Nakia1love

Denied

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

not sure if this will make a difference, but in the state of Massachusetts, marijuana is now legal with certain guidelines of course with the new voting recently done. Check and see if it has changed in your state at all. Also it is usually denied based on finding marijuana in the system not verbally.

Renee

Hello,

not sure if this will make a difference, but in the state of Massachusetts, marijuana is now legal with certain guidelines of course with the new voting recently done. Check and see if it has changed in your state at all. Also it is usually denied based on finding marijuana in the system not verbally.

Immigration=Federal. Doesn't matter if you move to Colorado or Massachusetts, or...

I know weed is a BIG problem in Jamaica and I know your not supposed to lie to immigration buttttt if your spouse knows that when he takes the drug test he's going to pass I've heard it's better to not even volunteer that information that they have smoked weed before. Call it lying if you want but if you were a smoker previously and you are not any more it makes no sense to bring it up. at this point an immigration lawyer is of no use to you since he admitted to smoking and he is banned for a year.you have to wait and redo all of your paper work again after the ban is lifted.(the previous ban use to be 3 years by the way) And most likely they will give you a harder time the second time filing because there was a ban in place. Sorry to hear this hun.i know it sucks but there's still hope. If it was me I would start planning my wedding and get married in Jamaica in about 6 months and wait 6 more months and refile. But hey that's just what I would do.one year will pass quickly :) good luck!

Are you suggesting they don't tell the truth?

I know weed is a BIG problem in Jamaica and I know your not supposed to lie to immigration buttttt if your spouse knows that when he takes the drug test he's going to pass I've heard it's better to not even volunteer that information that they have smoked weed before. Call it lying if you want but if you were a smoker previously and you are not any more it makes no sense to bring it up. at this point an immigration lawyer is of no use to you since he admitted to smoking and he is banned for a year.you have to wait and redo all of your paper work again after the ban is lifted.(the previous ban use to be 3 years by the way) And most likely they will give you a harder time the second time filing because there was a ban in place. Sorry to hear this hun.i know it sucks but there's still hope. If it was me I would start planning my wedding and get married in Jamaica in about 6 months and wait 6 more months and refile. But hey that's just what I would do.one year will pass quickly :) good luck!

Are you suggesting they don't tell the truth?

Hello,

Like the poster said above, Federal and State are not the same thing. Federal covers the ENTIRE US, even if the states say something is legal, if it's illegal on the federal level then it will affect all forms of immigration. Immigration is under Federal law.

So if it is legal in your state and you're not a USC, it is HIGHLY recommended to NOT partake in it.

While rare, It could be someones luck to be smoking one day in a state where it's legal, and end up getting a home visit by USCIS.

As for denials, simply admitting you've smoked weed at any time can get you a denial.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.