texasbantam

Denied Immigration Visa - Now I-601...

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

Well this is my 1st post on this site, so 1st of all hello everyone on here!

My situation is this:

My wife is a USC, i am a UK Citizen, the benficiary. We filed for an IV thru the US Embassy in London.

I had my interview & medical 27 Oct. They then called me back for another "interview" 13 Nov. This was just to tell me that I was found ineligible to receive this visa as i had failed the medical as they found a raised Gamma GT level in a blood test - they carried out this blood test as I had a DUI conviction from 1991.

According to the CO i was considered to have an alcohol addiction, and was instructed to wait to speak to someone else about the I-601 Waiver.

I filled this in while I was there, and handed it back to this person, and wasn't asked to pay a fee. He said they would phone me within 6 weeks.

So my questions are:

Does anyone have previous experience of this situation ?

I didn't pay anything else when i filled in this form - i understand the fee is $575 - when would i have to pay this fee?

How long can all this take? This guy at the embassy said they may refer me to a psychiatrist for evaluation!

I would really appreciate any help on this - i've trawled this site and others too with no success for information on similar cases to mine.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi all,

My situation is this:

My wife is a USC, i am a UK Citizen, the benficiary. We filed for an IV thru the US Embassy in London.

I had my interview & medical 27 Oct. They then called me back for another "interview" 13 Nov. This was just to tell me that I was found ineligible to receive this visa as i had failed the medical as they found a raised Gamma GT level in a blood test - they carried out this blood test as I had a DUI conviction from 1991.

According to the CO i was considered to have an alcohol addiction, and was instructed to wait to speak to someone else about the I-601 Waiver.

I filled this in while I was there, and handed it back to this person, and wasn't asked to pay a fee. He said they would phone me within 6 weeks.

So my questions are:

I didn't pay anything else when i filled in this form - i understand the fee is $575 - when would i have to pay this fee?

How long can all this take? This guy at the embassy said they may refer me to a psychiatrist for evaluation!

I would really appreciate any help on this - i've trawled this site and others too with no success for information on similar cases to mine.

It sounds like they are saying you are ineligible due to the DWI. I don't think an elevated GGT reading is grounds for denial. I don't see anything on the medical where they can enter GGT levels.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Hi all,

My situation is this:

So my questions are:

I haven't got any experience of this myself, but a quick google threw out an interesting (but unverified) fact that A raised Gamma Gt level can also be caused by smoking, obesity and diabetes. I would do a stack of research into raised gamma gt levels and approach your GP about retesting you. If you're still drinking, stop. If you smoke, quit. If you're obese, start losing.

I'm sorry to hear it though, how upsetting for you both. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

What do you mean when you write that this is your first post on this site?

The real problem is your DUI. I don't understand why the DUI was not brought up when you first went in on the 27th. Did you report the DUI on all the relevant forms?

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Yes, they consider alcohol and drug abuse to be an "addiction". A past DUI conviction is evidence of past alcohol abuse. Elevated gamma GT is possible indication that you are still abusing alcohol.

You fell under 8 USC 1182 - classes of aliens ineligible for admission

(iii) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in consultation with the Attorney General)—

(I) to have a physical or mental disorder and behavior associated with the disorder that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others, or

(II) to have had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder, which behavior has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or to lead to other harmful behavior, or

(iv) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict,

is inadmissible.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode0...82----000-.html

At worst you will be referred to and evaluated by a physician (or yes, a psychiatrist) to determine if you are eligible for a waiver.

Good luck

Hi all,

My situation is this:

So my questions are:

i don't get it.

Filed: Timeline

The DWI is indeed an issue; and like other posters have said. Prepare for a long battle. A fellow VJer had to wait a 3 year ban because of the same thing - and prove to the CO that he/she had remained sober for the duration of the ban. How long can it take>? Not sure; but again good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen plenty of people immigrate with such convictions, it is the 2 things together.

There was a post on another board recently, same issue, different visa.

I guess first thing would be do you have an issue, or is it something else? If something else you might have a chance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
What do you mean when you write that this is your first post on this site?

The real problem is your DUI. I don't understand why the DUI was not brought up when you first went in on the 27th. Did you report the DUI on all the relevant forms?

Sorry to everyone regarding that this was my 1st post - i cut n pasted the message from my message on immigrate2us.net (which *was* my 1st post)... just forgot to take that bit out when i posted on here.

MargotDarko - i've been researching the DUI thing,. and i don't think that on it's own is enough reason for denial - although obviously with my elevated GammaGT they think i have a drink problem, which is reason enough.

I've recently found out that i can request a copy of the medical from Knightsbridge, which i'm going to do tomorrow, so i can find out what these levels actually are. I find it amazing that even though you've paid £180 for the medical they don't even give you a copy of the report!

Timeline

Just a quick update - i've just spoken to the embassy about my case.

They have sent my medical results to CDC in the US, and their Doctor will be reviewing the case November 25th. If he disagrees with the panel physician, my visa would be approved. Alternatively, if he does agree, then i'd have to try to get assigned to a rehab clinic in the US. If its a flat out refusal for admmision, i can appeal within 33 days.

Otherwise i'd have to wait 2 years before re-applying so that i can show i'm "in remission".

Incidentally - I do not have to prove extreme hardship in this case, due to the reason for inadmissability.

It's a bit naive to expect to "be assigned to a rehab clinic in the US" don't you think? If there is a process for "getting assigned to rehab in the US for immigration purposes" somewhere in the CFR I can't say that anyone I know has ever heard of it or run across it.

IF you have a DUI conviction and IF you were dumb enough to get drinky the night before your medical exam, and IF the CDC reviews your case and determines that your elevated gamma levels are (or possibly could be) due to alcohol, you will be expected to rehab in your own country until you can satisfy the consulate / embassy there that you do not have an alcohol problem, and as was posted a couple days ago meeting that requirement will likely take months to years.

News flash Tex - they have effectively denied you, but they have a burden of proof to meet before they close your file and send your case to neverland. They sent your file to the CDC expecting the CDC to CONCUR WITH not over-rule the panel physician. Hate to break it to you in such hard terms but you would do well to batten your hatches and get ready for a long uphill battle.

i don't get it.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am concerned as i have my medical at the end of June. I am diabetic type2, have been for about 7 years, it is very poorly controlled and i have missed lots of appointments, not taken my metformin not deliberately i just missed them (i know you may all think i'm an idiot for saying that). I have never been hospitilized because of it or had other complications (not that i'm aware of anyway) For the past 2 months i have been good with my diet and taking medication, im just concerned now that i will fail the medical when my Dr writes a letter regarding my history....if i do fail can i appeal it once i am back on track with the management of my condition and how long would that normally take, sorry to have waffled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.