Nakia1love

Denied

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think we can all agree that the federal ban on marijuana is draconian. But investing a lot of energy and time into complaining about how unfair it is, is just a waste. This topic has been posted again and again and again, from numerous countries and embassies. If you admit to using marijuana or any other drug, you will certainly be banned for a year. People then post and cry that they've been banned from entering the US because of confessing to drug use, as if it were a surprise or as if they were singled out.

Who cares if it was called addiction or not. Frankly, none of us were there -- not even the OP, to my knowledge. It is possible that the doctor never actually called it addiction, for all we know. But the fact of the matter is that the beneficiary confessed to using marijuana (or tested positive for it, I'm not sure), and the fact of the matter is that there's absolutely nothing anyone can do except wait for the year.

As far as the law goes, immigration law won't change any time soon. This should really just serve as a lesson to everyone considering attempting a visa to the US. Do not do anything that will jeopardize your chances of coming here. Doing any type of drug is a conscious choice we can all choose to make or not make. Attempting to get a visa is, likewise, a conscious choice. These two conflict with one another. So, major bummer, now the beneficiary will need to be drug free for a year and try again. It's not an unsupportive statement. It's life.

But do they ban them under the principle of law or under the principle of health? If they said: "You committed a crime" ok I get that and it's logical and against federal law, but the OP said it was for "addiction" which is a joke if in reality it's because of a legal/criminal reason. That was my beef with it, why can't they be honest about the ban instead of masking it as a health problem.

And sorry for getting off topic here, but let's be real, you think Hillary Clinton or any other liberal 60s flower child-turned-politican never smoked pot when they was younger? Sometimes it's just the double standards in US society that get under my skin. But yes, I get it, federal law is the law but again....but calling it "addiction," come on. I get the OP's anger about that.

Sorry OP for invading your thread. I hope everything will work out for you guys in the end!! It's good to know you've got company here on VJ who can help you get through it all! B-)

They do care about drug / alcohol addiction or abuse. There have been several cases on VJ from the London Embassy where people were denied or banned for a period of time for suspected alcohol addiction. As in alcohol alone not illegal drugs.

Applicants were sent for blood alcohol tests after evidence such as DUIs in their file.

Usually they were expected to remain sober with regular testing for a period of time before being reinterviewed.

Here's one of the past examples - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/162251-denied-immigration-visa-now-i-601/

Edited to add: By calling it addition I don't think they are trying to mask it as a health issue - they perceive someone with a serious alcohol or drug addition to be more likely to engage in dangerous or illegal behaviors which make them an undesirable resident.

Edited by Trellick

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think we can all agree that the federal ban on marijuana is draconian. But investing a lot of energy and time into complaining about how unfair it is, is just a waste. This topic has been posted again and again and again, from numerous countries and embassies. If you admit to using marijuana or any other drug, you will certainly be banned for a year. People then post and cry that they've been banned from entering the US because of confessing to drug use, as if it were a surprise or as if they were singled out.

Who cares if it was called addiction or not. Frankly, none of us were there -- not even the OP, to my knowledge. It is possible that the doctor never actually called it addiction, for all we know. But the fact of the matter is that the beneficiary confessed to using marijuana (or tested positive for it, I'm not sure), and the fact of the matter is that there's absolutely nothing anyone can do except wait for the year.

As far as the law goes, immigration law won't change any time soon. This should really just serve as a lesson to everyone considering attempting a visa to the US. Do not do anything that will jeopardize your chances of coming here. Doing any type of drug is a conscious choice we can all choose to make or not make. Attempting to get a visa is, likewise, a conscious choice. These two conflict with one another. So, major bummer, now the beneficiary will need to be drug free for a year and try again. It's not an unsupportive statement. It's life.

:thumbs:

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hadn't thought about it that way. My brother died from a drug overdose and had a major addiction problem, so I just have a personal interest in seeing the whole drug laws change because I just don't see how "the war on drugs" is functioning at all, and but it's true, the laws won't change anytime soon. It is draconian, and often with no actual help to the greater problems in society.

Still, I admire the people for telling the truth even if it gets them banned. Better than lying about it, the OP can take some solace in the honesty of her fiance's answers. True addicts would lie and never tell anyone. They can hide an addiction and evade getting caught for years. I know from personal experience. :cry2: I guess after dealing with someone who had a hardcore addiction, marijuana seems like child's play and I was surprised by the ban, but laws are laws and that's just how it is, you're right.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

You will not certainly be banned! My fiance used drugs up until he was eighteen. That was four years ago, and he was honest with the DS-160 where it asked about previous drug addictions, with the doctor who sent him to a psychologist the next day for evaluation, and with the woman who interviewed us on interview day. He stopped before we met, and they asked if I knew he had used marijuana. I did know. They evaluated our case and approved us. I think it is just in certain countries that drug use is seen as stricter.

Met: 09/14/2013

Started Dating: 02/09/2014

Began Long Distance Relationship: 02/13/2014

I moved to Costa Rica: 01/15/2015

My parents visited and he proposed: 06/29/2016

Packet Sent: 07/01/2016

NOA1: 07/05/2016

NOA2: 08/25/2016

NVC Tracking number: 09/12/2016

Medical: 09/28/2016

Interview: 10/11/2016

POE: 10/28/2016

Wedding: 1/6/17 !!!!!

AOS and EAD Packet Sent: 1/18/17

NOA1: 1/23/17

Bio Appointment: 2/27/17

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You will not certainly be banned! My fiance used drugs up until he was eighteen. That was four years ago, and he was honest with the DS-160 where it asked about previous drug addictions, with the doctor who sent him to a psychologist the next day for evaluation, and with the woman who interviewed us on interview day. He stopped before we met, and they asked if I knew he had used marijuana. I did know. They evaluated our case and approved us. I think it is just in certain countries that drug use is seen as stricter.

If it's just certain countries that are stricter then you cannot say people won't be banned. It happens repeatedly for much less than your fiance. He was very lucky.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

If it's just certain countries that are stricter then you cannot say people won't be banned. It happens repeatedly for much less than your fiance. He was very lucky.

I didn't say people won't be banned. I'm just saying it is not a certain fact that they will be.

Met: 09/14/2013

Started Dating: 02/09/2014

Began Long Distance Relationship: 02/13/2014

I moved to Costa Rica: 01/15/2015

My parents visited and he proposed: 06/29/2016

Packet Sent: 07/01/2016

NOA1: 07/05/2016

NOA2: 08/25/2016

NVC Tracking number: 09/12/2016

Medical: 09/28/2016

Interview: 10/11/2016

POE: 10/28/2016

Wedding: 1/6/17 !!!!!

AOS and EAD Packet Sent: 1/18/17

NOA1: 1/23/17

Bio Appointment: 2/27/17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That is so insanely bogus, really.... addicted to marijuana....that's just....ARGH!! What a joke. :ranting: I've read various reasons for bans/denials on VJ and that is by way the most absurd one I've seen yet. So sorry.

I really hope an attorney can help you. It's extremely unfair that they punished you both for his honesty. I don't know if you can overcome the K-1 with such a ban, you might have to go the spouse visa route. Hope someone who has experience in this situation can help you out here so you can get through this.

Yes,completely absolutely possible to be addicted to the weed, seen it more times then you can shake a stick at...your in never land if you think it's not so...

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In their determination for the ban, they look at timeframe and answers to questions. It varies, but a ban is impossed.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Honestly, the k-1 visa is very tricky and hard for most people to get. its better if you guys get married and file the form i-130 for your spouse. I have been through the fiance k-1 visa application process and mines was denied as well, but not for the same reason. Also an immigration lawyer would not be able to do anything except wait for the one year ban to be over then help you from there. Furthermore my husband was not banned a visa in that case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes,completely absolutely possible to be addicted to the weed, seen it more times then you can shake a stick at...your in never land if you think it's not so...

Are you a doctor or a medical professional? Addiction is a huge source of debate and you can't put someone in jail for merely being an addict. It's already been established in the thread that people are banned for the illegality of the substance rather than for the health factor, which makes sense.

Honestly, the k-1 visa is very tricky and hard for most people to get. its better if you guys get married and file the form i-130 for your spouse. I have been through the fiance k-1 visa application process and mines was denied as well, but not for the same reason. Also an immigration lawyer would not be able to do anything except wait for the one year ban to be over then help you from there. Furthermore my husband was not banned a visa in that case.

LionessDeon recommended the OP not do the spouse visa because it means she and her fiance have to start all over again from scratch. If waiting out the one year ban worked for other people in Jamaica with the K-1, it'll probably be the best option for her too. All these cases seem so country-specific, I think she should do what the others in Jamaica did and that will probably yield the best result.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think we can all agree that the federal ban on marijuana is draconian.

I wouldn't count on that

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Do they ban u if your medical results shows that u have std?

If there is a cure you have to do that first, but no ban.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I know weed is a BIG problem in Jamaica and I know your not supposed to lie to immigration buttttt if your spouse knows that when he takes the drug test he's going to pass I've heard it's better to not even volunteer that information that they have smoked weed before. Call it lying if you want but if you were a smoker previously and you are not any more it makes no sense to bring it up. at this point an immigration lawyer is of no use to you since he admitted to smoking and he is banned for a year.you have to wait and redo all of your paper work again after the ban is lifted.(the previous ban use to be 3 years by the way) And most likely they will give you a harder time the second time filing because there was a ban in place. Sorry to hear this hun.i know it sucks but there's still hope. If it was me I would start planning my wedding and get married in Jamaica in about 6 months and wait 6 more months and refile. But hey that's just what I would do.one year will pass quickly :) good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.