JayJayH

A month from now, 50 million Americans will vote for Trump

124 posts in this topic

YES!! Clayton Bigsby is the only white supremacist I ever liked.

I agree with you. I do think we should feel comfortable, but I really don't think you can create an environment in which everyone can feel comfortable unless they're on equal terms. I don't say "equal terms" lightly, because that's obviously a loaded term. People should be listened to, but demonizing white men is a dangerous road to go down. I don't say that because I am a white man. I say it because I have a lot more in common with my Japanese American neighbor than I do with my white-man coworker. Or some random Irish American in Boston.

What's happening is "white people" are basically told pushed to embrace their "whiteness" and told to repent for it. This is a really bad idea. Traditionally, because white Americans have been the majority, very few white people have thought of themselves as "a race." They've just thought of themselves as "Americans." Maybe Italian or Polish or Dutch. That's why we don't have "White Student Unions" on college campuses, or a national organization for white Americans. There has never been a need for that.

That's changing, because all of a sudden, the left has started referring to "white people" in tribal terms.

And if there is anything we don't need after this election cycle, it's white Americans becoming more tribal.

I'd rather see minorities becoming less tribal and thought of as simply unhyphenated Americans.

that isn't what i see happening, and i can't really argue this with you because i don't even agree with your premise. all of a sudden the left has started referring to white people in tribal terms? naw. just, i can't even work with that. the only people who've told me to repent for being white have been people here on vj - and i'm pretty sure they're white.

and there is no 'all of a sudden' and it's not sprouting from libruls- i know this quote is way older than me..and it's still relevant. does it offend you?

“I tell sincere white people, 'Work in conjunction with us- each of us working among our own kind.' Let sincere white individuals find all other white people they can who feel as they do- and let them form their own all-white groups, to work trying to convert other white people who are thinking and acting so racist. Let sincere whites go and teach non-violence to white people!

We will completely respect our white co-workers. They will deserve every credit. We will give them every credit. We will meanwhile be working among our own kind, in our own black communities- showing and teaching black men in ways that only other black men can- that the black man has got to help himself. Working separately, the sincere white people and sincere black people actually will be working together.

In our mutual sincerity we might be able to show a road to the salvation of America's very soul.”

Malcolm X

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

now i'm not sure if your beef is with indoctrinating librul professors or new york.

not sure what the mattress girl has to do with librul bullying in the academic realm but the part in bold is definitely new to me.. and it doesn't make sense because of course, not all art kids are expected to make projects like hers.

Sorry, poorly worded. "NYC art professors expecting everyone to make projects like hers..." You see how brilliant my expensive, private super-lib university was....really improved my writing skills! (self-deprecating sarcasm obviously)

Because the NYC professors would be extremely pleased/happy with a project like hers. I'm sure she got straight A's in all her classes. They would point to her and say "Make a project like that!" Mattress Girl is a kind of poster child for academic contemporary art. If you go to small town art schools and local public college art departments, you will find nothing like her.

I was in the wrong place. The fact that I stayed there was due to a bad situation/messed up family life which is a long story....I never should've been at an NYC art school. I wanted to leave but ended up being forced to stay by my dad who thought I would be a "loser" if I dropped out....but this personal stuff is kind of irrelevant to the argument.

I imagine your art professors cut their teeth in the 70s or something. Art must have meaning. And postmodern art is increasingly about the meaning and less about the form. Making copies of medieval stuff is derivative, unless you are going to get vellum and gold leaf and immerse yourself in some sort of living history project. So what is the point of your medieval art? That is what I expect they wanted you to think about, and to be able to defend. But it's too bad if they made it seem like you needed to do your own performance of the "inner scroll" to do something meaningful.

You should've seen my fellow students projects. One girl bought cheap, disposable cameras for other people (RANDOM people, I guess this was supposed to represent "democracy" or something), had said other people take blurry snapshots of whatever they saw/wanted to and then wrote some extremely wordy essay about "seeing things from other people's view" and how it's "a new approach to photography" and whatnot, when in the end, all she had were sub-par, extremely amateur looking Polaroids on the wall. It wasn't the class favorite, but the profs applauded her were pleased. I think she got a B+.

Another girl ended up making a fashion magazine. Her fashion magazine had no deep meaning behind it whatsoever. It was just glossy photos of girls in dramatic, cinematic lighting scenes. However, this student was a lesbian. The head of our department was a lesbian. Therefore, she got an automatic pass to do whatever she wanted despite the extremely weak connection between her project and her lesbianism. Her photos didn't even have any"girl power" anti-stereotypes or body positivity....it was just pretty, nice pictures of skinny models in pink rooms with dramatic, David Lynchian colors. She got an A. If you had seen her magazine yourself, you would have no idea that she was a lesbian or that it had any meaning behind it other than being cool, chic and fashiony.

I'm not saying all art schools are this bad, I just had terrible luck. My project wasn't about just imitating the old stuff, I wanted to bridge photography to the medieval stuff somehow, it wasn't merely imitating. (Photography was my main major.) I don't think it was super genius or brilliant, but the absolute lack of encouragement I received was awful. I had a lot of ideas and suggestions for bridging photography to medieval imagery, but my professors shot down every one of my ideas over and over and over....I ended up just giving up and doing the bare minimum of what they asked of me my final year, passing with D's.

The head of our department wasn't even an artist. She was a computer programmer from Colombia (S. America). She was openly lesbian, but she was as white as white can be in terms of her race, she was not a Latino, maybe she was half-European...she didn't talk about her background/race. She made a project about "gum spots" on the streets in NYC which went like this "Chew on any kind of gum. Walk outside and spit it onto the sidewalk. Wait for someone to step on it. Then someone else, then hundreds of people. Return in a few months to find your NYC gum dot." This was supposed to be a commentary about urban life and consumerism....because.....?????

And I mean, I guess my profs and fellow students were just smarter than me because they were able to back up all this some kind of "critique of urbanization" or "feminist perspective" or "insert buzzword here" to their art. Since graduating, I've given up trying to be creative or being an artist because the whole experience sort of took it all out of me. But yes, I had an extraordinarily unlucky experience in that school....not all liberal universities are that bad. Most of them are much, much more subdued and actually do teach things in a better way.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

crazy right wingers aren't brand new, they didn't just roll in with trump. and from where i sit they aren't any more crazy now than they were in 2008. but i suppose i just don't live in a big city with proper sjw liberals because i've zero experience with such phenomenon.

Lucky you.

The plague formed on Tumblr, where women are oppressed. I used to think they had it bad in Afghanistan until I saw how bad those Tumblr women have it.

From there, they have spread throughout college campuses across the west like the Spanish Flu.

Today, they're mostly preoccupied with banning speakers they disagree with, writing opinion columns in Vox and Salon, chanting slogans they learned in gender studies courses, and demanding people use "xe", "ze" and "xir" as pronouns, lest they be Nazi sympathizers.

Oh, and demanding that universities like Yale denounce their intellectual agenda in favor of race segregated safe spaces and mobbing people they disagree with.

Note that "clapping" is considered a trigger, so snapping is the appropriate way to applaud, and forums like VJ are hate filled, as they legitimize the oppression of others by furthering the idea that some people are here legally, and some not. They also like to spread racial harmony by shutting down minority students who "fall out of line", either by taking their microphone, or putting them in registries for "shady people of color." (Had to resort to Fox for the last one, as the 'SPOC' event went unnoticed by most media).

I have a lot of respect for the old school liberals. These new ones, raised by helicopter parenting and victimhood culture are the next generation, and they scare me to death - Just as much as they terrify this anonymous (for his own safety) liberal professor.

MLK, George Carlin and Caesar Chavez would all roll in their graves.

Edited by JayJayH

Timeline

Lucky you.

The plague formed on Tumblr, where women are oppressed. I used to think they had it bad in Afghanistan until I saw how bad those Tumblr women have it.

From there, they have spread throughout college campuses across the west like the Spanish Flu.

Today, they're mostly preoccupied with banning speakers they disagree with, writing opinion columns in Vox and Salon, chanting slogans they learned in gender studies courses, and demanding people use "xe", "ze" and "xir" as pronouns, lest they be Nazi sympathizers.

Oh, and demanding that universities like Yale denounce their intellectual agenda in favor of race segregated safe spaces and mobbing people they disagree with.

Note that "clapping" is considered a trigger, so snapping is the appropriate way to applaud, and forums like VJ are hate filled, as they legitimize the oppression of others by furthering the idea that some people are here legally, and some not. They also like to spread racial harmony by shutting down minority students who "fall out of line", either by taking their microphone, or putting them in registries for "shady people of color." (Had to resort to Fox for the last one, as the 'SPOC' event went unnoticed by most media).

I have a lot of respect for the old school liberals. These new ones, raised by helicopter parenting and victimhood culture are the next generation, and they scare me to death - Just as much as they terrify this anonymous (for his own safety) liberal professor.

There's definitely a generational gap. Maybe all these crazy young tumblr folk will cool their jets a bit as they mature. I hope so anyway! The angry young (non-binary gender/insert word here) has replaced the angry young man?

I actually like that VJ has some censorship. One thing I did like about raised in the South was the lack of swearing. By all means, swear when it's necessary, but having every other word be something R-rated has become so common nowadays, it's refreshing to see a place that's so "family friendly!" :P

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

You should've seen my fellow students projects. One girl bought cheap, disposable cameras for other people (RANDOM people, I guess this was supposed to represent "democracy" or something), had said other people take blurry snapshots of whatever they saw/wanted to and then wrote some extremely wordy essay about "seeing things from other people's view" and how it's "a new approach to photography" and whatnot, when in the end, all she had were sub-par, extremely amateur looking Polaroids on the wall. It wasn't the class favorite, but the profs applauded her were pleased. I think she got a B+.

Another girl ended up making a fashion magazine. Her fashion magazine had no deep meaning behind it whatsoever. It was just glossy photos of girls in dramatic, cinematic lighting scenes. However, this student was a lesbian. The head of our department was a lesbian. Therefore, she got an automatic pass to do whatever she wanted despite the extremely weak connection between her project and her lesbianism. Her photos didn't even have any"girl power" anti-stereotypes or body positivity....it was just pretty, nice pictures of skinny models in pink rooms with dramatic, David Lynchian colors. She got an A. If you had seen her magazine yourself, you would have no idea that she was a lesbian or that it had any meaning behind it other than being cool, chic and fashiony.

I'm not saying all art schools are this bad, I just had terrible luck. My project wasn't about just imitating the old stuff, I wanted to bridge photography to the medieval stuff somehow, it wasn't merely imitating. (Photography was my main major.) I don't think it was super genius or brilliant, but the absolute lack of encouragement I received was awful. I had a lot of ideas and suggestions for bridging photography to medieval imagery, but my professors shot down every one of my ideas over and over and over....I ended up just giving up and doing the bare minimum of what they asked of me my final year, passing with D's.

The head of our department wasn't even an artist. She was a computer programmer from Colombia (S. America). She was openly lesbian, but she was as white as white can be in terms of her race, she was not a Latino, maybe she was half-European...she didn't talk about her background/race. She made a project about "gum spots" on the streets in NYC which went like this "Chew on any kind of gum. Walk outside and spit it onto the sidewalk. Wait for someone to step on it. Then someone else, then hundreds of people. Return in a few months to find your NYC gum dot." This was supposed to be a commentary about urban life and consumerism....because.....?????

And I mean, I guess my profs and fellow students were just smarter than me because they were able to back up all this some kind of "critique of urbanization" or "feminist perspective" or "insert buzzword here" to their art. Since graduating, I've given up trying to be creative or being an artist because the whole experience sort of took it all out of me. But yes, I had an extraordinarily unlucky experience in that school....not all liberal universities are that bad. Most of them are much, much more subdued and actually do teach things in a better way.

That's lame. Laurie Anderson wannabes or something.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

That's lame. Laurie Anderson wannabes or something.

Indeed. Anderson's generation of artists actually contributed something, a lot of people nowadays seem to be rehashing under the guise that they are doing something new/socially important. Kinda getting topic here, but I think it's related to the for-profit university system a bit. Education reform is definitely needed in some areas/fields of study. Not to beat the age old "we don't need degrees in underwater basket weaving" dead horse, but it does contain a tiny seed of truth.

Oh, and to N-o-l-a from earlier: Yes, people like Limbaugh are such laughable echo-chambers. I feel like the right has tanked a bit, though....for example, The Drudge Report/Matt Drudge has become significantly more annoying over the years. I used to check it to sort of keep abreast with the news in general, but the slant is insufferable now. He never should have got a Twitter. It was all downhill from there. Are any Twitters actually informative/worth reading for that matter?

Edited by millefleur

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lucky you.

ive been on tumblr for a few years, and i'm not familiar with the tumblr women plague.

all of these grievances you have seem to have more to do with the state of institutions of higher education in the us, not so much liberals in the us. like millefleur said its a generation gap for sure. there's no reason to be afraid of them anyway. all youthful rhetoric/protest tones down with time and real world experience. college is not the real world. there aren't any safe spaces out here.

A friend?

Yes, a friend. Thankfully Mr U is fully under my Nasty CABA Woman spell and wouldn't dare read anything on the interwebs without thorough vetting by me and my cackling band of Ugg-wearing harpies.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I really hope that we aren't going in that direction, but I see your point about it. There has always been more of a sub-tribalism in American whiteness like Irish or Italian Catholics, generally Germanic folk, etc. Americans as a whole are become more mixed, so some of that sub tribalism might merge into a broader tribalism, but the issue for me is that there is no such thing as American whiteness or white culture in general. We don't have anything to bond over because we are a variety of religions (Jewish, Christian, Pagan, actual Muslim Caucasians from the Caucuses, Atheists, etc.), a variety of economic classes, and spread out all over. There is no general experiences that really bind us together like racism directed at us or whatever else. Now, if that changes, than it might change, but institutionalized racism towards whites is nowhere near a possibility at the moment. You'd have to change pretty much every aspect of society first and it just isn't happening.

In my opinion, if you are born in America and you are only an American citizen, then that is that, you are American.

As a Scandinavian, it isn't surprising that you have more in common with a Japanese person than a Southie because on a level of privilege, you and the Japanese neighbor are higher than a typical Irish American from Boston. Surely, you can't deny that there are maybe more opportunities afforded to you as a Scandinavian than a working class white in this country?

That's my problem with the term "whiteness" in general. I'm not sure how you can talk about "white people" in context of American history as a cover-all ranging from great, great, great grandchildren of early settlers, to grandchildren of Italian immigrants to Brooklyn, to Jewish refugees. I've never said that various degrees of institutionalized racism doesn't exist, or isn't an issue. It absolutely is - Especially in the criminal justice system. But when people talk about privilege, it's a very alienating term when applied to blanket groups ranging from Wall Street billionaires to dirt poor, unemployed people in the Rust Belt.

I think the entire debate around it is toxic, both from one side shouting 'institutionalized racism' and 'white people this and that' left and right without actually mentioning any actual institutions that they deem to be racist, or any apparent, realistic solutions. And from the other side unwilling to admit that various degrees of institutionalized racism does exist.

I won't deny that I have had many opportunities that I would have never had if I had grown up on the south side of Chicago, East L.A. or in a blue collar household in Pennsylvania. I take issue with any notion that it's mostly due to having Scandinavian complexion. I would have been even more privileged had I grown up in a Persian family in L.A. or an Indian family in Silicon Valley.

Why do I take issue with that? Because when people talk about privilege, most of what they really mean are socioeconomic factors, and turning socioeconomic policies into a race debate is slippery territory. A working class Mexican American and a working class Irish American have far more in common than a millionaire German American and a working class Irish American. A generous Norwegian student loan fund allowed me to get two degrees in the U.S. Generous Norwegian wages, a well-functioning single payer health care system and amazing parents allowed me to grow up under great middle class conditions. I'm humble to those facts. Scandinavian privilege? Perhaps, but the same socioeconomic conditions would have benefited me regardless of skin tone.

Edited by JayJayH

Timeline

That's my problem with the term "whiteness" in general. I'm not sure how you can talk about "white people" in context of American history as a cover-all ranging from great, great, great grandchildren of early settlers, to grandchildren of Italian immigrants to Brooklyn, to Jewish refugees. I've never said that various degrees of institutionalized racism doesn't exist, or isn't an issue. It absolutely is - Especially in the criminal justice system. But when people talk about privilege, it's a very alienating term when applied to blanket groups ranging from Wall Street billionaires to dirt poor, unemployed people in the Rust Belt.

I think the entire debate around it is toxic, both from one side shouting 'institutionalized racism' and 'white people this and that' left and right without actually mentioning any actual institutions that they deem to be racist, or any apparent, realistic solutions. And from the other side unwilling to admit that various degrees of institutionalized racism does exist.

I won't deny that I have had many opportunities that I would have never had if I had grown up on the south side of Chicago, East L.A. or in a blue collar household in Pennsylvania. I take issue with any notion that it's mostly due to having Scandinavian complexion. I would have been even more privileged had I grown up in a Persian family in L.A. or an Indian family in Silicon Valley.

Why do I take issue with that? Because when people talk about privilege, most of what they really mean are socioeconomic factors, and turning socioeconomic policies into a race debate is slippery territory. A working class Mexican American and a working class Irish American have far more in common than a millionaire German American and a working class Irish American. A generous Norwegian student loan fund allowed me to get two degrees in the U.S. Generous Norwegian wages, a well-functioning single payer health care system and amazing parents allowed me to grow up under great middle class conditions. I'm humble to those facts. Scandinavian privilege? Perhaps, but the same socioeconomic conditions would have benefited me regardless of skin tone.

The "privilege" thing can get very nebulous. For example, I have a black American friend who was doing a Fulbright project here in Russia about "blackness in Russia" and she learned that most of the black community here are from Africa. Why? Because a lot of them study here in universities because Russia is offering them a better life/opportunity back home. She told me after spending a lot of time with these fellow black folks who were obviously poorer than her and her family, that she felt she had "Black American Privilege" over them. Yes, some people are more advantaged than others, and especially economic advantage can be found across all races. Again, obviously all of them experienced racism in Russia....but the difference was, she got to return back to her nice middle class family in the US and a well-paying university job, whereas the African students here are handing out flyers on the street for five dollars an hour hoping one day they'll become something more than that. She got to choose to study Russian because it was interesting for her....they did it because they felt like they had little choice if they wanted to move up in life. Racism in the world enabled them to find a common ground (and it's truly sad that such a thing even happens), but other than their skin color, I'd say they didn't have much in common at all apart from that.

I think it's great to help out the disadvantaged and to try and build bridges between the groups. The goal of that is harmony and a better society. But the "white guilt/white privilege" thing is too much a lot of time. It creates division. It's like trying to hold modern day young Germans accountable for the Nazis....what good would come of that? It's important to educate, to blame who needs to be blamed, study the history, but passing down sins over the generations is kind of absurd. People should set by positive example, not by guilt tripping people into feeling sorry for others. I don't think anyone should feel bad about whatever advantages they have....they should actively try to do good/use their advantages for good. If they use their advantages to harm/hurt/otherwise do bad, it's logical to call them out on it....but call out their actions, not their skin color/gender, etc.

Edited by millefleur

Spoiler

Spoiler

What's a tumblr?

grumpy_old_men-461164.jpg

i always thought of tumblr as a gif-ier twitter. and i guess i'm self absorbed because i've never ventured into the realm of the tumblr women's plague or any sjw's realm really.

but it has to be just like the ol ####### tube, if you see something you don't like - change the channel.