22 posts in this topic

As a born and raised American, I now appreciate immigration since I'm going through it with my husband. What I hate now, especially because of VisaJourney are shady/fraudulent marriages.

I have a classmate who struggles in class and I help him a lot since I'm doing well and he isn't.

He's from Ghana so I asked him how he immigrated here to the USA. He told me his "uncle" helped him immigrate by going through the "loopholes". He married a woman he's not in a relationship with to get the visa. He showed me how they staged pictures and how his "uncle" wrote a background about his wife for the interview. Obviously, he went through and immigrated. He has a girlfriend and children he'll immigrate to the states when he divorces the woman.

In the most friendliest way I told him what he did was dishonest and fraud.

As someone who been with my husband for years, petitioned him almost a year ago,seen VJers get CC before me who petitioned after me, received e-mails by NVC about backlogs, received an RFE because supposedly I didn't sign my AOS, and broke down from missing my husband. I resent people like this classmate! I want nothing to do with him now.

Would me knowing about this guy's fraud marriage make me an accomplice if I don't say anything?

Should I even make an effort to report him?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

1. No, it does not make you an accomplice. What this guy did was wrong, but I doubt anybody will blame you for not wanting to get into this mess.

I think, you're most upset about the fact that you've helped him in class a lot and shown him your kindness before knowing that he is a fraud person who cheated his way into US and the likes of him are what makes the process hard for us.

And that's one tough life lesson: yes, sometime we may unknowingly help and put in our resources and donate to poor people, to liars, to people we would not have wanted anything to do with. It is OK. You tried to help him in class, that was a good, decent, kind thing to do. :) It is also OK to not help him anymore. It is OK to report him to USCIS if it will make you feel better, but I honestly believe it is also OK to not report him.

Basically, I'm sorry you encountered him, but he should not be your concern unless you make it your concern.

K1 to POE
01.14.2015 - met online in an RPG chatroom
02.27.2015 - met in person
04.20.2015 - I-129F mailed
04.21.2015 - I-129F received by the Lockbox as per USPS site
04.24.2015 - NOA-1 electronic copy received: both SMS (text) and e-mail
04.30.2015 - NOA-1 paper version received
06.01.2015 - NOA-2 e-mail. SQUEE! =)
06.05.2015 - NOA-2 paper version.
06.12.2015 - NVC Received, Case # Assigned (not yet visible on CEAC)
06.17.2015 - NVC processing completed, now visible on CEAC with status "Ready"
06.24.2015 - CEAC status "Administrative Processing" (for Russia: received by the Embassy, can schedule the interview).
06.26.2015 - Crossed the t's and dotted the i's, this time for real. Scheduled the interview!
07.20.2015 - Medical. Piece of cake!
07.22.2015 - Interview. 2 hours worth of waiting and 5 minutes worth of talking to the consul, "your visa is approved". Yaaay!
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA. Hooray!! Welcome, my love.

POE to Green Card:
10.09.2015 - POE in Boston, MA
10.14.2015 - applied for SSN; got it a couple days later in the mail
10.31.2015 - Wedding :halloween:
11.21.2015 - Filed AOS (package including Travel Parole & Employment)
11.25.2015 - electronic NOA-1(s), 11.27.2015 - Check cashed
11.30.2015 - NOA-1s

12.18.2015 - RFE (forgot to write my name in one place on the Affidavit of Support)

12.21.2015 - Biometrics

12.23.2015 - RFE Response received by USCIS

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP approved!

02.10.2016 - EAD/AP received!

05.12.2016 - Interview scheduled for 06.15.2016 (wow, that really took 6 months from filing...)

06.15.2016 - Interview. Approved! (but not at the interview, got notification about 4 hours later)

06.30.2016 - Green Card Received!

Filed: Timeline

Tough situation. I am sorry that you know someone who defrauded the government when we are trying to do it legally. Further, I am sorry that people are so desperate to come to the U.S. that they'll lie and cheat the system.

If it was me in this situation I would contact ICE - I would send them an e-mail with the name of the person and what I know of the situation. In all honesty, ICE probably won't go to his house and pick him up, they don't have the resources to focus on one particular person. But they may make a note in his file for when he files for girlfriend.

Good luck to you

I don't think you are obligated to say anything because it's all "verbal." No concrete evidence and like it was said, ICE doesn't have the resources. You might just have to bite your tongue on this one and just distance yourself. I bet Karma bites him in the ### at some point. However, if you want, contact ICE so they can make a note. Karma may come quicker.

Tough situation. I am sorry that you know someone who defrauded the government when we are trying to do it legally. Further, I am sorry that people are so desperate to come to the U.S. that they'll lie and cheat the system.

If it was me in this situation I would contact ICE - I would send them an e-mail with the name of the person and what I know of the situation. In all honesty, ICE probably won't go to his house and pick him up, they don't have the resources to focus on one particular person. But they may make a note in his file for when he files for girlfriend.

Good luck to you

Thanks for the advice. How do I contact ICE?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From the bottom of this page

VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

ICE is typically concerned with groups of illegals, not individual fraudsters. If you have more than verbal evidence, set an InfoPass appointment and take everything that you have to the USCIS FDNS officer.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I understand how annoyed you are. My husband had an online buddy commit visa fraud. They got married in Canada and with the help of a lawyer, lied to the CBP and she AOS'd. He was most annoyed when this guy was already living with his wife while we were still waiting. But he later found out the guy wasn't happy in his marriage so there's some Karma already.

If it was me, with this guy in your class, I'd probably inform ICE because it's the right thing to do, and you owe him nothing. They wont do anything most likely, but at least you know you did the right thing.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

As a born and raised American, I now appreciate immigration since I'm going through it with my husband. What I hate now, especially because of VisaJourney are shady/fraudulent marriages.

I have a classmate who struggles in class and I help him a lot since I'm doing well and he isn't.

He's from Ghana so I asked him how he immigrated here to the USA. He told me his "uncle" helped him immigrate by going through the "loopholes". He married a woman he's not in a relationship with to get the visa. He showed me how they staged pictures and how his "uncle" wrote a background about his wife for the interview. Obviously, he went through and immigrated. He has a girlfriend and children he'll immigrate to the states when he divorces the woman.

In the most friendliest way I told him what he did was dishonest and fraud.

As someone who been with my husband for years, petitioned him almost a year ago,seen VJers get CC before me who petitioned after me, received e-mails by NVC about backlogs, received an RFE because supposedly I didn't sign my AOS, and broke down from missing my husband. I resent people like this classmate! I want nothing to do with him now.

Would me knowing about this guy's fraud marriage make me an accomplice if I don't say anything?

Should I even make an effort to report him?

Hopefully, there will be no marriage based visas/greencards. Also, lot of folks have path to immigrate on their own with failed marriages. USCIS should close these gaps.

I didn't notice any piece of evidence that would be presented to USCIS or ICE. If you have something then you can report.....else it's just hearsay.

ICE is typically concerned with groups of illegals, not individual fraudsters. If you have more than verbal evidence, set an InfoPass appointment and take everything that you have to the USCIS FDNS officer.

Unfortunately, I don't have any physical evidence and I don't want to go out of my way to get it. I'll just contact ICE his name and his intentions. After hearing him brag about how easy it is to get in America I couldn't stand listening anymore lol.

Thanks all for your input! You all say report him to ICE and I will do that.

Edited by FxL

I had almost the same thing happen to me. There is this guy I know at the gym from Pakistan, good guy, nice and friendly help each other out while weight lifting. I asked him how he came here, he told me with a student visa at first and then found some agency to help him stay by a fraudulent marriage. How they helped him stage photos, paperwork to make it look like they were together, he told me paid upwards of $10k for all that. I was pretty mad at first but then I realized there is nothing that ICE will do.

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately, I don't have any physical evidence and I don't want to go out of my way to get it. I'll just contact ICE his name and his intentions. After hearing him brag about how easy it is to get in America I couldn't stand listening anymore lol.

Thanks all for your input! You all say report him to ICE and I will do that.

Unfortunate situation but one thing not being made clear to you in all the reply posts is until you have concrete evidence, reporting on just something you were told is hearsay and has no basis..simple as that. It's sad but that's how the system works. Why do you think in criminal cases, the police have to dig up concrete evidence when everything points out that someone did actually commit a crime, it's to prevent against lawsuits due to lack of evidence etc.

If you have concrete evidence (and don't try secretly audio taping him without his consent as that won't fly if it ever goes to court as well), then yes, go ahead and report him to ICE. If not, you are just wasting your time and you are better off distancing yourself from this fraud and hoping the law catches up to him.

It's sad it works that way but it's designed to protect us all from anyone who tries to lie and frame things against us. Not implying in anyway that's what you're doing..I truly believe you.

Edited by ManCharsey

You talk you teach, you listen you learn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unfortunately, hearsay doesn't cut it.

While my wife was 6 months into what turned out to be an 8-month AOS process, at a social gathering we overheard the mother of 1/2 of a "couple" who married, AOS'd and divorced all within 3 months basically bragging because the "husband" received his GC so fast that her daughter didn't have to stay "married" that long. Infuriating is what it was, especially knowing that the sham couple probably got near-zero scrutiny because the "husband" was from Canada, while my wife's case dragged on and on for what seemed like an eternity.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

If it were me I'd play along and find out were he lives and write his wife a nice letter, it's better she knows now so she can protect herself from his fraudulent azz, but that's just me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.