. She has receipts so she will bring them. I will check for other support if those receipts, and give more detail for our phone conversations. Thank you all, loads of help. 

good luck for next interview

Edited by v.b

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, Willallen25 said:

Honestly I sent her money several times, but I heard that you can bring receipts of money transfers, but you don't want to give the impression that the relationship is about money. To me I think it's pointless. She never said I gave her money, she never said I didn't either. So we will probably agree on maybe a few she can bring. Perhaps 3-5. 

As for the phone receipts. I'm assuming providing not just proof of the call, but how long and what time. That's my guess. Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes, they are probably wanting to see how often (and at what length) the two of you communicate. 

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.