michaelg1

"Person paying for trip" if funds will be provided by me to applicant in advance?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hello, I'm a US citizen and my girlfriend (university student) is filling out the DS-160 to apply for a B2 visa to visit me in the US for 2 weeks in October. She currently has just enough savings in her account to cover airfare (about $1000). She will be staying with me and I will cover any/all additional expenses during the visit.

Since she has enough money to cover the air tickets, should she put "self" as the person paying for the trip? Or, since her savings is just barely enough to cover the tickets, and I will be covering all other expenses, should she name me as the person paying for the trip? Would I be "friend", "other", or US petitioner? Would it be beneficial or detrimental to have me appear as the person funding her trip? I also intend to provide a letter of invitation/sponsorship if that will help.

We have heard that it is best to show a bank account statement with funds well in excess of the total cost of a visit. I plan to wire money to her account to bring the total up to about $5000. Would the incoming wire transfer record within 6-8 weeks of her interview be detrimental to her application? Or would it still be better to have this appear, but then a larger total savings in her account?

Thanks!

MG

Yes, the plan is not to lie and she will definitely be up front about all the facts, but it can be seen as her paying for the trip or me paying for the trip depending on how you look at it.

So we are trying to determine the best selection to make on the DS-160 form, and then if asked for details by the interviewer she will provide all the facts.

Thanks!

MG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello, I'm a US citizen and my girlfriend (university student) is filling out the DS-160 to apply for a B2 visa to visit me in the US for 2 weeks in October. She currently has just enough savings in her account to cover airfare (about $1000). She will be staying with me and I will cover any/all additional expenses during the visit.
Since she has enough money to cover the air tickets, should she put "self" as the person paying for the trip? Or, since her savings is just barely enough to cover the tickets, and I will be covering all other expenses, should she name me as the person paying for the trip? Would I be "friend", "other", or US petitioner? Would it be beneficial or detrimental to have me appear as the person funding her trip? I also intend to provide a letter of invitation/sponsorship if that will help.
We have heard that it is best to show a bank account statement with funds well in excess of the total cost of a visit. I plan to wire money to her account to bring the total up to about $5000. Would the incoming wire transfer record within 6-8 weeks of her interview be detrimental to her application? Or would it still be better to have this appear, but then a larger total savings in her account?
Thanks!
MG

Nature of funds > amount of funds, it doesn't matter when you wired money, big money flow into her account before interview is always very suspicious.

is she employed in her homecountry? What about other strong ties?

Also if they find out you're boyfriend she has huge chances to get denied depending on the officer and her other evidence, because of possible immigration intent.

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

The letter will hinder if not completely blow her chances of a visa. I wouldn't bother with that part at all. Just be truthful in your answers and I don't suggest wiring her a large sum of money she can't honestly say she's earned herself.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Nature of funds > amount of funds, it doesn't matter when you wired money, big money flow into her account before interview is always very suspicious.

is she employed in her homecountry? What about other strong ties?

Also if they find out you're boyfriend she has huge chances to get denied depending on the officer and her other evidence, because of possible immigration intent.

I was not intending to sneak money into her account, but rather show that she has enough money on hand in her name to not become a "burden of the state" for the duration of the trip. Is it better to not wire the money and just state that I will be supporting her while in the US?

It seems that either way, she should state me as the "person paying for trip" regardless of whether I transfer money to her account, correct? Would I be a "friend", "other", or "US petitioner"?

She is not employed in her home country but studying to become a medical doctor (still has several of class and training left).

The letter will hinder if not completely blow her chances of a visa. I wouldn't bother with that part at all. Just be truthful in your answers and I don't suggest wiring her a large sum of money she can't honestly say she's earned herself.

But if the officer is already aware that I am paying for the trip, due to my name being stated in the DS-160 as the person paying, would it not still be better to provide a signed letter of invitation/sponsorship so that the officer can check and validate the fact?

Thanks for the quick and helpful feedback!

MG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which Country?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I don't know why people are reluctant to reveal the country where the visa applicant is from. Seems to be a common thing here. It would be helpful to know so that people with experience of that embassy can advise.

Anyway, you are her boyfriend. Not her friend. Not "other". And there is no petitioner for a visitor visa. If you start referring to yourself as a petitioner then there is every chance she will be denied. Petitioners are for immigrant visas so they will know that you have been brushing up on how to immigrate.

If you are covering her costs in the USA there's no need to wire the money to her. The CO at the embassy will be very much aware of how much money the average student has at their disposal in that particular country. They know every trick. And that one is the oldest trick in the book.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

check this link also to see her chances by the average statistics

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY15.pdf

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What country is your girlfriend from? And yes it matters.

What ties does your girlfriend have to her home country? This matters more than if you wire money into her account vs. just paying for everything once she gets to the U.S.

Does she have a job? Does she rent an apartment or have a mortgage?

Good luck

Edit to add - You are not a "U.S. petitioner". You are the boyfriend of a person applying for a tourist visa. There is no petition involved.

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I don't know why people are reluctant to reveal the country where the visa applicant is from. Seems to be a common thing here. It would be helpful to know so that people with experience of that embassy can advise.

Anyway, you are her boyfriend. Not her friend. Not "other". And there is no petitioner for a visitor visa. If you start referring to yourself as a petitioner then there is every chance she will be denied. Petitioners are for immigrant visas so they will know that you have been brushing up on how to immigrate.

If you are covering her costs in the USA there's no need to wire the money to her. The CO at the embassy will be very much aware of how much money the average student has at their disposal in that particular country. They know every trick. And that one is the oldest trick in the book.

What country is your girlfriend from? And yes it matters.

What ties does your girlfriend have to her home country? This matters more than if you wire money into her account vs. just paying for everything once she gets to the U.S.

Does she have a job? Does she rent an apartment or have a mortgage?

Good luck

Edit to add - You are not a "U.S. petitioner". You are the boyfriend of a person applying for a tourist visa. There is no petition involved.

Certainly, if it helps she is a Philippines national, we met during a scuba diving trip -- we realize the odds are against us for US travel visa but she honestly not applying for this visit with any intent to immigrate and is on track to become an MD at her university in Manila. Whatever the odds we have decided to give it our best effort.

As a full time student she does not have a mortgage or job at the moment, but she does rent her own apartment. She covers her cost of living through a combination of monthly remittance from her father who is working abroad, as well as her own savings from working part time before. Her ties are mostly familial ones, as would be expected for a student, her mother and brothers and large extended family of aunts and uncles and cousins all live in the Philippines still. She does not have any family living in the US.

So I will not bother wiring any money and just plan on covering expenses when she arrives. It seems that it would be best for her to name me as "the person paying for the trip" despite her covering the airfare? And in that case there is no"boyfriend" selection in the drop down menu, so would it be "friend" or "other", with a verbal explanation of the relationship if asked by the officer?

As for the invitation letter, it seems the jury is still out as to whether this would help or hinder? If providing one I would basically just be using it to assure them that I am willing to cover costs of her stay during the two weeks in the US, if they did in fact wish to read it.

Thanks for all the thoughtful insight!

MG

It hinders. Everytime someone mentions they included an invitation letter it is always saying their girl/boyfriend or fiancé(e) has been denied their tourist visa.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

The invitation letter means nothing to the CO. In our country, US embassy has in fact banned to bring the invitation letter for visitor visas. The embassy directive says any such things if brought in will be taken by the security.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.