vatten

Do you like American food and water?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just wondering how you guys are liking the American food and water? Can you eat it without problems? Are you afraid or not about all the dangerous chemicals in food and water that are BANNED in all Europe, Australia, Asia, Russia, Africa, South America and many other countries? Are you ok with unlabeled GMO dangerous foods?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is plenty of food without nasty stuff, and many stuff in other countries have many of the same chemicals just under a different name. As for GMO plenty out there with out it.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Do you like American food and water?

Yes.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's not as bad as you think. Most people drink bottled water, tap water depending on the area is almost always exclusively used for bathing and washing things.

America has stores with a wide range of choices of food and there are smaller shops ran by people from your country back home that usually sell the same things you would find back home more or less.

Many GMOs are labeled and you are free to choose what you want. Don't make it sound like it's catastrophic. You can eat healthy for sure.

Yes, I try to eat very healthy and buy organic as much as I can and cook healthy meals. Only that food here has a very different taste and there is the artificial corn syrup in almost everything, which is so bad for our health. It's just sad that this country doesn't require labels on all their GMO foods. Anyway, there are good places, like some of you said, where you can buy good foods.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The fruit and vegetables in the grocery store are suspect and the bread is atrocious but there are plenty of places that sell organic foods. We bake our own bread and avoid GM stuff and corn syrup as much as possible.

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Food is fine, although I am weirded out by the amount of artificial flavorings they use.. but we rarely buy things that are ready-made anyway. And I'm not sure why ecerybody xomplains about the bread, at least our stores have a very big variety of what you can get.

Water.. Not so much, but we bought a filter to our faucet, because I refuse to buy bottled water. It seems to work pretty well.

My wife trust the water here more so than her home country. I use the standard Brita filtering system at home.

As others have said, you have the option to buy what you want here with or without the chemicals. If you are concern about the food I suggest making your own meal from scratch, or grow the produce yourself. There are also a lot of farmers market around here. My wife gives me a hard time about the c-r-a-p I eat, but I do so in moderations. So far it's not killing me.

Edited by Umka36

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unless you are in a big city, I think most water supplies are quite good in the U.S, and usually water departments send out to residence a report periodically about what is in the water. It hasn't ever been necessary to buy bottled water. I have been able to drink faucet water where I lived in San Francisco, New York City and near Boston, MA, as well as several small towns in the U.S. On the other hand, I remember always buying bottled water in Italy, although I am not sure if it was even necessary, just found it sold everywhere.

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'd rather eat the food here than the food in Denmark any day. There is a much larger selection of meat and fruit/veg available in America and it is just fine. Stay away from processed foods if you don't like them.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nobody forces you to eat food that scares you so much.

There isn't a county on earth that has a more diverse set of choices for every lifestyle - vegetarian, vegan, kosher, natural, etc. plus farmer's markets and delivery. Ethnic food stores are also highly diverse in big cities.

People are more inclined to use their minds in the USA instead of having the nanny-state make all their decisions for them and it works both ways: food isn't guaranteed safe just because the government approves of it and it isn't necessarily dangerous on account of a ban by one government or another. Irradiated foods are a godsend to us because of the vastly superior shelf-life and maintained freshness. Especially what we call "nuclear milk". But some people get all bent out of shape about it.

The one thing that you should be warned about is dihydrogen oxide. It is found in every city water supply that has been tested in the USA. It is corrosive to solid steel and used as a fire retardant so you can imagine what it does to your stomach lining. A large number of industrial processes depend on it as a solvent and is probably most infamously used on prisoners we tortured with it at our CIA black sites around the world. Even bottled water has been tested positive for it, so there's no escaping exposure to it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You drink the water?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.