leonidas_alexan

Job Scam Alert- My experience with a scammer last evening

27 posts in this topic

If none of the other red flags in the op were enough to prove it was a scam, $30 an hour plus benefits for a data entry position should have been.

Filed: Timeline

They ARE exploiting you. A good response might be, "If you respect my skills this highly, pay me accordingly for this project, and let's get going with it."

Yes, I agree that in the cases were I was asked to work for a full week without getting paid (UNLESS they decide to hire me), it was blatant exploitation and I don't regret ignoring those offers.

But with a lot of online marketing jobs, for which I was in the running, I was also asked to do things like look at their website and social media and come up with ideas for improvements. In that case I was never quite sure. In one instance I made it to a final round interview but lost out against a candidate who had better ideas -- I was holding back because I didn't want to reveal all my ideas during the interview! I follow the company on social media, and they definitely hired the other person. In another case I was asked whether I had looked at the company's social media and where I saw room for improvement before I even got any details about the position. I politely told the interviewer that I didn't think I wanted to proceed with the interview process <_<

I'm sure these more subtle instances of data and idea hoarding happen more often than we think. There also seem to be millions of pseudo-positions on reputable job boards like LinkedIn, where companies are not actually trying to fill a position -- they just want to gather as much data as possible.

It's sad because it makes the whole job seeking process even more stressful than it already is. We spend hours and hours filling out online applications, researching companies, arranging phone calls, writing cover letters, preparing for interviews, etc. and most of our hard work is just dumped into a black hole and leads to nothing, except for potentially helping those companies with various marketing, money laundering, etc kind of purposes. Very frustrating!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It's frustrating, certainly, but consider it endemic to our on-line existence. You're unquestionably intelligent and alert enough to see through the phoniness, so avoid taking any of it personally. I recommend that you "damn the torpedoes" and intrepidly forge ahead until things pay off for you. :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

My husband and I just started our job search before moving in January to the USA. We both set up ours resumes trough Career builder, and we have been getting the same emails as you did. After a while and even some phone calls from companies to which we did not apply or had anything to do with our career , I change the settings of the resumes to be private. Its scary and really upsetting, if its too go to be true, most likely it is not.

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I find it quite scary how many scammers there are around on US job boards. Some of them are very obvious, some of them are not obvious at all.

For example, I have been contacted per e-mail by people claiming they had found my resume online and wanted to talk to me about a position I would be a good for when NOTHING on my resume had anything common with their "open position". If you take a very close look at e-mails like that you will usually find something fishy like the company name being misspelled in the e-mail ending or something like that, which is a definite confirmation of it being BS, of course. So those are somewhat obvious. At the same time, though, I have found good jobs with renowned companies through recruiters that reached out to me in a similar way, so I don't want to completely ignore those messages.

I have definitely gotten that invitation for an interview on Yahoo Messenger before, too -- never answered that at all, seemed too weird to me from the start. Good that you reported them.

What bugs me the most, though, are actual companies that exist and do have a few real employees, but their whole way of operating is setting up test phases where you are doing real work for them for no money or very little money. But then they won't actually hire you, they will just let another "candidate" continue the work for them a week later. Whenever a company asks me to complete some sort of work for them during the interview process I get very cautious now (and I have probably missed out on some good job because of that) because I am worried they are just exploiting me!

Unless you are applying for an internship, you should be paid. Even most internships pay a small amount. Never work for "free". SCAM.

Training = working = pay.

Let me tell you how to search for jobs - and don't do the craigslist or job boards - I've never done those.

Figure out where you want to work - I wanted a Chicago position and was willing to commute to work. Next, I googled downtown areas and figured out which companies are based there. Then go to those companies' website - google lists them - and search for positions (no middle man, no recruiters). Apply for any and all that fit your background and experience.

I had a first interview in 10 days followed by two in-person interviews in two weeks and started job by the end of second month of search.

For recruitment agencies - one thing I will say is apply but don't get your hopes up. They're there to expand their base of potential workers so it looks good for the client, not there to help you get a job. The only thing they were good for me is the scores on your typical office package exams - typing, word, excel, powerpoint - do those test and keep the score sheets - you can use them on your resume - typing speed of 85 wpm, word X/Y.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 1 month later...

Am glad you were able to detect thst it was a scam. They really had one of my friend. They sent her a check through FedEx and she went to the bank to cash it. The teller told her it not a real check but a counterfeit. Lucky she was not arrested cos she told them how she got it. She told us we could not stop laughing. Good for you realizing it.

FILED UNDER THREE YEARS RULE (319A)

MAILED N400 - APRIL 17 2015

CHECK CASHED - APRIL 28 2015

RECEIVED NOA IN THE MAIL - MAY-01-2015 (PRIORITY DATE APRIL-23-2015) WHAT THE HECK THAT IS

NOA FOR BIOMETRICS RECEIVED MAY-15-2015 - APPOINTMENT MAY-29-2015 ( EARLY BIOMETRICS MAY-19-2015)

TESTING AND INTERVIEW - MAY-21-2015

INTERVIEW DATE- 07-24-2015 :goofy:

OATH CEREMONY MAILED ON- 08-03-2015 :goofy: :idea: :goofy: :idea: :idea:

OATH CEREMONY- 08-18-2015

I-130 JOURNEY FOR MOM

I-130 MAILED- MARCH-4-2016

I-130 NOA RECEIVED -MARCH 19-2016

I-130 APPROVED- APRIL-26-2016(WOW THAT WAS REALLY QUICK ANYWAY THANKS USCIS TEXAS) (L)

I-130 NOA2 RECEIVED IN MAIL-APRIL30-2016

I-130 SENT TO DEPARTMENT OF STATE - APRIL-29-2016

I-130 RECEIVED NVC-MAY-6-2016

l-130 CASE ASSIGNED- MAY 23-2016

I-130 PAYED AOS FEE- JUNE 1-2016 ($120)

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Omg same thing happened to me today. I gave my home address and phone number will that be a problem? Scared.

Met: Mid 2011

DATING: 4th NOVEMBER 2011 (F) :yes:

Engaged (USA): 30th APRIL 2014

Married( INDIA ): 20th MAY 2015 (L) (L)

VISA PROCESS BEGINS :cry:

USCIS JOURNEY :bonk:

I-130: 4th SEPTEMBER 2015

PRIORITY DATE: 4th SEPTEMBER 2015

SERVICE CENTER: NEBRASKA

RFE: 15th JANUARY 2016 :crying:

HARDCOPY RECEIVED: 28th JANUARY 2016(one passport size photo of my husband)

RFE SENT: 29th JANUARY 2016

RFE RECEIVED: 1st FEBRUARY 2016

I-130 APPROVED: 18th February 2016 (162days) :dancing:

NOA2 HARDCOPY RECEIVED- 27th FEBRUARY 2016

NVC TIME :clock:

I-130 SENT TO NVC- 29th FEBRUARY 2016

Received Case and Invoice Number- 15th March 2016

SUBMITTED DS-261- 15th March 2016

Visited husband in USA for 2months (22nd March TO 23rd May 2016) on Tourist Visa :goofy:

PAY AOS BILL - 7th APRIL2016

PAY IV BILL - 23rd APRIL 2016

SEND (AOS+IV) PACKAGE - 4th MAY 2016

NVC RECEIVED - 9th MAY 2016

SCAN DATE - 9th MAY 2016 :clock:

CASE COMPLETE - 10th JUNE 2016 :dancing:

NVC CC EMAIL RECEIVED- 17th JUNE 2016

MUMBAI CONSULATE TIME :clock:

The Real Game Begins :shocked:

MEDICAL - 20th JULY 2016

BIOMETRICS - 29th JULY 2016

INTERVIEW - 1st AUGUST 2016

RESULT- APPROVED :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Visa ISSUED WITHIN 2HRS OF INTERVIEW :jest:

READY FOR PICKUP AT KOLKATA - 3rd AUGUST 2016

VISA COLLECTED - 4th AUGUST 2016

USA TIME :wub:

POE- 15th OCTOBER 2016

SSN- 7th NOVEMBER 2016

GREEN CARD- 30th NOVEMBER 2016

Omg same thing happened to me today. I gave my home address and phone number will that be a problem? Scared.

Not necessarily, I mean people give their addresses and phone numbers all the time on eBay and Craigslist. Just don't communicate with them anymore.

I had a kind of "scam" I suppose. It started with a phone call from this lady with a bit of an accent - she said her manager had read my resume, was totes impressed with it (it wasn't that great, I mean I just do admin) and wanted to do an interview. So I was like ok let's do this.

I didn't really understand any of the job stuff she was telling me, it was intentionally vague and her accent got in the way a bit. The company is called Banker's Life. Sounds kind of financey and banky, right? I decided to go down anyway for the interview because it got me out of the apt and driving quite far (Parma down to Medina!). Got there and it's a friggin seminar being given to equally unimpressed people. Basically to cold call and visit old people to convince them to buy insurance. Banker's Life provide the leads and we sell sell sell! Totally at our own pace but if you don't sell to a million people by Friday you're fired.

I stuck around and listened but when it came to filling out the paperwork, I did the bare minimum, didn't give too much info then told them it wasn't for me and left.

I was annoyed because the phone call and subsequent email I got made it sound like a legit job interview.

I don't remember if we had to pay for the training or not. Probably did.

After that I got a few calls from sales places even though I didn't want sales, so I made my resume private. Got a real job soon after in data entry.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Not necessarily, I mean people give their addresses and phone numbers all the time on eBay and Craigslist. Just don't communicate with them anymore.

I had a kind of "scam" I suppose. It started with a phone call from this lady with a bit of an accent - she said her manager had read my resume, was totes impressed with it (it wasn't that great, I mean I just do admin) and wanted to do an interview. So I was like ok let's do this.

I didn't really understand any of the job stuff she was telling me, it was intentionally vague and her accent got in the way a bit. The company is called Banker's Life. Sounds kind of financey and banky, right? I decided to go down anyway for the interview because it got me out of the apt and driving quite far (Parma down to Medina!). Got there and it's a friggin seminar being given to equally unimpressed people. Basically to cold call and visit old people to convince them to buy insurance. Banker's Life provide the leads and we sell sell sell! Totally at our own pace but if you don't sell to a million people by Friday you're fired.

I stuck around and listened but when it came to filling out the paperwork, I did the bare minimum, didn't give too much info then told them it wasn't for me and left.

I was annoyed because the phone call and subsequent email I got made it sound like a legit job interview.

I don't remember if we had to pay for the training or not. Probably did.

After that I got a few calls from sales places even though I didn't want sales, so I made my resume private. Got a real job soon after in data entry.

WOW this sounds awful. I got a check of almost $50,000 on mail after two days (fedex) and the address was from NYC. The letter was soo weird saying it would be dangerous if i dont deposit in bank and As I should deposit I should keep on emailing on a new address. I found out this site before that so thank god. I flushed the check anyway.

Yes they sound soo good and steal identity of others and other company and contact with theor name that's more annoying. Now it has become so hard to trust anyone telling they will interview unless face to face.

Met: Mid 2011

DATING: 4th NOVEMBER 2011 (F) :yes:

Engaged (USA): 30th APRIL 2014

Married( INDIA ): 20th MAY 2015 (L) (L)

VISA PROCESS BEGINS :cry:

USCIS JOURNEY :bonk:

I-130: 4th SEPTEMBER 2015

PRIORITY DATE: 4th SEPTEMBER 2015

SERVICE CENTER: NEBRASKA

RFE: 15th JANUARY 2016 :crying:

HARDCOPY RECEIVED: 28th JANUARY 2016(one passport size photo of my husband)

RFE SENT: 29th JANUARY 2016

RFE RECEIVED: 1st FEBRUARY 2016

I-130 APPROVED: 18th February 2016 (162days) :dancing:

NOA2 HARDCOPY RECEIVED- 27th FEBRUARY 2016

NVC TIME :clock:

I-130 SENT TO NVC- 29th FEBRUARY 2016

Received Case and Invoice Number- 15th March 2016

SUBMITTED DS-261- 15th March 2016

Visited husband in USA for 2months (22nd March TO 23rd May 2016) on Tourist Visa :goofy:

PAY AOS BILL - 7th APRIL2016

PAY IV BILL - 23rd APRIL 2016

SEND (AOS+IV) PACKAGE - 4th MAY 2016

NVC RECEIVED - 9th MAY 2016

SCAN DATE - 9th MAY 2016 :clock:

CASE COMPLETE - 10th JUNE 2016 :dancing:

NVC CC EMAIL RECEIVED- 17th JUNE 2016

MUMBAI CONSULATE TIME :clock:

The Real Game Begins :shocked:

MEDICAL - 20th JULY 2016

BIOMETRICS - 29th JULY 2016

INTERVIEW - 1st AUGUST 2016

RESULT- APPROVED :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Visa ISSUED WITHIN 2HRS OF INTERVIEW :jest:

READY FOR PICKUP AT KOLKATA - 3rd AUGUST 2016

VISA COLLECTED - 4th AUGUST 2016

USA TIME :wub:

POE- 15th OCTOBER 2016

SSN- 7th NOVEMBER 2016

GREEN CARD- 30th NOVEMBER 2016

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up glassdoor, I had so many scam calls from them.

I'm using linkedin and indeed now.

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Zombie thread locked from further comment. If you have your own question, please start a new topic.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.