Erin B

My husband was denied citizenship due to "lack of moral character" and the fact that he was "inadmissable as a legal resident"

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It is time for a lawyer. If you got all the evidence and facts down, I think suing them is the most sensible option. You can prove it at court and have the judge order USCIS to approve. There is a way for you to waive legal fee as I have read about it somewhere, it's called Equal Access to Justice Act or something. Look it up and start the legal process.

Filed: Timeline

He also at the time of application with her was a legal H1B visa holder so he didn't "need" to marry her he had just won the lottery thing they do to convert his visa to citizenship...he did not need citizenship through her at all! He only applied through me because AFTER we got married he got laid off and lost his visa as a result and could not find another company to sponsor him so he applied through me.

Yes you are correct I did mix up my terminology...he withdrew his petition for a green card NOT for citizenship...he did not need a green card at the time because he had an H1B visa

Time to lawyer up and prove he signed no I 1130 in te past

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

To the author of this topic:

You mentioned he withdrew the adjustment of status application once they got divorced, and prior to that he held H1B visa. Well, usually, once you apply for an adjustment of status the previous immigration status is no longer valid. What was his immigration status at the moment YOU petitioned his green card? Was he illegal? If so, then yes, the USCIS might have a ground to assume he was seeking a fast way of receiving a permanent residence. First marriage didn't work, so a year later there was another one that "provided" him a GC. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that was his intention but that's what the USCIS can assume based on the evidence provided from the first I-130 petition (which we don't know) and from the second one (mind you, we don't know all of the marriage details you and him provided when applying for GC, and later for removal conditions). They pay attention at every little thing concerning your bona fide marriage. This is their job.

I have a real life story in that regard. My close friend was married with USC, he petitioned her GC, but a few years later the marriage turned unsuccessful. 2 years later she met a guy from her home country, fell in love with him, and re-married...he was a construction worker with no immigration status. Both are nice people, both are hard workers. When it became time for her to apply for a citizenship (5 yr rule) she got denied based on a "bad moral character", and was told to re-apply in 5 years.But guess what...During the interview the entire conversation with an IO (minus the test) was about why her first marriage failed and why she re-married someone (who is actually an illegal immigrant). Yes, she has true feelings in the current marriage and married on a good faith first time, but that is how USCIS views cases like this. My attorney told similar stories in her practice.

So things happens. and again, we don't know your case from the bottom to the top.

I wish you and your husband good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband and I met in April 2008, he was recently separated from his wife (they had only been married for 4 months). They filed officially for divorce in late 2008. In Dec 2008 he withdrew his petition for citizenship under her name. We ended up marrying in July 2009 (I was pregnant at the time) and he was granted permanant resident status in June 2010. He went through the green card process with no issues, we have now been married almost 6 years. He applied for citizenship last year and was recently denied based on "lack of moral character" and the fact that "he was inadmissable at the time he was admitted to the US for his GC". The interviewed his former wife who claims that he forged her signatures on the I-130. I highly doubt that is true, and she stated that she married him in exchange for money etc. I do know that there were many times when we started dating that she threatened to tell immigration that he only married her for green card status if he did not buy her stuff, or whatever. When they divorced she said she would tell the immigration anything she could to get him deported...fast forward 6 years he obtained his green card based on our marriage, but now they are saying that he was "inadmissable" at the time. However, our marriage is very valid and real, we have 3 children together and are very happy. What can we do? Please advise me, we are going to see an immigration attorney on Monday, just wanting to know what to expect.

You say he was "recently" denied. What does recently mean? That's the first step, before people start recommending lawsuits. Check the denial letter that you received; it should tell you when you can appeal.

Check Question 21 and Question 22 in the Naturalization Guide (page 12).

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/M-476.pdf

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

Update for those who are interested.

We met with several attorneys, found one that came highly recommended to us via another attorney. He reviewed all of our paperwork, and basically said this case is a no brainer, that we easily will win on appeal, We have copies of all the papers his ex-wife signed, it is clear that the signature is the exact same on every one, and the handwriting is very different from my husbands. We have proof of joint bank accounts, she was on his health insurance etc. PLUS since he got no immigration benefit from being married to her, the attorney said there is no grounds for their denial. So we have decided to appeal the decision and go from there! Thanks for all of your advise, it really did help me calm down and not panic!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

That's reassuring. Keep us apprised.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Update for those who are interested.

We met with several attorneys, found one that came highly recommended to us via another attorney. He reviewed all of our paperwork, and basically said this case is a no brainer, that we easily will win on appeal, We have copies of all the papers his ex-wife signed, it is clear that the signature is the exact same on every one, and the handwriting is very different from my husbands. We have proof of joint bank accounts, she was on his health insurance etc. PLUS since he got no immigration benefit from being married to her, the attorney said there is no grounds for their denial. So we have decided to appeal the decision and go from there! Thanks for all of your advise, it really did help me calm down and not panic!

I'm glad to hear that. Sadly, USCIS interviewers are not consistent, but this is something a supervisor should have caught. If your case is as direct as you've told us, you should have been approved.

A couple of years ago, an applicant was denied because USCIS scheduled his interview 2 days before his 5th anniversary as a permanent resident. He asked them to approve his application and schedule his oath after the anniversary (which would have been perfectly legal) and they declined. He asked them to reschedule his interview for a few days later (which would have been perfectly legal) and they declined. He complained that they messed up by scheduling his interview early (actually there's nothing wrong with an early interview) and they said there was nothing they could do. He appealed and his appeal was accepted and his application approved within a few weeks. This is an extreme example, but I wanted to point out that USCIS makes silly mistakes and that appeals do work.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 11 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.