matteo&John

K1- Same-Sex - Name Change in Texas after marriage - Very Confusing.

26 posts in this topic

I'm actually really glad I stumbled upon this post, as my husband (an immigrant) is in the process of getting his name legally changed to drop his second surname. When we talked to a woman from the SS office they made is sound like he would have no issue as long as he had the documentation that it was changed, but we do not have our EAD yet either, so looks like we will be stumped from this too!

I do still stand by my suggestion of getting a name in his previous name, however. (Assuming he is okay with holding it for a while) Just for the fact that people generally have a much easier time getting things set up when they have one. For example we could not add my fiance to my apartment lease without out, and they also asked for it when he applied for his driver's license. When you do manage to get your EAD, then you can change the name, and the number will stay the same.

There really is no timeline for changing your name after marriage, so as long as there are no personal reasons to rush it, it may be more beneficial to wait on changing it on the SS Card. This should not effect you when you apply for your AOS with the new name, as many people get their SS cards on K-1s before they are even married, so having a pre-marriage name linked to the card must not be an issue.

Exactly. And having the name different on the Ssn won't impact much before they have the ead card anyway. And after having ead the name change can occur without hiccups (hopefully). They can start using the married name and presenting the marriage certificate because almost all places will take that as proof (banks, work, etc)

Edit: your husbands case is different and may present hurdles of its own, specially if his aos papers were filed with the old name.

Edited by p-ana

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

we changed our name to double barreled , my original ss card was in my last surname, but after I got all my paperwork EG EAD and Greencard they changed my name on the SS no problem

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Many people have had problems with SSA workers insisting they cannot change names with the marriage certificate alone because it does not match the name on their visa and I-94 and in the SAVE database system. People are told to wait for their green cards. Some have even been told they cannot get an SSN through K-1 eligibility because they are now married and a K-3. They know less about immigration than their own jobs, so don't listen to the nonsense.

Because so many have had this problem, it is advised to get the SSN in maiden name, then return to change the name to married name once you have EAD or green card in married name.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

From experience, and I've read many posts here indicating the same, some frontline SSA personnel do not seem overly burdened when it comes to intelligence.

you won Visa Journey today!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

A marriage certificate is all you need. The stupidity of so many people who work at the SSA center never ceases to amaze me(and the DMV)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you guys for all your advise. I really appreciate you giving me insight as to what you or people you know have gone thru.
Like some have stated....It just doesn't make sense why government does the things they do, but no system is perfect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

When I went to change my name, I was told I needed the GC or EAD in addition to the marriage certificate; because, before either one of those is issued, the information on DHS doesn't match and they can't change it. So, I just waited and got it done later. For everything else, though, since the marriage certificate if legal proof of name change, I used my married name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

A marriage certificate is all you need. The stupidity of so many people who work at the SSA center never ceases to amaze me(and the DMV)

This is not entirely correct when dealing with immigrants. SSA requires documentation of authorized presence in the US which would be either the I94 with enough valid time left, or some other form or card such as the EAD or GC. If the only item they have to prove identity is a foreign passport and I94, then that is what the will use. Of course a marriage certificate should be enough for a name change, but this is a state/local document and not an INS document and in the case of an immigrant they need to also verify legal status and they like the names to match.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed for not answering the OP's question and one post replying to it. ~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the insights. I am thinking of changing my last name and using my future wife's last name to avoid confusion with our future child. LOL everything is about the future! :):):) 

10/27/16 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
11/01/16 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX
10/31/16 - NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC
11/04/16 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
01/13/17- NOA2 Text and Email  **wohhoooo 76 days**
01/20/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 
01/27/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
02/07/17 - Medical ( Passed!!!!)
02/23/17 - Interview (APPPRRROOOOVVEEDDDDD)
02/24/17 - Visa Issued

02/28/2017 - Visa in Hand =)

04/03/2017 - Pick up our doggy passport for our fur child
04/06/2017 - Arrived in USA!!!

04/24/2017 - Applied for SSN

04/28/2017 - SSN arrived, got a state ID card and opened bank account

06/05/2017 - Passed the DMV test! Yey I can drive. 

06/09/2017- Our Wedding 

06/30/2017 - Submitted our AOS packet 

07/05/2017- Check got encashed and notification that they received our packet 

07/11/2017 - received a text and email for NOA1 

07/17/2017 - hard copy of NOA 1 received in the mail for (EAD, AP and AOS)

08/04/2017 - biometrics scheduled 

08/14/2017 - received update that they are ready to schedule the interview 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I have been busy and out of the forum for a while. Having a love one home keeps you busy! Its kinda crazy but that is how things worked for us in Texas (San Antonio). But here is it worked:

1. We applied for SSN the same day we got married and got our license (11/07/16). We showed out marriage license but the employee wouldn't even look at it or made copies of it.

2. We waited for almost 4 weeks to get his SS card with his original "maiden" (single, original) name. Once we got it we went back to the SSA to re-apply with the marriage license again and changing it to my Last name.

According to the employee, you apply (the first) with your original name for the USCIS to recognize the info to match with your application. The second request, they already have record of your petition and the name gets changed. It does not make sense to me but it worked for us the second time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.