JayJayH

A month from now, 50 million Americans will vote for Trump

124 posts in this topic

The "far anything" is what you make it out to be. "Far right" to most Europeans will be anyone supporting the death penalty and opposed to single payer healthcare. By that standard, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are both far right. Far right could mean being pro-life, anti-estate taxes, or it could mean, as pog mo stated, fascism. Likewise, far left could mean anything from 'Stalinism' to being pro same-sex marriage.

In American context, I guess I'm far left on a whole host of issues. But MTV has been on this race baiting bandwagon for a few years now. And race baiting has, sadly, become a staple of 21st century progressive rhetoric.

Headlines from some popular left-oriented publications I used to read before they turned themselves into pseudoscientific junk fuel for the Trump campaign and white nationalism:

The White Guy Problem

White Men Must be Stopped

I Don't Know What to do With Good White People

Ten Things White People Need to Stop Saying

Here's a List of Things We'd Wish White People Would Stop Doing

yeah, sorry. i'm not with you on 'far left/right' is whatever one perceives it to be. and i don't buy (wouldn't even take it for free) the whole 'mtv has been on this race baiting bandwagon' blah blah. i find it laughable, really. but yaknow by and large white men can certainly dish it out, but can't even begin to take it back. not even in slow, watered down doses. seriously, i think 'race baiting' is whatever you perceive it to be, however it may soothe your emotional butthurts and inability to acknowledge others' experience. helps to have a trusty fallback - heY you can't have an opinion about white people! that's race baiting! heY you can't talk about your personal racial experience - i can't validate it! that's race baiting!

i feel like you keep saying how liberal you used to be but there is an underlying hostility in most all of your posts towards liberals, it's weird...the root is 'pseudoscientific junk fuel for the trump campaign and white nationalism'? shall we declare trump's camp is no longer allowed to read the root lest they be energized? is that extreme lefty enough? BUT WILL IT PUT AN END TO RACE BAITING?

of course not, "race baiting' isn't an actual thing in the manner its being dropped here - as in liberals don't go around injecting race into everything to label conservatives as racists. what you're taking issue with (above specifically) is non white people talking about white people. dish it out much? i mean, it does't bother me in the slightest.

yeah, sorry. i'm not with you on 'far left/right' is whatever one perceives it to be. and i don't buy (wouldn't even take it for free) the whole 'mtv has been on this race baiting bandwagon' blah blah. i find it laughable, really. but yaknow by and large white men can certainly dish it out, but can't even begin to take it back. not even in slow, watered down doses. seriously, i think 'race baiting' is whatever you perceive it to be, however it may soothe your emotional butthurts and inability to acknowledge others' experience. helps to have a trusty fallback - heY you can't have an opinion about white people! that's race baiting! heY you can't talk about your personal racial experience - i can't validate it! that's race baiting!

i feel like you keep saying how liberal you used to be but there is an underlying hostility in most all of your posts towards liberals, it's weird...the root is 'pseudoscientific junk fuel for the trump campaign and white nationalism'? shall we declare trump's camp is no longer allowed to read the root lest they be energized? is that extreme lefty enough? BUT WILL IT PUT AN END TO RACE BAITING?

of course not, "race baiting' isn't an actual thing in the manner its being dropped here - as in liberals don't go around injecting race into everything to label conservatives as racists. what you're taking issue with (above specifically) is non white people talking about white people. dish it out much? i mean, it does't bother me in the slightest.

I find it equally (perhaps even a bit more) disturbing when right wingers go around saying "black people this, hispanic people that."

I don't criticize it nearly as much because to find equally blatantly charged rhetoric on the right you'd have to go over to Stormfront. Murky waters, I don't even want their cookies in my browser. I hold people to the same standards regardless of demographic. I'm against blanket generalizations whether they be about black women or white men, and whether they come from the left or right is irrelevant. Talk about it, by all means. I've been a minority in every city I've lived in in America and have had experiences, both (predominately) positive and (a select few) negative related to it. I still think "10 things I wish Mexicans would stop saying" would be far more appropriate over a game of poker than as a headline in the Huffington Post. So some people will say "Mexicans are a disadvantaged group, can't talk about it." That might be true if you're in rural Virginia, but then people wonder how the 80 year old white lady in Brooklyn became convinced the Huffington Post is racist against her. Bottom line is, the only way you can justify that sort of rhetoric is if you go by the notion that the U.S. is "a white country." It is not. Maybe in western Kentucky. Not in Los Angeles. New Hampshire maybe. Not New Mexico.

What I'm taking issue with above is hypocrisy in liberal media, and putting "white people" on some sort of pedestal as the only demographic group allowed to be generalized in actual media headlines. I'm not worried about a liberal in San Francisco being offended. I'm worried about union, middle class and rural (in this case white) voters turning away from liberalism and towards right-wing, big-government populism. Hint: it's already happening as evidenced by Trump. It happened in Europe already.

I have little hostility towards most traditionally liberal ideas. I have hostility towards highly charged one-sided rhetoric and those who try to take liberalism in an inherently illiberal direction. Free speech 'fundamentalism' was the staple of Berkeley hippies back in the 60s and 70s. So yes, I worry when 40% of today's millennials favor a ban on "hate speech" - A term which could easily include criticism of evangelical dogma with a tweak or two. Holding people (not ideas) to the same standards is probably the most fundamental liberal idea. That would have made me a radical in the 1920s, a civil rights activist in the 1960s, and a racist hate-monger according to modern day college activists.

Edited by JayJayH

I find it equally (perhaps even a bit more) disturbing when right wingers go around saying "black people this, hispanic people that."

I don't criticize it nearly as much because to find equally blatantly charged rhetoric on the right you'd have to go over to Stormfront. Murky waters, I don't even want their cookies in my browser. I hold people to the same standards regardless of demographic. I'm against blanket generalizations whether they be about black women or white men, and whether they come from the left or right is irrelevant. Talk about it, by all means. I've been a minority in every city I've lived in in America and have had experiences, both (predominately) positive and (a select few) negative related to it. I still think "10 things I wish Mexicans would stop saying" would be far more appropriate over a game of poker than as a headline in the Huffington Post. So some people will say "Mexicans are a disadvantaged group, can't talk about it." That might be true if you're in rural Virginia, but then people wonder how the 80 year old white lady in Brooklyn became convinced the Huffington Post is racist against her. Bottom line is, the only way you can justify that sort of rhetoric is if you go by the notion that the U.S. is "a white country." It is not. Maybe in western Kentucky. Not in Los Angeles. New Hampshire maybe. Not New Mexico.

What I'm taking issue with above is hypocrisy in liberal media, and putting "white people" on some sort of pedestal as the only demographic group allowed to be generalized in actual media headlines. I'm not worried about a liberal in San Francisco being offended. I'm worried about union, middle class and rural (in this case white) voters turning away from liberalism and towards right-wing, big-government populism. Hint: it's already happening as evidenced by Trump. It happened in Europe already.

I have little hostility towards most traditionally liberal ideas. I have hostility towards highly charged one-sided rhetoric and those who try to take liberalism in an inherently illiberal direction. Free speech 'fundamentalism' was the staple of Berkeley hippies back in the 60s and 70s. So yes, I worry when 40% of today's millennials favor a ban on "hate speech" - A term which could easily include criticism of evangelical dogma with a tweak or two. Holding people (not ideas) to the same standards is probably the most fundamental liberal idea. That would have made me a radical in the 1920s, a civil rights activist in the 1960s, and a racist hate-monger according to modern day college activists.

all this would be fine and dandy if racial experience/history in america were interchangeable. like we could just flip it up and pretend like an article that lists ten things mexicans should stop saying would have the same context as ten things whites should stop saying. mexicans are a disadvantaged group, cant talk about it OR whites are a disadvantaged group, can't talk about it are UNTRUE statements no matter where you're making them from.

i have no idea what you're talking about with liberal media putting white people on a pedestal. i don't really care about offense, no matter what, someone is offended.

and good luck to anyone who successfully bans any 'speech'. i don't blame millennials for any of this safe space trigger nonsense, i blame helicopter parenting. got to go big picture. i'm still no closer to understanding what 'traditional liberal ideas' make you hostile. i also don't see how you'd be considered a racist hate monger by activists.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I think I can chime in here as to why some of the more crazy right wing people are getting crazier. I studied at one of the most liberal universities in the US (in NYC) and before studying there, I never had any negative image of liberalism/political correctness. I studied art and design. I was never a hugely political person when I was a student, I have become more interested now because I'm older and see how politics affect us, but when I was younger, it just wasn't really my thing. I was interested in drawing and creating stuff at a high level, that's all. I didn't want my art/creations to have a "message" in them, I just wanted to learn to master a craft.

However, the professors/curriculum a the school were absurdly forceful with their political agenda. Professors would basically give you and F if your project didn't have a political message of what they considered important. If your project didn't have a message about the disadvantaged/environmentalism/feminism,etc in it, they just basically told you that you weren't a real artist or designer and your project was awful. Look, I do not have a problem with people who want to make art about these things....it's completely fine! It's great! But the insane forcefulness and ultimatum of "make your project about progressive politics or get an F" is insane. I wanted my project to be about traditional art, old stuff like medieval books and medieval European imagery....every single professor of my got in face and told me "That's not a real project" "You can't make that" "There's no thesis, no idea behind this" "That's too Euro-centric"....I mean it was just insane, I literally felt like the lone person being berated by these crazy, absurd and yes, discriminatory professors who outnumbered me, and then all the other students were mostly trustafarian rich kids who just blindly followed whatever the profs said. I could at least respect someone who stood up for what they believed in, but it really was that top-down, with the students just being like sheep who followed orders.

If people legitimately believe in some political idea and they want to make projects about it, then go for it! But why berate and criticize and even stop/block people from making something traditional/not political? I didn't grow to hate this people, it just made me hate myself. I felt like there was something wrong with me and my tastes and what I liked. Another thing which my "liberal" (I hate calling them that because to me that kind of insane behavior isn't liberal) profs didn't seem to grasp was.....just because you like something traditional/"European" doesn't mean you're a Fascist/white supremacist. It was like they couldn't see the pure artistic value in anything anymore because they were so conditioned into making everything a political crusade. It felt like respecting anything European (my thing was medieval books and illuminated manuscripts) mean that you must be anti-progressive and want to live in the past, you're not allowed to just appreciate/create anything anymore unless you have an agenda/message. It's messed up. No wonder most people hate contemporary art...I don't blame them!

Some of the methods in "liberal" universities are creepily indoctrinating and patronizing. Especially when their attitude is so extreme that they completely throw out anything that doesn't agree or fit their interests/agendas, or they belittle you so much for liking it that you feel like an idiot. I guess when some more right wing people see this, they get angry and it encourages there hate towards the other side. Extremism on all sides is messed up. Extremism breeds extremism.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

all this would be fine and dandy if racial experience/history in america were interchangeable. like we could just flip it up and pretend like an article that lists ten things mexicans should stop saying would have the same context as ten things whites should stop saying. mexicans are a disadvantaged group, cant talk about it OR whites are a disadvantaged group, can't talk about it are UNTRUE statements no matter where you're making them from.

i have no idea what you're talking about with liberal media putting white people on a pedestal. i don't really care about offense, no matter what, someone is offended.

and good luck to anyone who successfully bans any 'speech'. i don't blame millennials for any of this safe space trigger nonsense, i blame helicopter parenting (add academia and I agree). got to go big picture. i'm still no closer to understanding what 'traditional liberal ideas' make you hostile. i also don't see how you'd be considered a racist hate monger by activists.

You're mixing history and personal experience here. Subjective experience and objective history are two very different things.

No one can argue that black Americans have not historically been disadvantaged in the U.S. But in the contemporary United States, what makes i.e. an Asian American more disadvantaged than a lower middle class white American? What makes a middle class Mexican American in California less advantaged than a middle class Italian American in New Jersey? Why should an Irish American coal miner in West Virginia suck it up and check his white privilege, while a Chinese American in San Francisco should be outraged by virtually the same headline?

I think we agree on most issues.

I think we disagree on where the biggest 'threats' come from, and I think we disagree on solutions.

As far as how not seeing people by their skin color makes you a racist, that's a different topic I choose to ignore, because the alternative that we should live by, as argued by this Ph.D psychologist, is a society where we constantly go around reminding each other of our differences rather than similarities.

Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism

I think I can chime in here as to why some of the more crazy right wing people are getting crazier. I studied at one of the most liberal universities in the US (in NYC) and before studying there, I never had any negative image of liberalism/political correctness. I studied art and design. I was never a hugely political person when I was a student, I have become more interested now because I'm older and see how politics affect us, but when I was younger, it just wasn't really my thing. I was interested in drawing and creating stuff at a high level, that's all. I didn't want my art/creations to have a "message" in them, I just wanted to learn to master a craft.

However, the professors/curriculum a the school were absurdly forceful with their political agenda. Professors would basically give you and F if your project didn't have a political message of what they considered important. If your project didn't have a message about the disadvantaged/environmentalism/feminism,etc in it, they just basically told you that you weren't a real artist or designer and your project was awful. Look, I do not have a problem with people who want to make art about these things....it's completely fine! It's great! But the insane forcefulness and ultimatum of "make your project about progressive politics or get an F" is insane. I wanted my project to be about traditional art, old stuff like medieval books and medieval European imagery....every single professor of my got in face and told me "That's not a real project" "You can't make that" "There's no thesis, no idea behind this" "That's too Euro-centric"....I mean it was just insane, I literally felt like the lone person being berated by these crazy, absurd and yes, discriminatory professors who outnumbered me, and then all the other students were mostly trustafarian rich kids who just blindly followed whatever the profs said. I could at least respect someone who stood up for what they believed in, but it really was that top-down, with the students just being like sheep who followed orders.

If people legitimately believe in some political idea and they want to make projects about it, then go for it! But why berate and criticize and even stop/block people from making something traditional/not political? I didn't grow to hate this people, it just made me hate myself. I felt like there was something wrong with me and my tastes and what I liked. Another thing which my "liberal" (I hate calling them that because to me that kind of insane behavior isn't liberal) profs didn't seem to grasp was.....just because you like something traditional/"European" doesn't mean you're a Fascist/white supremacist. It was like they couldn't see the pure artistic value in anything anymore because they were so conditioned into making everything a political crusade. It felt like respecting anything European (my thing was medieval books and illuminated manuscripts) mean that you must be anti-progressive and want to live in the past, you're not allowed to just appreciate/create anything anymore unless you have an agenda/message. It's messed up. No wonder most people hate contemporary art...I don't blame them!

Some of the methods in "liberal" universities are creepily indoctrinating and patronizing. Especially when their attitude is so extreme that they completely throw out anything that doesn't agree or fit their interests/agendas, or they belittle you so much for liking it that you feel like an idiot. I guess when some more right wing people see this, they get angry and it encourages there hate towards the other side. Extremism on all sides is messed up. Extremism breeds extremism.

are you saying you're right wing and getting crazier because liberal professors didn't let you make medieval projects otherwise known as contemporary art? you'll have to excuse me, i didn't go to college and after reading this i'm wondering if i've ever visited earth. don't hate yourself though, i don't think being partial to medieval stuff has to be a death sentence.

You're mixing history and personal experience here.

so you're allowed to do it but i'm not?! boo.

As far as how not seeing people by their skin color makes you a racist, that's a different topic I choose to ignore, because the alternative that we should live by, as argued by this Ph.D psychologist, is a society where we constantly go around reminding each other of our differences rather than similarities.

Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism

when were we talking about 'not seeing people by the skin color makes you a racist'? people see skin color, that doesn't make them racist. people who don't see skin color are blind. i don't think blind people are racist as a whole..clayton bigsby comes to mind.

people have different experiences in life depending upon their skin color - a black person can have experiences that i can't - and vice versa. that's reality. and we should all feel comfortable enough to talk about our own experiences without feeling personally offended for our race by the other. because ultimately our similarities outnumber our differences.

Timeline

are you saying you're right wing and getting crazier because liberal professors didn't let you make medieval projects otherwise known as contemporary art? you'll have to excuse me, i didn't go to college and after reading this i'm wondering if i've ever visited earth. don't hate yourself though, i don't think being partial to medieval stuff has to be a death sentence.

I don't think all universities are as bad as mine! My sister also went to college in NYC and she had a great experience. It was liberal, but not extremely so. They basically just focused on teaching instead of politics/agendas. She also went to a public college, whereas mine was private. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

The crazy right wingers just act crazier because the extreme liberals are acting crazy. Reaction breeds reaction. There are crazies on both sides. Of course the really insane racist, violent right wingers are way scarier than the crazy SJW liberals (I think that's what they're called nowadays) but the craziness of such liberals is making things worse, not better.

I know the school wanted me to really care about environmentalism, feminism, etc....but I don't think forcing people/beating it into people by threatening low grades is a very good way to go about educating people. I mean, even if they had tried to find a bridge between what I was interested in and their views would've been nice. But it was just "Nope, you're wrong. We're right. We know better than you." I mean, nobody is every going to be convinced and encouraged to listen/change their mind if you come at it with such a patronizing attitude. My profs were guilty of that and a lot of extreme folks on the left are guilty of it. It creates division, which breeds extremism....thus the extreme right grows.

Spoiler

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Spoiler

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I had some agenda-driven professors (though by far not most of them). I think a lot of it is trying to make people think critically, but failing to realize that it comes across sounding like indoctrination after a while. Simply put, I don't think it hurts to view the world from a non-western-centric perspective if that's what you've grown up with. But once your curriculum becomes entirely "this is what's right and wrong", you're actually just making people dumber in the long run because you're teaching them an ideology, but not how to critically question themselves. In extreme cases it's like learning a religion, but to criticize it is blasphemy.

In physics, you're never taught to accept something as true without firm, irrefutable evidence. You're taught to question everything.

In social science, which has no firm, irrefutable evidence, it seems like more and more students are failing to apply critical analysis, turning ideas like the patriarchy, gender wage gap, privilege theory, cultural relativity etc. into these almost folkloric truths never to be questioned, lest you be a [ ___ist/phobe] - the SJW version of "God did it."

Edited by JayJayH

The crazy right wingers just act crazier because the extreme liberals are acting crazy. Reaction breeds reaction. There are crazies on both sides. Of course the really insane racist, violent right wingers are way scarier than the crazy SJW liberals (I think that's what they're called nowadays) but the craziness of such liberals is making things worse, not better.

crazy right wingers aren't brand new, they didn't just roll in with trump. and from where i sit they aren't any more crazy now than they were in 2008. but i suppose i just don't live in a big city with proper sjw liberals because i've zero experience with such phenomenon.

Timeline

crazy right wingers aren't brand new, they didn't just roll in with trump. and from where i sit they aren't any more crazy now than they were in 2008. but i suppose i just don't live in a big city with proper sjw liberals because i've zero experience with such phenomenon.

Be glad you've never experienced it! I wouldn't wish it on anyone, lol. It is definitely more of a big city thing. I ended up vowing to never go back to NYC because it's filled with the worst of the worst....imagine people like Trump and those crazy folks like my professors. Unfortunately the squeakiest wheels get the most grease so a lot of those crazier folks (on both sides) get the most YouTube views, media attention, etc....causing a lot of comment wars and anger on both sides.

You didn't hear about "Mattress Girl" from Columbia U and her art project about rape? Again, pointing out the wrongs of rape and its affect on victims, to want to call attention to it as a problem on campus are all valid points...but expecting every art kid to make projects like hers is kind of insane. Especially some of the stuff her "art" included in it...google it if you're curious. :wacko:

I had some agenda-driven professors (though by far not most of them). I think a lot of it is trying to make people think critically, but failing to realize that it comes across sounding like indoctrination after a while. Simply put, I don't think it hurts to view the world from a non-western-centric perspective if that's what you've grown up with. But once your curriculum becomes entirely "this is what's right and wrong", you're actually just making people dumber in the long run because you're teaching them an ideology, but not how to critically question themselves. In extreme cases it's like learning a religion, but to criticize it is blasphemy.

In physics, you're never taught to accept something as true without firm, irrefutable evidence. You're taught to question everything.

In social science, which has no firm, irrefutable evidence, it seems like more and more students are failing to apply critical analysis, turning ideas like the patriarchy, gender wage gap, privilege theory, cultural relativity etc. into these almost folkloric truths never to be questioned, lest you be a [ ___ist/phobe] - the SJW version of "God did it."

I totally agree, JayJayH. I actually like eco-friendly policy and obviously as a female feminism is something I directly benefit from. I have no problem with critical courses, post-colonialism, etc. It's certainly a good thing to see the opposition of whatever it is your support, it helps you get a clearer, stronger idea of your own values and why you care about them.

But indeed, some places and people are guilty of a kind of dogmatic brand of liberalism which shuts down debate altogether. The intentions are good but the methodology ends up causing more hurt than help.

Spoiler

Spoiler

when were we talking about 'not seeing people by the skin color makes you a racist'? people see skin color, that doesn't make them racist. people who don't see skin color are blind. i don't think blind people are racist as a whole..clayton bigsby comes to mind.

people have different experiences in life depending upon their skin color - a black person can have experiences that i can't - and vice versa. that's reality. and we should all feel comfortable enough to talk about our own experiences without feeling personally offended for our race by the other. because ultimately our similarities outnumber our differences.

YES!! Clayton Bigsby is the only white supremacist I ever liked.

I agree with you. I do think we should feel comfortable, but I really don't think you can create an environment in which everyone can feel comfortable unless they're on equal terms. I don't say "equal terms" lightly, because that's obviously a loaded term. People should be listened to, but demonizing white men is a dangerous road to go down. I don't say that because I am a white man. I say it because I have a lot more in common with my Japanese American neighbor than I do with my white-man coworker. Or some random Irish American in Boston.

What's happening is "white people" are basically told pushed to embrace their "whiteness" and told to repent for it. This is a really bad idea. Traditionally, because white Americans have been the majority, very few white people have thought of themselves as "a race." They've just thought of themselves as "Americans." Maybe Italian or Polish or Dutch. That's why we don't have "White Student Unions" on college campuses, or a national organization for white Americans. There has never been a need for that.

That's changing, because all of a sudden, the left has started referring to "white people" in tribal terms.

And if there is anything we don't need after this election cycle, it's white Americans becoming more tribal.

I'd rather see minorities becoming less tribal and thought of as simply unhyphenated Americans.

Timeline

Clayton Bigsby for president!

Clayton-Bigsby-16-Let-That-Hate-Out.jpg

Spoiler

Spoiler

Be glad you've never experienced it! I wouldn't wish it on anyone, lol. It is definitely more of a big city thing. I ended up vowing to never go back to NYC because it's filled with the worst of the worst....imagine people like Trump and those crazy folks like my professors. Unfortunately the squeakiest wheels get the most grease so a lot of those crazier folks (on both sides) get the most YouTube views, media attention, etc....causing a lot of comment wars and anger on both sides.

You didn't hear about "Mattress Girl" from Columbia U and her art project about rape? Again, pointing out the wrongs of rape and its affect on victims, to want to call attention to it as a problem on campus are all valid points...but expecting every art kid to make projects like hers is kind of insane. Especially some of the stuff her "art" included in it...google it if you're curious. :wacko:

now i'm not sure if your beef is with indoctrinating librul professors or new york.

not sure what the mattress girl has to do with librul bullying in the academic realm but the part in bold is definitely new to me.. and it doesn't make sense because of course, not all art kids are expected to make projects like hers.

I imagine your art professors cut their teeth in the 70s or something. Art must have meaning. And postmodern art is increasingly about the meaning and less about the form. Making copies of medieval stuff is derivative, unless you are going to get vellum and gold leaf and immerse yourself in some sort of living history project. So what is the point of your medieval art? That is what I expect they wanted you to think about, and to be able to defend. But it's too bad if they made it seem like you needed to do your own performance of the "inner scroll" to do something meaningful.

JayJay, I think you are in a bubble, man. MTV is a frame of reference for you? MTV stopped being relevant in the 90s, no? You keep posting Huffpo op-eds. Are those relevant for you too? As an online source they can post of lot of crappy op-eds.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!