kevlar

K1 VISA, now Pregnant can we get Married Prior to Approval

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

No it is visa fraud. They will be scrutinizedoing if they do this. Sorry if you think myou comment is rubbish but its how I feel. So go ahead get married right away then file for AOS.  But do not plan it, get married, the file bc that is fraud.

OP, please follow advice of seasoned members here at Visa Journey. Don't follow advice based on how one member feels. How he/she feels is not important.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

No it is visa fraud. They will be scrutinizedoing if they do this. Sorry if you think myou comment is rubbish but its how I feel. So go ahead get married right away then file for AOS.  But do not plan it, get married, the file bc that is fraud.

Who cares how you feel? It's all about the rules and policies, and how you feel has nothing to do with it.

OP, if you have no real reason to go back to Canada, then you can do this:
- Get married

- File for AOS, EAD, and AP (exact guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2)

Intention has nothing to do with how you entered at this point. You legally entered as a B2, and you would then be married to a USC spouse.

If you do have intentions to go back to Canada, you can either continue the K1 or you can marry, leave the U.S., and file for a CR1 / IR1 instead, exact guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

For both K1 and CR1 / IR1 applicants, yes you can visit while they're processing, HOWEVER you need to have strong ties back to Canada if you don't want to risk getting denied at the border (aka a job).

Ignore the posts who are saying you're committing immigration fraud, you are not.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

1 hour ago, zilchfox said:

Who cares how you feel? It's all about the rules and policies, and how you feel has nothing to do with it.

OP, if you have no real reason to go back to Canada, then you can do this:
- Get married

- File for AOS, EAD, and AP (exact guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2)

Intention has nothing to do with how you entered at this point. You legally entered as a B2, and you would then be married to a USC spouse.

If you do have intentions to go back to Canada, you can either continue the K1 or you can marry, leave the U.S., and file for a CR1 / IR1 instead, exact guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

For both K1 and CR1 / IR1 applicants, yes you can visit while they're processing, HOWEVER you need to have strong ties back to Canada if you don't want to risk getting denied at the border (aka a job).

Ignore the posts who are saying you're committing immigration fraud, you are not.

Correct. No fraud involved, given your situation.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Anybody say Marry stay and adjust!

Congrats.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
6 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Nope

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cruise77 said:

Ok so "technically" this is not legal.  However most people get away with the loophole.  Happy Trails!

What loophole?

Technically a legal and valid option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Cruise77 said:

Ok so "technically" this is not legal.  However most people get away with the loophole.  Happy Trails!

"technically" it is legal. Otherwise people wouldn't be getting AOS then ROC. 

8 hours ago, CubaAndChill said:

Isn't that visa fraud though?

How can some people come in on a tourist visa and get married then file for AOS and others have to go through the CR-1 visa? Is the CR-1 only if you marry overseas?

nop, reading what they wrote, they were preparing their K1 and something wonderful happened. so they decided to get marry before. she did not come with the intention to stay

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~As this thread is not about discussing whether AOS'ing is legal. It is now locked. The OP can start a new thread for questions related to the process they wish to begin.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.